Home | About | Donate

'We Must Heed the Warning': 1 in 3 Freshwater Fishes—Vital to Food and Jobs for Millions—Face Extinction

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2021/02/23/we-must-heed-warning-1-3-freshwater-fishes-vital-food-and-jobs-millions-face

2 Likes

In this article it states: . “The number of fish species in the Citarum has decreased by 60% since 2008.”

~https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2020/nov/02/rotten-river-life-on-one-of-the-worlds-most-polluted-waterways-photo-essay

1 Like

This is so horrible. Jeremy Wade has been chronicling this for years.

~https://jeremywade.co.uk/

2 Likes

I didn’t see CAFO’s mentioned in this piece but they have to be one of the biggest destroyers of water quality going. And many of the corporate owners are from out of the country wheedling their way in to out of the way small town local officials. Beware of those things. They are destroying communities and the natural world.

3 Likes

When freshwater habitats are properly restored (more likely rehabilitated to near-to-natural) and restocked, if necessary and possible, they tend to rebound fairly successfully. Restoration requires consideration of upland (watershed) resources as well as wetland, stream, lake, estuary, bay, etc. habitats. Certainly, “permanent development” must be accommodated, but land-use practices, such as farming may be adjusted to minimize aquatic impacts. Corporate greed has been the major sinner as we all know. Our economic systems must reward the restorers by taxing the corporations for their past sins at a rate that induces a change in their culture. Cute ads on TV ain’t going to cut it.

1 Like

Lake Perch is by far the best eating fish. In PA and WI it was common years ago to catch it from lakes and rivers. Now because of the climate the Perch young get eaten. If you want it you have to order it from Canada or get really lucky. We have so many huge infrastructure projects. Time to end these stupid wars in the Mid East and bring the WWII troops home.

3 Likes

Take a tip from Trump –

We can’t have the left in separate battles for Roe – for journalists/free press –
for protecting animal life on this planet/oceans – for protecting our water – for infrastructure –
for stopping fracking – or anything else. It’s all urgently important –

WE NEED TO UNITE THE LEFT – SO THAT WHATEVER THE ISSUE ALL OF THE LEFT
COMES OUT INTO THE FRAY AND PUSHES WITH ALL ITS MIGHT AGAINST THE RIGHT –
AND THAT MAY INCLUDE BIDEN …

IF YOU WANT SOCIAL SECURITY – ALL OF THE LEFT SHOULD BE FIGHTING FOR IT.

LET’S GO –

1 Like

If plastic is more profitable than seafood, we can surmise what The Owners will prioritize.

I’ve found that that does not matter, unfortunately. To cite two examples: Arrowhead (and other brands) bottled water has a Swiss owner (Nestle’). Crystal Geyser (another bottled water brand) owned by a Japanese pharmaceutical corp. At least in CA, the government is just fine with this.

I don’t know what suddenly prompted him to say this, but:

~https://news.sky.com/story/attenboroughs-stark-warning-on-climate-change-its-already-too-late-12226694

The headline says it all: fishes “vital to food and jobs for millions” face extinction. That rampant anthropocentrism – the only reason anything is important is because it supports life for us, the valuable humans – is the reason the world is in the state it is in in the first place.

I’ve seen housing developments and unknowing, uncaring homeowners move into tributaries on my local trout stream. They pesticide and herbicide and fill in the swamps that used to regulate the flow and filter the rainwater. The river has become coffee colored siltwater that increased the temperature enough to be uninhabitable by trout who need clean cold water and abundant insect life to survive. And guess what, they don’t survive there anymore.
Ignorance has killed my stream. I even witnessed a particularly appalling scene of a true moron frantically spraying poison on a mayfly hatch! They live above the water surface for twenty four hours! This idiot was afraid of a beautiful natural occurance.
We have no chance with this kind of ignorance.

2 Likes

As long as humans continue to worship ‘In God We Trust’ and see themselves apart and not as part of the environment, the natural world will suffer. The 6th mass extinction is well on its way.

Don’t be silly. We must search for life on other planets while we instigate the 6th Great Extinction in earth’s history here at home.