Home | About | Donate

We, The Heart of Our Democracy

We, The Heart of Our Democracy

If you just couldn't watch Hillary - and we get it - you might have missed the stirring call by Rev. William Barber, head of North Carolina's NAACP and leader of its Moral Mondays, to embrace "a moral revolution of values" and continue fighting for progressives causes. Citing Jesus, "a brown-skinned Palestinian Jew" - and only briefly referencing Clinton - Barber proclaimed, "We must shock this nation with the power of love. We must shock this nation with the power of mercy."

Jill Stein is the only one that we can trust in this election not to disembowel this country and it's people or lead us into perpetual war. The Green Party, though we may disagree with some of their over zealousness are, for the most part, good and caring people.
We need time to clean up the politics and parties that do not represent us but only their donors. They need our votes to maintain the status quo and we need to stand together and say No! No more corporate welfare, no more bought elections and representation! Our elected officials, from the smallest town, through the state legislators, to the Congress of the United States and most especially the Presidency are elected to represent this country and its citizens. ALL its citizens, not just their donors.
Do they not take an oath to protect and defend against any and all who would do us harm? Are they fulfilling that oath? Neither Party gives a rats butt about us until election time. We hear the BS and they convince us to vote for them, then return to business as usual.
Electing Jill Stein will give us the time we need to reorganize our government at all levels, clean house, to a government that represents us all equally no matter our economic state. It would bring in a diverse opinion and eventually break up the Two Party system that leads, all to often, One in control that tends to stifle any and all progress in the government.
Most importantly though is the fact that by standing together we can defeat both Trump and Clinton and not have to worry about ongoing conflicts, wars, Trade Deals that will lead to corporate governance and all other insecurities that lie in the hands of the Two most untrusted, disliked and vehement candidates ever presented to hold the office of President of the United States of America.
We have to use our One Vote to save ourselves.

It is fitting for Rev.. Barber to speak these words, "We must shock this nation with the power of love. We must shock this nation with the power of mercy. We must shock this nation and fight for justice for all. We can’t give up on the heart of our democracy. Not now, not ever.”
It would also be fitting to point out that Jesus admonished it is not possible to serve two masters, we have a choice of honoring peace, mercy, and love, or, we can choose to serve Mammon---money.
Seems Rev Barber is appealing to the wrong convention. There is only one candidate running for president who remains committed to these values, Dr Jill Stein.

It is too bad that Common Dreams has such difficulty publishing material about the Greens, their candidates, their positions. To what values are those at Common Dreams dedicated? Are those values about maintaining the difficult struggle for justice, compassion, mercy, and peace, or, are they about constructing rationale to justify compromise and surrender to Mammon?
Half of the American voters now stay home during presidential elections. They do so believing there are no options TO VOTE FOR. Lessor evilism merely validates that belief, almost guaranteeing more voter disengagement.
Apathy, disenfranchisement, disengagement all work to continue the duopoly's grip on power. If there's any chance of breaking that grip, it is through solidarity and support for those candidates demonstrating true loyalty to the concepts of JUSTICE, COMPASSION, and PEACE.

Yakkety, yakkety, blah blah, blah....
as Bro Barber proves that "a bronze man, still can, yell stories his own way".*
Whether "all is is not lost"* will become evident in the months that follow the disaster that will happen on November 8, 2016.
"Campaigns End on Election Day. Revolutions Don't..."
(title of Jim Hightower's latest article at CD)

*Thanks to Chicago for the inspiration of the lyric snippets from Saturday in the Park.

Silence gives consent---that is the age old maxim of the law.
Whereas it is possible to mitigate the unnecessary loss of millions of lives, you elect to remain silent. Ponder that.

What a ridiculously biased, nonsensical perversion of what the man was saying. You exemplify exactly the attitude he was trying to dispel… What is wrong with you…? Poisoned and poisoning, as your name implies, certainly fits.

It is unfortunately fantastic (as in, based in a fantasy) thinking to believe that in the impossible event that Jill Stein is elected she would have the ability to bend Congress to the Green's agenda and actually accomplish any of what you hold dear. Instead of saving progressivism and the country by getting behind the Green's impossible quest of winning a national office, you will very likely damn progressivism to obscurity for a generation, starting with Roe v Wade which the religious extremists of this country have been actively seeking to overturn since first decided. History will remember those who make those sorts of changes possible very unkindly.

Spot on. I didn't watch the convention because I couldn't stomach the love-fest of a semi-demonic candidate. And that goes for the last convention too. However, thank you Abby, for posting this video. Rev. Barber speaks truth to power even if he did endorse that Clinton.

I have my own take on this election. I'm taking the long view. Like many others I supported Bernie Sanders, in fact I still do. I am grateful that he had the guts, the backbone, and the stamina to be the advocate for positive values which I have been awaiting for decades. Bernie Sanders has opened the door and has let some fresh air into our stuffy house.

I am going to follow my own values from now on. Since I cannot in conscience vote for either Clinton or Trump, and will not stay home, I will vote for Jill Stein. I have no hope that she can be elected, but I have read the Green Party Platform and I can accept that. I figure that if enough former Bernie supporters will do the same, the Greens will get enough votes to get their candidates on the national ticket and begin getting representatives on school boards, town and county boards and so on. It is past time to build something we can believe in, and I have NO belief in either major party.

Except for the Hillary endorsement, it was an otherwise powerful sermon, very well delivered. Shades of MLK, right up to and including his voice.

I'm not a bible-thumper, but Rev. Barber speaks of the moral imperatives that I believe in. Powerful speech that went well beyond the setting of a political convention. The part about Clinton was kind of an afterthought, maybe added at request of the campaign. I'll go with the statements of the rest of the speech which contradict pieces of the Clinton message.

I always wondered where David Byrne's "Big Suit" went.

Come on, stick to ideas. Your ad hominem remarks also pervert and betray Dr. Barber's call.

With you right up to this point. I don't know for whom, or if, I will vote on the presidential line. but I need not stay home because of that one line. I will go out to vote, if not on the top line, on the lines below. We need to continue building progressive government from the ground level up and not rely on any party to speak for us. We are the heart of democracy. We always were.

Perhaps you should ask yourself how does history remember those who vote for presidents who bomb, destroy and steal from the rest of the world? How does history remember those who lay sanctions on countries that lead to 500,000 children dying? How does history remember those who support a never ending BS government led by democrats and republicans who only look out for themselves and their masters? How does history remember those who support governments who have imprisoned for life heros like Chelsea Manning? How does history remember those who support people who bring about NAFTA, TPP? How does history remember those who vote for people who refuse the people universal healthcare? How does history remember those vote for people who bail out Wall Street but look the other way for main street?

And how will history remember YOU who have voted for people who do this?

Can we do no better than sniping at each other and throwing out fully grown children with the bathwater we knew we didn't want to watch? Obviously, there was a ticket price to be given that pulpit on the night of the coronation. But listen to what else Dr. Barber said, and continues to say. This morning I received an e-mail from him, through Groundswell, with an invitation to sign onto a petition to all candidates at all levels, to commit to the moral agenda of which Dr. Barber spoke. Isn't that the better direction to turn?

Surely a moral revolution cannot include the likes of Trump and HRC.

What do you mean? For myself, they have a decent platform but not strong enough and their position on Israel is not that great.

What the hell are 'progressive causes'? Name them. Be specific, don't act like a politician and give generalities either.

Well, progressive values can be summarized in one word: rights, and legal recognition and protection of them. Pretty much all of it falls under that banner.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.