Home | About | Donate

Wealthy, Corporations Still Win Big Under Revised Senate GOP Health Bill

Wealthy, Corporations Still Win Big Under Revised Senate GOP Health Bill

Brandon DeBot

enate Republicans have removed two of their health bill’s many regressive tax cuts — those repealing the so-called Medicare taxes (the additional 0.9 percent Hospital Insurance payroll tax on high-income people and the 3.8 percent tax on unearned income) — to address concerns that the bill favors the wealthy.

Gee, What a BIG Surprise!!   Just what has been "Revised" here, anyway??   It's still a huge giveaway to the Health Care and Health Insurance industries and to their Fat Cat owners.

People want health care and education to be social goods, not market commodities

What becomes clear here is that ours is a system that is programmed to subordinate life to the imperative of profit

The repeal of Romney's... I mean Obama's plan, was always about the 3.8 percent surtax on the ultra rich. There's nothing which bugs a Koch-type a-hole more than the idea they might be subsidizing a 'taker' with their hard-earned money. So the R's revised bill cuts the total tax break from approximately 860 billion to ~ 400 billion. It's all bait and switch. The rich get it right back in the fine print tax breaks in other areas (outlined in the article) - areas which only the wealthy can exploit to any significant degree.

In a related way, conservatives always complain about the byzantine nature of the tax code. But it's crocodile tears on an oceanic level. The reason the laws are so inscrutable and unending is to benefit the very people who rail against it. How many reading this post have ever used the myriad of forms - usually a combo of numbers and letters - which tax lawyers spend their careers deciphering and then clamor for more?

The counter-argument to my point is a flat tax. I say, fine, three levels. 10, 20 and 30 percent. No deductions, no exceptions (like the laughable capital gains category). The other retort is a sales tax. More sensible than our current system, but it still doesn't reach the staggering mountains of cash horded by that sick-rich fraction of the one percenters.

I'll suggest some carbon tax fix. Think about it. PHEVs?
Military budget increases,
social safety net cuts,
more desperate enlistees,
sent to die in some new war.
Donald Pig in a Wig's new war.
Armament Brothers Anonymous
seem to plead freedom, at the point,
of a bayoneted long rifle & tomahawk.