Home | About | Donate

Weaving the Threads of Resistance

Weaving the Threads of Resistance

Randall Amster

Good morning America, and welcome to those proverbial "interesting times." We have a so-called President seemingly coming unhinged in public, a dystopian aura infusing politics at every level, a resurgence of hatred made safe by irresponsible rhetoric, and a cultural fascination with misdirection and blatant untruths.

Add attention to the FIBERS available for the threads spun here - specifically RELEGALIZE THE CULTIVATION OF HEMP. One of the most beneficial crops is banned from cultivation. A $600 million dollar market - primarily IMPORTED, is a reflection of the idiocy of the legislation related to it.

Organic Consumers Association:
TAKE ACTION: Sign the White House petition to let American farmers grow hemp

Is it safe to say that the first "primary strand" is mostly liberals and the second "primary strand" is mostly progressives? If not, what are the differences between liberals and progressives?

I've often wondered what the difference is between those who identify as "progressives" and those who identify as "liberals". I think this article might provide insight through it's two "threads" notion.

Bravo, Randall. This is one of the best essays that I have read in a while. It behooves all of us to think "post-Trump". He is the symptom, not the disease!

You would need to look back at how we got to this point, to figure out which way to go from here. Even those who aren't on the right wing are more deeply divided by class and race than we were eight years ago. There is significant resistance to addressing those divisions.

As the overall life expectancy of the US poor fell below that of every developed nation, liberals call on us to stand up for the more fortunate alone, the working/middle class. Well, that's a lot easier, I suppose, than addressing the broad agenda that has been slowly transitioning the US into just another third world labor state that discards those who aren't of current use.

Liberals have largely hijacked the term. Progressive politics isn't new (my own great-grandparents were solid progressives in the early 1900s). It's about building a just nation/society, from the bottom up, centered on the concept of "the common good." Progressivism fell out of favor with the Reagan years.

Today's liberals stand with the working/middle class. This is because they are still true believers in our deregulated capitalism. They believe our system is so successful that everyone is able to work, there are jobs for all, therefore no need for poverty relief.