Home | About | Donate

'We Will Not Be Complicit': Protesting Assault on Yemen, Italian Dock Workers Refuse to Load Saudi Weapons Vessel

'We Will Not Be Complicit': Protesting Assault on Yemen, Italian Dock Workers Refuse to Load Saudi Weapons Vessel

Jake Johnson, staff writer

In an act of defiance against Saudi Arabia's brutal assault on Yemen—which is being carried out with the support of the United States and European nations—Italian union workers on Monday refused to load a Saudi vessel reportedly filled with

1 Like

This is the kind of action that will likely need to happen more and more if governments remain complicit with the mass murder perpetrated by the Saudi Arabian government, led by their assassin prince and enabler Trump and US war corporations.

10 Likes

I hate to quote Nancy Reagan but “Just say NO!”, like these brave people are doing, is one of the answers to beating the shitty system, war-mongering machine, and the scum who own and run them, so…
JUST SAY NO!!!

5 Likes

Exactly! It doesn’t really take much effort to “fight back” by digging in one’s feet and refusing to be complicit with the aid and abetting of war crimes and other defeating actions by the governments and the “haves”. I would love to see more cops and military have the balls to do it!

4 Likes

Great news and perhaps the result of the massive ability for global news to get down the food chain to people who still have a heart.

2 Likes

“We will not be complicit in what is happening in Yemen,” union leaders said in a statement."

Imagine union leaders in the US doing stuff like this instead of being useless but highly paid cogs in the Democratic Party machine. Imagine that many of them didn’t oppose single payer or the Green New Deal because they understood their wider moral responsibility and the need to lead working people in a positive direction. But, the unions long ago got rid of most of their radicals, and we are left with machine politicians that just play defense. Often weak defense.

10 Likes

I bet the elites especially in the US are fuming at the Italian dock workers audacity to protest en mass as they were fuming at the youth protesters back in the 1960s. They vowed then to fundamentally change the US social system and public education to reign in the youth. I am sure they’ll do everything to their power to do the same.e unto the Italian free thinkers. Viva Italia!

3 Likes

Good for them! But the problem in America is most of our armaments are loaded on ships that are loaded on Naval and military bases. THE ONLY WAY TO STOP THESE WAR CRIMES IS FOR THE AMERICAN, PEOPLE TO REFUSE TO BE COMPLICIT IN WHAT THEIR GOVERNMENT IS DOING IN THEIR NAMES!

3 Likes

Perhaps it is time to cultivate our anger and frustration and channel it into visible hands-on action that will send a distinct message to Pennsylvania Avenue…

The US Union is not what it once was.

During the Vietnam War some unions did stop loading ships bound for Vietnam.

Shortly after WW2 the US Government ordered troops in China and Vietnam to go on joint patrols with Japanese soldiers that were supposed to have been disarmed to hunt down and kill “Communists”. This pissed the US troops off as they had just been fighting the Japanese and those Communists had helped US fliers that crashed in those Countries through the war. Unions on the West Coast of the US stopped loading ships.

7 Likes

Their government is run by a bunch of arms merchant psychopathic war criminals who’s only aim in life is profits. They justify mass killing by over population.

1 Like

And Do No!

It’s not the heart alone it’s their social setting and education system that is unafraid to teach free thinking. Not so anymore in the USA

1 Like

Excellent point; but how?

Sorry? Missing the point.

It starts with organizing (sometimes the old fashioned way by snail mail to avoid data made public on the net). If it is possible in other countries resistance should be possible in the US. I know there is resistance but often not reported on…

2 Likes

This is great news. For perspective, see the article under “Views” entitled “Emerging Transnational Unionism Contains the Seeds of a New Global Movement” by Ronaldo Munck. It’s a long read but well worth your time.

“Solidarity forever
The union makes us strong.”

I eagerly await the response from US unions—from rank and file as well as leadership.

1 Like

I fear that if some day boycotting corporate America were to actually start working, our fascist government would force us to be consumers with penalties looming if we don’t.
I know, over the top and quite cynical, but that’s where I’m at these dog days of the Trumpenstein’s monster movie.

2 Likes

Hell, gandolf, what you suggest is always possible under the fascist flag of greed, power, and control; especially when there are so many sheeple for them to work with.

2 Likes

It is so good to read this story - “we will not be complicit” - love it … and real people too.

4 Likes