Home | About | Donate

We’re Stepping Up—Join Us For a Day to Halt This Climate Crisis

We’re Stepping Up—Join Us For a Day to Halt This Climate Crisis

Naomi Klein, Bill McKibben

On 20 September, at the request of the young people who have been staging school strikes around the world, we’re walking out of our workplaces and homes to spend the day demanding action on the climate crisis, the greatest existential threat that all of us face. It’s a one-day climate strike, if you will – and it will not be the last. This is going to be the beginning of a week of action all over the world. And we hope to make it a turning point in history.

We hope to make it a turning point in history.

5 Likes

I hope the people of the world turn out on Sept 20th. I am retired and I don’t frequent many consumer oriented crap selling or grocery stores, only what I need. I will not do any that day.

I live in Portland, Oregon and I am sick and tired of our local Sinclair Family who owns KATU News and respected local new people who sold their sole to Sinclair. I cringed sometimes watch local news so I no longer watch KATU News in Portland Oregon.

I suggest that we start locally across the country at Sinclair and Fox news organizations. Let protest outside of KATU on like 15th and NE Sandy Blvd .

2 Likes

Unless the object of this day of action is to make the Machine STOP for the day, nothing will come of it. We need Yellow Vest action that grinds the machine to a halt. Not just for a day, but EVERY week. Not a one off . That means Saturdays when more people can participate. And the target should not be just consumption halted for a day. That is middle class bullshit. Where is Labor? People of color? Indiginious? Womens’ rights?

5 Likes

I finally realized the monumental power of those few words spoken by a fictionalized little greenish man.

SEPTEMBER 20th 2019:
"Do or do not—there is no try. "

Yoda

1 Like

September 20–I’ll be with you and may this be the start of some real, effective action as in total, rolling non cooperation and the beginning of the end of capitalist exploitation of land and all living creatures. Hats off to our youth!

4 Likes

scheduling an appointment for 6 months down the road (okay, 4?) isn’t exactly an act of urgency.

go get 'em, marchers. I’m sure your display of impotence will send terror into the hearts of capitalists everywhere. At least when they take the occasional break from laughing at you.

maybe then you could schedule another crisis response for, say, tea time in December?
Oh wait, I have a bar mitzvah then. Can we make it after New Years?

Oh bullshit. Look at the signatories. You think Shiva and Chomsky and Atwood and LaDuke and Mann and all of them lack urgency? They are picking September 20 because it is the youth climate strike fourth Friday of the month, and the return of the school year, and they are giving time for preparation. And they are calling for a week of action, to kick off escalating action. This is not an end it is a beginning, What it starts is up to millions of us getting ready to strike.

Frankly, fuck you Drone. Get the fuck out there and organize meaningful action for September 20 and beyond.

2 Likes

Here’s what i wrote in the other thread:

Right Fucking ON! A call for a global one-day general strike ! Friday September 20, 2019. Put it on your calendar now! Talk to your friends and family about it.

If i’m not mistaken, i believe the youth strikers are demanding that “our leaders” declare a Climate Emergency. i believe we need to work on stating what it is that we are demanding as we strike. What is a Global Green New Deal? What is a Just Transition? What are your demands? What are our demands?

For myself, one demand is:
End War, de-fund war, stop preparing for war, eliminate nuclear weapons, stop all development and deployment of advanced weapons systems, and re-direct all war moneys into ecological restoration, Green New Deal and Just Transition.

2 Likes

Yes I agree, we need to have the GND fully fleshed out by then. The money saved (by our country alone) on the War machine will amount to TRILLIONs!

seriously, just flag the bloody post and find a couple of your friends to hop on and my nightmarish presence will end blissfully quickly.

enjoy your two marches this year. you’ll be able to fit about ten in before the deadline for arrives to have actually achieved something hits.

this is supposed to be a crisis. and it’s being treated like a tea party. and all you do is explain why the date was picked and what other social events and happenings are going down at the same time.
That’s all beside the point.

I’m didn’t say “don’t do anything”–although I’d probably be more justified in that at this point–nor did I say don’t march at all.

But this same stuff has been repeated over and over again for years. Yet the ppm rises without interruption. Does this really strike you as a demonstration of a sense of urgency? Because if it does, we have radically different concepts of what that actually means.

Feel free to cuss at me some more.

You people want everything to be so easy.

1 Like

This is not “a march,” you dope. Read the letter.

Also feel free to keep putting thoughts in my head and words in my mouth. If you’ve ever read my stuff here you know i’m not looking for anything easy. We have to stop the economy and take power from the looters, and put something else in its place. We need to start organizing.

A call for one-day global climate strike is not “a march,” it’s a great place to start.

DONALD J. TRUMP hates sand traps and crab grass. That’s why he and he alone will carry his golf clubs on September 20, 2019 to climate victory! Re-elect the man who single-handedly drained the swamp and locked up global charity fraud.

Waldo, D. Trump drained the swamp and put all the denizens in his cabinet.

If millions turn out in the street and not just a few hundred, the powers that be will see that this is not just a fringe effort. It is imperative that we make a lot of noise, but that is not all that is imperative. We must stop patronizing those who would destroy our planet. We must change our habits… Our shopping habits, our banking habits, our living habits. To the degree that we can, we must boycott the fossil fuel industry, which includes plastics. And we need to bury our leftovers in our yards and make our soil more fertile that way and not in need of chemical fertilizers. We need to talk to our friends and neighbors and expand our community, so that we can all stand together. A ragtag bunch of colonists defeated the greatest power in the world, and we can defeat money and greed. A new and better world awaits us, but nothing good can happen if we don’t make an effort to change things. “People say that I’m a dreamer, but I am not the only one… “ Cynicism and bitterness only paralyze us. Rumi: “Out there, beyond notions of right and wrong, there is a field. I’ll meet you there.” On September 20 and on into the future. We will make the future.