Home | About | Donate

We Need a Strong Anti-War Movement—Yesterday

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2020/01/08/we-need-strong-anti-war-movement-yesterday

2 Likes

We need a strong Anti-Empire Movement to stop these Wars and Emperor Trump!

1 Like

Yes, yes, and yes! We need more voices like Petersen-Smith calling all of us out for what we do and don’t do in the face of these ongoing massive crimes. And we all need to put our lives into the mix on the side of peace and in resolute lifelong opposition to war.

3 Likes

I remember the Viet Nam war mess. And I protested it. Now I’m in my 75th year, with health that is only so-so. But I’ll be up on my two feet, with my walker if necessary, to protest the endless Trump injustices. I keep remembering the only thing necessary for evil to succeed is for good people to do nothing. None of us is too old, or too young.

6 Likes

Dear America:
When I was a little girl in school all of us kids learned that America was the place, the best place, the most fair place, the place where everyone wanted to live.
Well—I am not impressed with who you have become, America. Maybe you were always kind of weird, but early school lessons can stick for a long time—in fact, with reality shining through-----America, you are like a really bad date.

You seem to lie a lot about—a lot. You talk about freedom, but I guess that’s only for you—and we all get the left overs, where ever they may be.
We still—well just a bit-- are still believing that someday, you really could be somebody!
But—I don’t see it happening with me. YOU, sadly promise so much—but deliver so little. You profess your love( of the world) but stand us all up so frequently.
And even worse, in a land where so many are seeing you as a nightmare date-------we all hoped that someday a “more perfect union, " would be----but , no, I guess not.
And as you continue on your way, lying and dissembling-------I think a lot of us are sad, because ,” you really coulda been a contender. " : (
America is now moving towards a Brave and New Climate world----but We the People are moving ahead —we have seen the Promised land----and it ain’t you! No more bad dates—but a real and proactive life for us all in an America yet to be!!

4 Likes

The Democrats are not exactly the peace party. They are every bit as complicit in endless war-for-profit as the Republicans. Yes, we need to stop Trump, but it’s the entire empire of corporatocracy and imperialism that we need to tear down. And both parties have created this empire and are doing their damnedest to keep it going.

5 Likes

“Action and reaction are equal and opposite.” That is the third of Newton’s laws.
If it is fair for crown princes and presidents and emperors to murder people then it is fair for people to murder princes and presidents and emperors. Fair is fair.

2 Likes

Brilliantly said. A huge amount of reality wrapped in a simple analogy everyone can understand.

3 Likes

Yesterday turns out to be 17 years ago when George W Bush and his cohorts lied to the American people to pull the wool over our eyes and give him an excuse for the invasion of Iraq. It was a totally illegal war. But rather than withdrawing from Iraq when he was elected a few years later, President Obama continued the wars in both Afghanistan and Iraq and called for a new war in Syria, again a matter of Regime change, cooking up many lies.The American public has been so propagandized by our government and its partner, the mainstream press, that most people are thoroughly convinced that the wars we propagate with all the attendant illegal policies, torture, rendition, drone strikes, assassinations, are the only way to kerp us ‘safe’ from terrorists. They would be astonished to think that WE are the terrorists! It has been determined that 810,000 people have died from our wars of invasion. Almost a million people! And for what? For oil, for strategic reasons, for the sake of our allies, to keep the military/industrial complex alive and well; to maintain political power; to manufacture pretend enemies for the above reasons. There are and have been peace groups shouting out the truth for the past 18 years but our voices, though heard by many are only an ineffectual whisper, allowed by our government to say the truth only because we are so ineffectual. If more people acted on what we are saying, we would be discredited and attacked by our government into silence out of fear of reprisals. The truth is the enemy of our government. Yes, we need a strong anti-war movement, but Americans are so infected by all the lies we have been told about our country and its greatness that we are too weak to hear the truth, much less do anything about it. We really only care about ourselves and the rest of the world can go hang. If we had ANY strength or conscience left we would not be experiencing a Presidential campaign where candidates don’t dare talk about foreign policy, because any strength the Ametican people still have would be to punish the candidates who tell the truth about our wars.

3 Likes

What I find important in my older state of being is to engage with youth and those entering their middle years and have discussions of their understanding of the world at large and without being too dogmatic try to influence and express the importance of gaining knowledge of history and the consequences of actions.

1 Like

No. We need a review of the 3 billion dollars going to Israel every single year. Some of this comes right back to arms merchants in the U.S. Hence, we will always support Israel’s war plans. It’s Israel, stupid.

2 Likes

No, it’s the USA, stupid. The USA has never needed anyone to “make” it be what it is and has always been - a terrorist, settler-colonialist, murderous, imperialist warfare state.

Iraq, Libya, and Iran all were moving to denominate oil in other currencies, and found themselves in the crosshairs of US violence. If Israel literally disappeared tomorrow, the USA would still be at war in the oil-rich areas of the world, to control access to fossil fuels, and to enforce dollar-denomination of that oil.

3 Likes

folks, beware the false equivalency stated here, that is intended to demoralize and divide the opposition to Trump’s policies. While far from perfect, remember the Obama-Biden administration did support the nuclear agreement with Iran, even returning their impounded funds - (plus their rapprochement with Cuba, staying with the nuclear treaties with Russia…

1 Like

as the world’s leader in weapons and global interference, I agree it is most important to have a real peace movement in the US. That said, we need a world-wide peace movement because the rest of the world is wasting too much money and resources on the military also, and there are violent people and movements in many other places, not the least of which include Iran, Iraq, Saudi Arabia, Israel, Palestine, Syria, Turkey…

More than that, the establishment democrats have attempted to strangle every genuine peace movement for decades, from Vietnam to 2003 (remember the comical John Kerry “reporting for duty” with the beaming idiot Bob Shrum standing behind him?) and if one dares to crop up now we will have to fight them again. They will say it’s their war robot or Trump, just like they said it was Humphrey or Nixon. Michael Ratner understood this well. Get out on the streets, and don’t take no for an answer from the Nazi Republicans or the pathetic dollar drenched Democrats.

3 Likes

Not sure why this author mentioned Susan Rice as if she had any credibility in diplomacy or peace…Rice - along with Hillary - championed the regime change war in Libya - based on lies and misinformation, which transferred Libya from a prosperous, progressive and terror-free nation, to a failed state with Sharia law and terrorist haven with slave markets. She also championed overthrowing Mubarak in Egypt, Tunisia, helping the Saudi’s levy war on Yemen, keeping us engaged in Iraq & Afghinstan, and trying to initiate another bogus regime change war and more false flags in Syria.

This author utterly FAILS to mention Tulsi Gabbard, the ONLY presidential candidate who has been speaking out relentlessly on the topic of endless war and the need for diplomacy and peace for the last year. Tulsi hosted a foreign polcy discussion and panel with Steven Kinser, Dennis Kucinich and Lawrence Lessig last week. You should have covered it! Tulsi alone has deployed twice to the middle east, and knows the cost of wars. In addition to being a soldier, she has served 7 yrs on the Homeland Securty, Foreign Policy and Armed Services committees in congress.