Home | About | Donate

'We Need Immediate Accountability': Calls Mount for Fired Atlanta Police Officer Who Killed Rayshard Brooks to Be Arrested and Charged

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/06/14/we-need-immediate-accountability-calls-mount-fired-atlanta-police-officer-who-killed

3 Likes

June 19-21 National Days of protests for the Movement of Black Lives Matter. Every corner of US America needs you. Show up. Be there.

12 Likes

Here’s another angle

"April 9th should be a new national holiday celebrating the defeat of the Confederacy!"

SIGN NOW: Celebrate the defeat of the Confederacy EVERY YEAR

~https://actionnetwork.org/forms/sign-now-celebrate-the-defeat-of-the-confederacy-every-year/?link_id=0&can_id=77f2661ca8584011d14e912560924bcc&source=email-sign-now-celebrate-the-defeat-of-the-confederacy&email_referrer=email_831044&email_subject=sign-now-celebrate-the-defeat-of-the-confederacy

6 Likes

Dont Expect the Dinocrats to give anything but lip service

As Calls to Defund the Police Grow Louder, Joe Biden Wants to Give Them More Money
~https://theintercept.com/2020/06/11/defund-the-police-joe-biden-cops/

8 Likes

“Too many investigations of police shootings, particularly those involving black men and women, disappear into a black hole for months or years without resolution,” Khwaja said Saturday.

That quote nails it. The only solution seems to me is NO MORE BS TALK! BLACK LIVES WILL NOT MATTER UNTIL WE HAVE A NON-VIOLENT REVOLUTION. The African, Americans have been slaves and second class American citizens for over 400 years WITHOUT ANY RESOLUTION?

2 Likes

The history of the police in the USA was that they were originally formed to chase down blacks (slaves) on the run. Nothing has changed in the USA. And NOTHING WILL CHANGE until the police are defunded and better yet dissolved completely. Their motto of protecting and serving the citizens has been proven to be nothing but an outright lie. They are nothing but state sanctioned thugs murdering the citizens they claim to protect and serve. It is long past time to eliminate all of them and find another compassionate manner to deal with the real criminals running amok. Speaking of which, how about we start with all the white collar criminals who are looting billions if not trillions from the citizens and the politicians who protect them. And to go further, if we guaranteed a basic income, housing, water, health care, etc., to all, “crime” as the US defines it would drop to almost nothing. It is a pretty simple and humane way to live instead of the insanity we now have.

12 Likes

And Bernie wants me to vote for Biden? SHAME ON YOU BERNIE!

2 Likes

Watch John Oliver’s show from LAST Sunday night (Last Week Tonight). He did an excellent job on this subject.

2 Likes

Yea, seems to be a disconnect there dont ya think?

Yeah Phred. Especially watch the last two minutes of the show where John gives a black lady the chance to speak her mind about how racism has affected her life and the lives of others in her community.

It’s powerful.

5 Likes

True. I lost all respect for Bernie in 2016. When Bernie said he would support the eventual Democratic nominee for POTUS and he had to know because of the corruption of the DNC it would be HRC in 2016 and Biden in 2020. .

1 Like

“Meanwhile back at the ranch”, Biden calls for more police funding:

~https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4zi5yJUMsY

Hi Phred_Pharkel:
Well----here is is June 14, FLAG DAY.
Maybe we need a new flag: red. white and blue doesn’t seem to be working. I understand that the police have their own flag, which looks like the American one except it has black lives over the red and a big blue line too.

There is that old Sunday school song/:" red and yellow black and white…they are precious in his sight…"
So maybe the flag needs more and different colors to define what America should be
Right now, the red stripes seem to stand for the blood of all the black people have been murdered, and the indigenous people too . The blue is of course the police—and the white, now stands very sadly for the whitewashing of the deaths of so many black people and indigenous people throughout America’s history.This suggested change should not be a problem as change is often good. Besides if corporations can become “people” the flags can surely change into a flag of colors for all! : )

3 Likes

The link below is the full vid, 6:46 min. of Kimberly Jones. Her explanation, not fully releveled on John Oliver’s clip is worth watching by everyone. She has a brilliant analogy of the history of African Americans in this country.

(h)ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=399&v=IIci8J4&feature=emb_logo
How Can We Win Kimberly Jones Full Length David Jones Media Clean Edit (#BLM) 2020 What Can I Do
Note, not sure if the address has 2 lower case “L” or 2 upper case “i”
And the parentheses in the title are mine, to avoid rejection by the MOD.

Back to the story, according to a WP story, “it was Shield’s decision to step down, and she will remain employed by the city in an undetermined role.”
Pulling down her department head salary, no doubt, at the citizens of Atlanta’s expense.

2 Likes

From Fannie Lou Hamer:

This white man who is saying “it takes time.” For three hundred and more years they have had “time,” and now it is time for them to listen.

To support whatever is right, and to bring in justice where weve had so much injustice.

White Americans today don’t know what in the world to do because when they put us behind them, that’s where they made their mistake… they put us behind them, and we watched every move they made.

Sometimes it seem like to tell the truth today is to run the risk of being killed. But if I fall, I’ll fall five feet four inches forward in the fight for freedom. I’m not backing off.

I am sick and tired of being sick and tired.

8 Likes

Come on now, that’s crazy talk.

You act as though there is an ounce of compassion to be found anywhere in the United States.

Protestant work ethic and all that, you know.

//* end snark

A UBI would tremendously stimulate the economy and is going to be absolutely necessary with increasing development of AI and robotics, there will be massive unemployment.

2 Likes

Yeah, hard to figure Sanders. Talked the talk, refused to Walk the Walk. What a fraud.

2 Likes

If I am elected nothing fundamental will change – Joe Biden

When they tell it right to your face you gotta believe 'em.

Joe Biden is NOT kindly old Joe Mr. Niceguy.
He is a nasty, smarmy, deceitful, arrogant miscreant little bitch, a perfect United States presidential candidate.

6 Likes

No doubt Shield would of won in an arbitration hearing. Who cares, she is out of the First Circle of Power in the Fulton County area.
Keep your eye on the prize. Which, imo, is making the police either criminally liable for their actions or defunding them. No immunity whatsoever.
And, concerning Joe Biden: like so many here at CD who get it, he’s just such a leaky vessel to pour a progressive agenda into. It’ll spill and be sponged up and rung out into the mop bucket. Where, increasingly, the hopes and dreams of Americans are ending up. Down the drain, pretty much. The PTB think Joe Biden is the unification candidate; well for them, that’s mostly true.

1 Like

Not really. Sanders also pours cold water on “defund the police” lately.

1 Like