Home | About | Donate

'We Need Real Diplomacy,' Not Just Photo-Ops, Says Bernie Sanders as Trump Restarts Talks With North Korea

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/06/30/we-need-real-diplomacy-not-just-photo-ops-says-bernie-sanders-trump-restarts-talks

1 Like

Trump is not practicing diplomacy, he is simply fishing for a Nobel Peace Prize on the cheap. Nothing more, nothing less. Yes, he is that transparent (as he said he would be /s). There is no there there and never will be.
Good on Bernie for calling Trump out on his “reality” TV modus operandi.
Bernie 2020!

7 Likes

The Nobel Peace Prize has been discounted since Obama used it to surge Iraq and Afghanistan ,then go on to Bomb 5 other countries. He made it a pretty low bar for Trump. After Trump leaves office he will go para sailing with Richard Branson and have his own Netflix Series.

4 Likes

Obama got a Nobel Peace Prize.

Now TV Game Show Baby-in-Chief wants needs one too.

Also going to DPRK makes for good re-election campaign blather. Campaigning on the tax-payers’ money. Isn’t that illegal?

It may be a photo op… but it may also be a necessary photo op to further diplomacy. I don’t care how it gets done or who does it. Talking and handshakes are better than nukes and threats. This is bigger than any personality involved.

4 Likes

The thing is, the American people have “no” idea what words are being exchanged between these two “Heads of Hate, I mean State.”

2 Likes

Trump is the perfect president for a country that runs on appearances.

2 Likes

“Satire died the day Henry Kissinger accepted the Nobel Peace Prize.”
–Tom Lehrer

4 Likes

The best bad photo-op. Kim sitting with trump. Kim gets the adults chair or stool, and trump the other one that puts him a few inches lower than Kim.
A slap down on trump, that I’m surprised he let happen.
Trump looks right at home on the kiddies stool.

There is no way in hell that Kim Jong Un is going to give up his nuclear arsenal.

So Trump can write him love letters until doomsday – but there won’t be a breakthrough. Period.

I enjoy watching Kim walk. He looks like his diaper is full, but he doesn’t want you to notice.

Agree with hexkey23. If he’s trying to do a photo op…why so? Is pressure from the non-interventionist crowd making an impact? (MSM would never tell us)

SUZY KIM: Yes, absolutely. So, in the previous—my previous answer to the question, I had mentioned that there’s been an interesting coalition happening between some of the right and the left political wings in South Korea, for example, in welcoming Trump in his efforts for engagement with North Korea. On the other side, there’s been also, I think, an interesting convergence happening in the U.S. between both the conservatives, the traditional conservatives, and the Democrats, or the liberals, in terms of criticizing Trump for either his unpredictability or for the fact that he’s, quote, ‘cozying up’ to the so-called dictatorships around the world.

But as I tried to write about this last year when the first summit between Trump and Kim happened, I think what this signals, actually, is the fact that the American political leadership is quite unaware of the kind of opportunity that this presents for the Korean people. In other words, just simply evaluating Trump as a political calculation is undermining what potential opening Trump could be opening up for the Korean people. That is to say, Trump may have his own interests or calculations for why he is pursuing this kind of tactic with North Korea, in particular, in this case—it might be for self-aggrandizement, for example, or photo ops, as many of the quotes that you presented just now—but regardless of what his individual interests might be, I think it presents a particular opportunity in this moment where we can actually carry out a concrete peace process. https://www.democracynow.org/2019/7/1/trump_kim_jong_un_dmz_meeting

Dems & Pubs. It was the quiet humming of the diplomacy machine (and all that distracted from any interest in it). It put everyone in quasi-sleep, and they couldn’t/didn’t notice what was happening. But below the surface circumstances went on compounding themselves. And then one day people became aware it was just as if they were living in a land called the DRC…cholera on the one hand and ebola on the other. The thing that helped them realize it was a new king who strangely seemed to believe NOTHING bad would result no matter how rash his proclamations.

I DO THINK he’s re-thinking, but I’m afraid he needs to re-think MbS as well. Amnesty for both of’em’s all right with me…as long as the direction GETS CHANGED.

1 Like

Trump may be an almost wholly self-actor, but I don’t think he’s wholly cynical here. I think he believes a new peace arrangement is possible. I think this comes from an intuitive place. Hence him giving all his advisors the shake on this one.

Not saying its all gonna work out… sheesh! Who is anyone to know? But also, to everyone who would dismiss every last bit of this… get over the personalities involved, as well as your own personality’s proclivity to pre-emptively decide a “position” in all this. It may be madness. Or it may be crazy like fox. Or it may be a combo that stumbles into a breakthrough, as it unfolds.

Like, really, it’s kind of beyond our control now. No street protests or letter campaigns,etc, will have a jack spec of shit’s difference on what comes out with this. Better to hope for the best and not tear things down as a matter of course.

1 Like

Frankly as long as things stay where they are without war breaking out that is victory enough.

1 Like

He does seem like a big walking baby. Fitting friend for our Toddler in Chief.

Real astute cogitations! I’d like to say more, taking off on more of these sentences of yours. But, alas, starting with my own bidness (which is my connection to my own “community”)…it’s my day off and brass tacks are a’call’n.

But also, to everyone who would dismiss every last bit of this… get over the personalities involved, as well as your own personality’s proclivity to pre-emptively decide a ‘position’ in all this.

That makes me think sort of a Zuboffian thought [Shoshana Zuboff]. Just ponder for a minute the imperative for folks to decide a ‘position’ on the matter in the set of all online discussions germane. Think of the cumulative energy involved in folks feeling the need to do this! It’s an obsession way bigger than folks watching Game of Thrones. It’s mimetic behavior way bigger than giving-in to opioid escape. But it seems to develop in the same way as these phenomena. Quickly…very quickly…various corporate “persons” can, I’m sure, find it expedient themselves to get behind whatever online avalanches the kind of which Suzy Kim was describing [in that Democracy Now! link up there]…

On the other side, there’s been also, I think, an interesting convergence happening in the U.S. between both the conservatives, the traditional conservatives, and the Democrats, or the liberals, in terms of criticizing Trump for either his unpredictability or for the fact that he’s, quote, ‘cozying up’ to the so-called dictatorships around the world.

[your observation] “Or it may be a combo that stumbles into a breakthrough, as it unfolds.”

Don’t people remember Nixon? Don’t people remember how Nixon had us rank and file folks almost tearing out our hair?! It was the same way with Reagan, and likewise with Reagan there weirdly came along the Reykjavík Summit. These guys (and the MIC crowd) do get themselves in jams, and from time to time do have to opt out.

I differ a little with “not jack spec of shit’s difference,” ha! I mean, as long as I’m here with the rest of the Zuboffian crowd/horde [at least with one of the online crowds she sort of identifies], I might as well sign as many NO IRAN WAR petitions as come my way [if they don’t demand inordinate amounts of personal information]. On the other hand there is not-a-little evidence supporting your version of the fundamental odds.

Hey beantime, I’m flattered that you took the time to parse my cogitations. I will look up Zuboff. Personally I think history unfolds in both irresistable grand archs and ridiculous happenstances. I think people’s EGO, as well as the energy-draining cultural/media pressure you allude to, forces them to “take a stance” on everything. (Common Dreams, which I used to visit almost daily for over a decade, is reeeeeal big on this - Abby’s lil’ corner being the most gratuitous…)

I’m NOT advocating apathy. I’m just suggesting people have a little more openness to the potential of good fortune as well as bad, regardless of who rolled the dice. I suspect some people are so identified with their hatred of Trump the personality that they would rather see everything burn to vindicate their emotional obsession. Cutting of noses to spite faces or however that saying goes. But like, were already all strapped into this roller coaster. Thats where I’m at.