Home | About | Donate

"We Need a Working People's Bailout": Unemployment Claims Hit 30 Million as Many Struggle to Afford Necessities

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/04/30/we-need-working-peoples-bailout-unemployment-claims-hit-30-million-many-struggle

1 Like

The rage, desperation and political frustration this crisis will generate cannot be contained by the corrupt Democratic or Republican parties. We need a sustained mobilization from below.

3 Likes

Mnuchin assures the people that the payment of 1200$ should last them ten weeks and that the economy likely in recovery mode by then.

Trump now saying any more stimulus off the table and Social security should be cut instead.

Do people see where this is going?

Meanwhile the 1 percent make a killing off this not only receiving millions in funding but being given money to lay people off.

3 Likes

If anyone asks, I know what has to be cut.

1 Like

It’s millions more than just the 30 million officially registered unemployed. There are many reports of people trying to apply for weeks to no avail. Millions have even given up trying.
And on top of all of this, of those who still have jobs, it is estimated that approximately 30% have had their hours and or pay reduced.

3 Likes

People are not working because the government shut down the economy. Therefore the government should be paying the wages of those who were forced to stay home. It should be that simple. But in this country, of course nothing like that will ever happen. And people who can’t work are being made to feel ashamed that they didn’t manage to save for this kind of unforseen event. People are falling through the very huge cracks too. Several of my friends who should get unemployment aren’t able to for various reasons. LIke moving from being self employed to employed by a businesses shortly before this happened. Or artists, musicians, people with their own very tiny businesses. I hope people wake up and see what is going on! That may be the only silver lining here.

2 Likes

Exactly. Congress & Trump were real quick in bailing out banks, Boieng & other airlines the oil industry, but not small businesses nor us workers. They should be voted OUT.

1 Like

Not counting those who try and try to file, but can´t due to the system that is overwhelmed.

1 Like