Home | About | Donate

We Have The Chance Now To Go Bold On Health Care – And Freedom – For All

We Have The Chance Now To Go Bold On Health Care – And Freedom – For All

LeeAnn Hall

The House of Representatives is slated to vote Thursday on a health care repeal bill that will gut the Affordable Care Act and end Medicaid as we know it. In legislative and human terms, passage of the bill would set us back not to 2009 but to 1964.

Republican politicians are literally cutting their own throats, politically, all because of Trumps promise to his base, and their blind support of this radical departure from sanity, morality, and equality.

A 'movement' promoting a Single Payer Healthcare system described in easy factual terms everyone can understand, enlisting those in Trumps base who are already starting to defect, is perhaps the greatest chance the current situation affords us.

Nobody would give a Good Goddamn if the ACA was dismantled, if it was done to provide, finally, Health Care for all US Citizens, paid for through our Taxes.

We all know that we want it.

We all know that the money is there.

And we all know that it's just going to the WRONG PLACES.

We need a National Party that supports Universal Health Care/Expanded Medicare-For-All! Sure as hell the Democratic Party won't!

"Affordable Care Act’s most important accomplishments: significant progress on the idea that all people should get health care" that should read "health insurance." Health insurance, regardless of who pays for it -- IS NOT HEALTH CARE.

"But even if the Republicans succeed in repealing the health care law, they won’t be able to erase what may be one of the Affordable Care Act’s most important accomplishments: significant progress on the idea that all people should get health care."

""I want you to understand why I am fighting so hard for the Affordable Care Act," she said at Grand View University after hearing from a woman who spoke about her daughter receiving cancer treatment thanks to the health care law. "I don't want it repealed, I don't want us to be thrown back into a terrible, terrible national debate. I don't want us to end up in gridlock. People can't wait!"

She added, "People who have health emergencies can't wait for us to have a theoretical debate about some better idea that will never, ever come to pass." — Hillary Clinton. http://www.cbsnews.com/news/hillary-clinton-single-payer-health-care-will-never-ever-happen/

In the last paragraph of that article from CBS news they quote Clinton from 1994 stating why she is really fighting for the ACA: "If, for whatever reason, the Congress doesn't pass health care reform, I believe, and I may be to totally off base on this, but I believe that by the year 2000 we will have a single payer system," she said."

Hillary saw the handwriting on the wall, and so fought for the Heritage Foundation's insurance mandate in 1993, in order to prevent single payer from happening and protect the for-profit system. They called it "HillaryCare." It took longer than they hoped, but Democrats finally passed their anti-single payer bill in 2008. If they had used that opportunity to pass a single payer plan instead, everyone would now be covered and Republicans would be facing another "third rail" situation similar to Medicare and Social Security; it would be much more difficult to "repeal and replace-with-nothing" after covering everyone in the country for 7 years.

Democrats are now desperate to save their handout to the insurance and pharma industries, and Republicans are just as desperate to keep it while making it look like they repealed it. In the meantime, despite opposition from both parties, the clamor for single payer grows louder.

Hillary may have been right in '94 (if a little off on the timing) about single payer being inevitable unless they stopped it cold, knowing that only Democrats could do that and get away with it. Our not-so-friend Paul Ryan may have just been the catalyst we have needed to finally make it happen.

That party is the Green Party. Try it, you'll like it.

As John Kenneth Galbraith put it, "Nothing so completely deprives a person of liberty as the complete absence of money." And nothing can so suddenly and irrevocably deprive a person of money as an unexpected medical problem when you couldn't afford insurance in the first place ... People, you really need to wake up to the REAL threats to your freedom!

The left's challenge when it comes to seizing the opportunity to push, at long last, for universal health care, is pushing past the nervous, unimaginative, and complacent within the Democratic Party.

These incrementalist cowards blindly buy into the limits foisted upon them by D party leadership.

They settle for the crumbs called Obama-RomneyCare.

They keep their powder dry in wait for a day that they themselves stall.

Worst of all, they denigrate those who would fight for more on the behalf of all Americans.

Don't be hamstrung by the weak-willed. Fight for single payer now!

"government-guaranteed health care"

ACA is NOT "government-guaranteed healthcare." It is government-mandated health insurance.