Home | About | Donate

We Need Biodiversity-Based Agriculture to Solve the Climate Crisis

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2019/10/07/we-need-biodiversity-based-agriculture-solve-climate-crisis

3 Likes

Excellent as always, Shiva frames our situation on a solid foundation of real-world living and material processes – not on extracting wealth and profit and power from the industrialized colonization of everything.

More of Shiva’s solid reality-based analysis and prescription like this is sorely needed. So much space here is spent on microscopic analysis of ugly politics. We need to recognize that politics is a tiny slice of our reality, and we need to expand our understanding to whole-systems thinking and whole-systems design. We need to live whole-systems lives, and engage our lives and our world with respect to all the actual material outcomes of our actions.

7 Likes

Very well said, as usual, old friend webwalk. My dearest just treated me to a documentary about plant-based whole foods pioneer Thomas Campbell (another fellow of eminent credentials who became persona non grata to M$MBS when he started getting a clue about nutrition and cancer).

But the deeper point in Campbell’s story is his struggle against reductionism. Because everybody has to know nothing about virtually everything, we’re continually doomed to “solutions” to one problem which become sources of dozens more.

I had the treasured good fortune of a chance to say hi briefly (in here, awhile back) to a true fellow Earthling I’ve honored for years, Kathy Kelly (wishing her a restful recovery). She mentioned reading an old favorite of mine called The Kingdom of God is Within You, by Leo Tolstoy. That brought to mind his Letter to a Hindu (from Tolstoy’s blistering conclusion):

What are wanted for the Indian as for the Englishman, the Frenchman, the German, and the Russian, are not Constitutions and Revolutions, nor all sorts of Conferences and Congresses, nor the many ingenious devices for submarine navigation and aerial navigation, nor powerful explosives, nor all sorts of conveniences to add to the enjoyment of the rich, ruling classes; nor new schools and universities with innumerable faculties of science, nor an augmentation of papers and books, nor gramophones and cinematographs, nor those childish and for the most part corrupt stupidities termed art – but one thing only is needful: the knowledge of the simple and clear truth which finds place in every soul that is not stupefied by religious and scientific superstitions – the truth that for our life one law is valid – the law of love, which brings the highest happiness to every individual as well as to all mankind.

That’s from 1908. The last sentence (omitted) is a little embarrassing, as good Leo shares his confidence that good will out, or something. That part is getting hard to credit.

2 Likes

“Our agriculture system is not primarily a food system, it is an industrial system, and it is not sustainable.”

I’d add that it is a MILITARY legacy industry

2 Likes

I take it you refer to:
“It will in due time emerge and make its way to general recognition, and the nonsense that has obscured it will disappear of itself, and with it will go the evil from which humanity now suffers.” (emphasis added)

Keep the faith AN !
When the door to a dark enclosure is opened, it is not the the dark that spills out, but the light that floods in…
kinda gives ‘get a handle on it’ some feisty inspiration doncha think?

2 Likes

Thank you Doctor Vandana Shiva, I always learn something new and admire all you do and your documentation. Hopefully the Western World will catch on before it is too late. I am sad the gardening season was short this year but I did produce alot and froze much for the winter. It is so rewarding to harvest and go out and snack my way thru the garden.

2 Likes

No, we need less people and more productive people. Shut down social media like Facebook and encourage people to get involved in real life again.

“We need to recarbonize the world with biodiversity and living carbon. We need to leave dead carbon in the ground. We need to move from oil to soil. We need to urgently move from a fossil fuel-based system to a biodiversity-based ecological civilization. We can plant the seeds of hope, the seeds of the future.”

We should also recognize the destructive inclinations that lead to our current situation and start paying
the debt we owe. Or, just accept our fate with little or no understanding of ourselves and how superficial we are in terms of understanding the natural world.

1 Like