Home | About | Donate

We Know Protests Work. So Why Aren’t We Protesting?

We Know Protests Work. So Why Aren’t We Protesting?

Anthea Butler

As I watched the massive protests of President Donald Trump and his policies in London during his visit earlier this month, I couldn’t help but hope that London’s fierce, festive display of resistance would remind Americans that this is no time to feel weary.

Americans are content with watching others protest.

Most lack the desire to speak their values.

Sustained Protests like occupy will never happen again.

The Democratic Party does not do populism. They are supposed to be the opposition… [crickets]

I would question the claim that protests work to any great degree, any more. I’ve been protesting for nearly 50 years, starting with the Vietnam War and all wars since. I’ve protested for women’s rights, against global warming and other environmental issues. I’ve protested against racism and more. Now we have a Trump, endless war, racism on the rise, even more war and military spending and runaway global warming with little more than talks as a solution and I’m living to see women’s rights under attack like never, before. Not much to show for almost 50 years of protest.

The problem is that the oligarchy and power elite have not been stagnant since the Vietnam War. The power structure in this country has adapted and learned how to deal with all the traditional forms of protest. For example, compare how they control the media, now, compared to fifty years, ago. Then there’s increased surveillance, loss of civil rights, militarization of the police and more. Not telling anyone, here, not to protest - I’ll continue to do so - but if we keep using the same traditional forms of resistance, we’ll keep getting the same lack of results. A Donald Trump in the White House is proof that we need new and more effective ways of protest. Carrying a catchy resistance sign in a protest march while Trump just goes off and plays golf just doesn’t cut it, anymore.

I doubt that is true, but if it were, whose fault would that be.

“…compare how they control the media, now, compared to fifty years, ago.”

I agree that that is a BIG part of the problem. However, I think a bigger part of the problem is what Pony Boy stated above AND, I believe, the feelings of apathy due to constantly being ignored/defeated.

You need to think more about the evil GOP as the opposition party…not the Dems…fascism has come to America and we need to rise…and stop it.

If it is in a national scale it can make a difference over time. The problem is…today’s Americans are too impatient. Change happens slow…even when FDR was addressing the Great Depression it took over a decade for things to really turn around…and people thought Obama was not fast enough? Give me a break. The Vietnam War was a decade long…yet over time the anti-war movement just grew and grew, and did not stop…until the war ended. And yes…sometimes violence and bloodshed and a willingness to get arrested and all of that…was necessary. We will need that kind of will now…if we are to ever achieve that kind of social change again. Now people are just “suck ups” and would rather stay inside and watch TV…and look at their phones and watch others protest…and accept their low wages and blame it on others if their rights are infringed upon.

There have been so many protests since Trump took office that the number is probably in the thousands. Protests are constantly being organized through the internet. I think that I have participated in more than half a dozen. The protests may have influenced votes in Congress and may help build momentum for the election in November. I think the protests did help derail the Muslim ban at least for a time and get action to stop breaking up families at the border. A big nationwide protest is planned for climate change in September. There is probably no shortage of protests (even the Russians have organized protests to create dissension).

Millions of people all over the world protests against Iraq. Millions.
The result? Subsequent marches were not given protest permits. People were roughed up, jailed and sentenced. Then the protests stopped. You may get one protest for a feel-good attitude in the public. And some small things may be talked about.

I’ll go and protest anytime anywhere, but I need someone to push me in my wheelchair. I am disabled and in chronic pain and I just can’t make it otherwise. I don’t have a van or an electric wheelchair or scooter. It’s very frustrating for me. I was in the three mile island protest in Boston as a college student, but I’ve been waiting for this resistance all my life and now that it’s happening, I’m too sick and disabled to participate. I’ll come out locally if I can, but there isn’t much I can do. I can’t even protest about my own issue of having 2/3 of my opioid pain meds taken away that has left me in suffering ever since because of other people’s drug abuse and overdose problems. There are millions of other people in my situation as well.

A huge story that no one in the “progressive” media is covering. I guess mass medical murder isn’t as sexy as Trump floats.

Pookie, I admire your patriotism. You are a symbol for all of us, to exercise our rights.

maybe the use of gender and gate keeping to have protest movement led exclusively by women and omit men of color from inclusion and leadership, leaves men out.
women only is bigotry.
men of color have no reason to march, when the movement is based in misandry and racism.
read the mission statement of black lives matter!
no straight black men allowed in leadership.
pure gender based bigotry!