Home | About | Donate

'We Lost a Legend Today': Grateful Dead Lyricist and Internet Visionary John Perry Barlow Dead at Age 70

'We Lost a Legend Today': Grateful Dead Lyricist and Internet Visionary John Perry Barlow Dead at Age 70

Jon Queally, staff writer

John Perry Barlow, who wrote lyrics for some of the Grateful Dead's most recognizable songs and later became a visionary champion of Internet freedoms and digital rights, died on Wednesday at age of 70. His passing was immediately met with outpourings of grief and remembrances from fans, friends, and collaborators who celebrated his contributions to the music world and his inspired activism.

RIP, JPB. I lost a good friend who tragically passed away on February 1, 2018 in a freak accident. My friend Henry was 63 years old and was a true Dead Head. Upon learning of his passing I fired up a few bowls and turned on the Dead in his honor. I will do the same for John Perry Barlow.
What a long strange trip it’s been.

"Flight of the seabirds, scattered like lost words
Wheel to the storm and fly.

Sometimes I think we may be taking Life all too seriously.
RIP John Perry Barlow.

Workingman’s Dead is on my list of the top ten albums of the 20th century, along with American Beauty and Live in Europe 72.

Guess that makes me a defacto deadhead.

Me too Ray!

Nothing wrong with Franklin’s Tower either. Or, If I want to get teary-eyed…“Standing on the Moon.”

Guess I’ve showed my hand as a Dead-Head. Oh, well…

Grate article and comments. Thank you.