Home | About | Donate

We Should Oppose Gina Haspel's CIA Nomination Because of her Torture Record

We Should Oppose Gina Haspel's CIA Nomination Because of her Torture Record

Dr. Katherine McKenzie

On May 9, Gina Haspel’s confirmation hearings for director of the CIA will begin. The outcome of her nomination will send a clear signal to the world about where the United States stands on torture. We need to land firmly on the side of human rights and human dignity.

“…standards of lawful conduct…” and the rule of Law. Both have been shown to have sprouted wings and have flown the coop. I haven’t seen where accountability comes into play lately, have any of you?

I can not help but note the dichotomy of persons concerned about the “Character” of Gina Haspel when the entire CIA is filled with such “Characters”. It akin to debating who should head the Mafia so as to give it legitimacy. I mean really , in the history of the CIA which of its Directors have ever been people having “high moral standards”?

When has the CIA , in its history operated under the principles of “lawful conduct”? The focus should not be on the legitimacy of one Gina Haspel but on the CIA and its legitimacy itself but then THAT tends to get people killed.