Home | About | Donate

We Stand in Solidarity with Rojava, an Example to the World

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2019/11/03/we-stand-solidarity-rojava-example-world

2 Likes

Everywhere people are rising up and everywhere we need to stand in solidarity with the world’s indigenes, our common home planet and all her ecosystems and for human freedom from the death wishes of capitalists.

5 Likes

I think a better title would be We Stood in Solidarity with Rojava… as Rojava and Afrin have been pretty much carved out by Turkey/ United States (Mr oil bigly), and Syria/ Russia. The Rojavan Agrarian-Anarcho experiment is but a long shadow of its once illustrious utopian dream.

Consider the above a turkish troll… hopefully paid lots of American dollaroos by Turkey’s barbaric dictator for this post lol

You’re nearly a good laugh
Almost a joker
With your head down in the pig bin
Saying ‘Keep on digging’
Pig stain on your fat chin
What do you hope to find
Down in the pig mine?
You’re nearly a laugh
You’re nearly a laugh
But you’re really a cry

While I wholeheartedly agree with international solidarity efforts among oppressed groups, I reject this notion that Syrian Kurds should have their own homeland. They are Syrians, and even though they have some degree of autonomy, they Syrians first and it’s into the arms of the Syrian Arab Army that the Kurds ran to for protection against the Turkish invaders.

Western meddling created the countries in the Middle East, and damned Westerners are STILL trying to carve up the Middle East for their own benefit, NOT for the benefit of the Syrian Kurds. Syria’s Kurds were fools for trusting in and working with the Americans, and I’m not sure they’ve seen the light as of yet. They should be working with the SAA to secure northeastern Syria and stop being cannon fodder for American invaders and regime change-minded Israelis who are the primary proponents of establishing a Kurdish state (which Israel hopes to befriend and use against its foes in the Middle East).

Bad take, Commondreams.

There seems to be a terrible amount of hysterical resistance to recognizing or supporting, or wanting anyone else to support, the Rojava experiment and hysterical insistence, on the other hand, on linking YPG with PKK from which they officially separated in about 2003. PKK’s plans for Kurds are not Rojavan/YPG/J plans. Neither are Kurdish plans for a homeland what Rojava plans for their region; They are Syrians. True, when the PKK came in to help the YPG/J during the Turkish invasion of Afrin, the practical expediencies of the moment overrode differing political philosophies. Rojava isn’t Camelot (well, neither was Camelot), but it is something different from the totalitarian strongmen in the region and worth respecting and encouraging.
Rojava is indeed polyethnic now, with large numbers of Arabs, Kurds and Assyrian as well as smaller groups of Circassians, Armenians and Turkmen. In recognition of this fact, in December 2016 the 151 member Syrian Democratic Council voted to adopt a more inclusive name. “The Democratic Federation of Northern Syria” officially replaced “Rojava.” By some counts Arabs outnumber Kurds in the YPG. Iterations of Christianity and Islam (barring Daesch “Islam”) are also, both in theory and practice, welcome. I expect that the hundreds of volunteers that came from around the world to help defend Rojava from Daesch were assumed by the government and people of Rojava to be majority Christian.
Syrian Bedouins, some of whom supported Rojavans in resisting Daesh incursions from the desert, also practice a modicum of self governance within the Syrian state which would be of interest to the Rojavans, as is Rojavan interest in Native Americans’ efforts to maintain some agency in Canada and the US, or Rojavan leaders’ studies of the work and works of the Zapatistas in Mexico.
As for the willingness in Rojava to support multiple faiths and iterations of those faiths, this might not be such a new idea in Syria. As long as they could support or go along, however unwillingly, with the Assads’ totalitarian dictatorship, followers of several iterations of Christianity and Islam were protected and their religions practiced quite publically, at least during the brief time I spent there just before the Arab Spring started. Yazidis however were persecuted under the Assads for they were defined as (non Muslim) Kurds–two strikes against them. Most Yazidis in Syria reside in the Rojava area and I expect that the population has grown due to ISIS-led genocide of the members of this group in Iraq and the transport of the seized women to Raqqa. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jul/25/slaves-of-isis-the-long-walk-of-the-yazidi-women Not surprisingly due to the committment to keeping ISIS out of Rojava, older male Yazidis seem to be disproportionately represented, having lost all of their family members.
And by the way, no need to fear the rag-tag YPG/J. Cannot you see from photos that with some exceptions only the foreign volunteers, some of them, have body armor and helmets; many YPG go to the front unprotected and in flip flops. Erdogan will destroy their efforts to protect their families, towns and villages. He cannot see up close the horror he will cause/is causing.