Home | About | Donate

'We Want Justice': Prime Minister Forced to Flee as Londoners Protest Deadly Fire

'We Want Justice': Prime Minister Forced to Flee as Londoners Protest Deadly Fire

Jake Johnson, staff writer

In the wake of the deadly fire that devastated residents of London's Grenfell Tower—a fire believed to have been caused in part by government neglect and design flaws stemming from an effort to make the building look nicer to appease the wealthy—hundreds took to the streets on Friday to demand swift action from the Bri

EVERYTHING for the wealthy. Including human sacrifice. No, you cannot have the 1980's again. Look at us England--right now.

Our thoughts are with you, London brothers and sisters. Ours is a common struggle for justice. Love from Vermont, USA

This is just a thought.... As I see on the news the people who are both interviewed and the devastated people shown, they appear to me predominately Muslim. When other horrific acts occur, the news is quick to blame extremists. But here is an apartment building that to my eyes, seems to be have been destroyed by more than just a fire? I am sure shoddy builds on the cheap by the developers, as it appears to be a building housing low income people might be the cause, but I cannot see a fire doing so much that the building is just a shell, and looks to me, like what buildings looked like during the Blitz. So what I am saying, why has no one put forth that this might have been a hate crime perpetrated by a the segment of the population that is anti-Muslim????? Anti Immigration zealots.

Oregon sending prayers, as well.

Can you imagine the uproar when (if) DJT makes his entrance in the UK?

Justice comes in the form of loving-kindness, compassion, and empathy for fellow human beings (and all life) and are especially crucial to adopt when making decisions about expenditures/budgets. Bombs do not feed babies and we all know what they do to babies...yet there always seems to be a bottomless pit full of money when it comes to defense spending by the UK and US alike.

Let's hope that they don't prevent this fire, either.

The "cladding" that was attached in the "refurbishing" of this building (outside) was substandard and the "insulation" behind the cladding was highly/explosively flammable thus the fire spread very rapidly, which is why there was so much devastation and rapid spread. In addition, austerity has cut the firefighter numbers by a third or more and those that fought the fire did so for 12 or more hours. The fire chief(s) could not attribute the cause of the fire to a bomb and thought it may have started as an electrical malfunction somewhere in an apartment in the bottom four floors. When the building was initially constructed in the 1960's, fire codes were not nearly as extensive as they are today and fire prevention materials were not in wide use at the time of construction. And as for the income of the residents, the complex was being gentrified to attract high earners so the residency was mixed. In addition, the building owner/manager' policy was to tell tenants to remain in their apartments when something like a fire or other situation transpired, which probably caused the deaths of any number of the residents who are still missing.

There is no evidence that the fire was arson (as yet), and the ethnic mix of the Grenfell residents has not been established as predominantly White, Black, Middle Eastern or Asian. However, there is plenty of evidence that reveals a corporate neglect of health and safety in social housing such as Grenfell, allied to a government that has contributed to the erosion of society by slowly but steadily removing public funds from essential services over the last seven years.

No. No. NO! Everything is NOT a conspiracy. Please stop this utterly dysfunctional and destructive thinking that only leads to learned helplessness! Just stop it! This disaster can be fully and scientifically explained by the normal workings of capitalism. No spooky forces are needed! Realize that and ORGANIZE!

Neo-liberal gentrification austerity economics

When one sits back and looks at the big picture, it is shocking how far we have let out political leaders push us down the neoliberalism road. Society be damned and all for a bit of extra pocket change. Well, as the establishment is finding out on both sides the the atlantic, there is a clarion anger building and they aren't going to take it anymore. They better get out of the way because the rabble are coming and they want their country back.

All right, an "over-the-top" exaggerated comment. It seems, at least to me, that the post French Revolutionary ideal of democracy is currently rapidly giving away to the rigid class system of a neo-Feudal order. Comments to the contrary are welcome.

One of my sons works in the Canadian fire protection industry. He assures me that retrofitting sprinklers into a 1974-built building is not only possible, but not even hugely expensive. His company is doing similar retrofits right now.
What I find hard to understand is that the British surveillance state apparently has no idea who was in the building at the time or where they are now.

You can't find a better example of learned helplessness. People were told what to do and in this case it was deadly advice. There is no meaningful communication with corporate housing who is primarily interested in profits. I can think of several fire safety protocols that could have made a difference here. The power to make decisions when taken away from residents make the decision makers responsible for outcomes. Unfortunately, many people live with this rubric. Lucky for the ones that thought for themselves and got out.

Austerity kills. Conservatives world wide love it.

"Learned helplessness"? Why bury things in jargon and make it so complicated? They were lied to and they suffered and died because they trusted the authorities in charge and believed the lies.

It is a pretty extreme example. I guess you can interpret it however you see it. I'm sure there will be a lot of changes made because of this tragic event.

As one who was directly involved in the high rise retrofit with automatic fire sprinkler systems in Los Angeles after the deadly First Interstate Bank fire, I can attest to the effectiveness of these retrofits as there have been NO deadly fires since.
The cost of these systems pay for themselves in less than 7 years by savings in insurance rates alone.
Automatic fire sprinkler systems save lives, including firefighter lives.
Capitalism, not so much.