Home | About | Donate

We 'Slayed the Dragon': Community Wins as Nestle Drops Water Extraction Plans

We 'Slayed the Dragon': Community Wins as Nestle Drops Water Extraction Plans

Andrea Germanos, staff writer

After facing community resistance, bottled beverage giant Nestlé Waters North America this week ditched its plans to extract water from a Monroe County, Penn. spring.

The plan would have seen Nestlé take 200,000 gallons of water per day from the source in Kunkletown, located in Eldred Township, and truck it away daily to a nearby plant where it would have been bottled under its Deer Park brand.

Hooray for the people of Eldred Township (PA) and Hood River County (OR) for making their collective voices heard! I hope the folks in Riverside County (CA) win their battle to save their water resources, too. Water is the new oil and climate change (and its causes like tar sands extraction in Canada) serve to accelerate that reality. Read more here: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/steven-solomon/water-is-the-new-oil_b_380803.html
Next thing we know, Exxon-Mobil, BP, Shell, Chevron, Transcanada, etc. will be the water magnates of the world and Nestle along with Coca Cola have a big jump on them in that realm.

Don't you love setting legal precedent

Props to the people, but we did not "slay the Dragon" we clipped one toenail of the Dragon.

Nestlé must be stopped, not in one or two communities that "win" while the monster still bestrides the planet, but stopped everywhere.

If we do not reach widespread awareness that the entire paradigm of corporate privatization and extraction of "natural resources" is toxic, and must be ended, in favor of holistic ecological and social economics, then these individual community victories will very soon be swamped by ecological and civilizational collapse.

How can we leverage successful community resistance like these local defeats of Nestlé, into a successful transition of the entire field of human economic enterprise, from narrow financial bottom-line measures of private "profit," to holistic ecological measures of shared wealth?

Nestle boycott anyone?

Right on.

The word here is -Commons-this should be a major discussion of understanding-what do we value?

The "Commons"....
We have yet to fully appreciate that there is still a, "Commons" and it is global.
There are certain spheres of human life that must not be compromised (privatized)...and they are all part of the global commons.
Water is one of the most important; the environment is another; "imitation" manufactured food is another....there are more......
Without both at a human existence level humanity will surely perish.
Globally, the common people have to take back that which makes up the global commons from the global profiteers that promise convenience over sustainability.
The major battle is with the politicians who succor off the profits made.

I live in Kunkletown PA where this occurred. It is not just a matter of fighting Nestle. It is fighting water bottling companies globally. I very very rarely buy bottled water. Maybe if I'm somewhere, and so thirsty, that I will break down and buy a bottle, but I try not to. The fact that this has turned into a trillion dollar industry is so horrific. I don't understand why people don't realize that water is the one free natural resource we have left! I remember when bottled water first came out, and I was in shock that people were buying water. I remember being in a store and just laughed. It's not a laughing matter anymore!! It is so sickening!! They took a free natural resource, and turned it into a commodity!! It is very very sad!