Home | About | Donate

Welcome 2021! Go Away, 2020!

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2021/01/01/welcome-2021-go-away-2020

2 Likes

Diane, thank you for all of your assiduous work. We must go back to the roots of the cancer and certainly here is one. Fight we must!

“In our dream we have limitless resources, and the people yield themselves with perfect docility to our molding hand. The present educational conventions fade from our minds; and, unhampered by tradition, we work our own good will upon a grateful and responsive rural folk. We shall not try to make these people or any of their children into philosophers or men of learning or of science. We are not to raise up among them authors, orators, poets, or men of letters. We shall not search for embryo great artists, painters, musicians. Nor will we cherish even the humbler ambition to raise up from among them lawyers, doctors, preachers, statesmen, of whom we now have ample supply."

–Rev. Frederick T. Gates, Business Advisor to John D. Rockefeller Sr., 1913

2 Likes

I wish I could concur that the Mar-a-Lago Monster is the problem. Unfortunately 126 GOP House members signing the amicus in December to eliminate credible elections reconfirms for the hundred something time that the GOP has been an organized crime syndicate at least going back a quarter century to Newt’s contract on America. As soon as the timing is right they will plunge the US into a total fascist dictatorship. The GOP has decades of experience doing this abroad…Iran in 1953, Chile in 1973 are but two of many examples.

2 Likes

Diane, I wish it were as simple as you portrayed it to be.
Really- the world has changed, the planet has changed…we are dealing with a new planetary system: Environmental, Economic…it really is not just the pandemic, but a new world reality that we are now facing. And though I am no Trumper, it really is our system here that has caused much damage. Trump deserves much blame for his action, but things really will not change much with Joe Bidden…True, we will not have the bluster and bluffs, but the spend and the system are still in place…how can you say 2020 go away… can you really do that?.. sorry but we carry that forward.

2 Likes

Sometimes to create change in a short period of time which is necessary change , things that we get to call bad are catalysts to a greater understanding of who we are and what we are doing here on this planet.

One for all and all for One .

3 Likes

Thanks–I’ve never seen that one. I was pretty sure the rot (or “wetiko”) went back a long way. Thom Hartmann, in The Last
Hours of Ancient Sunlight
, traces it back to the Agricultural Revolution some 5-10 millennia ago.

3 Likes

Agree !

Personally I am glad 2020 happened - in many ways the first dose of reality worldwide.

A time of fear - and when the fear subsides - of contemplation - for some at least -

If I read that quote which @WiseOwl supplied - Carl Sagan’s ‘dumbing down’ was initiated long before Carl began talking about it.

Seeming success - why worry type thing ~

For me the intellectual worry began in 1972, with the publication of “The Limits to Growth”.

But society was unsatisfying to me long before that - something was wrong - instinctively - intuitively.

Big successful corporations are good at one thing - making money for the investors who understand the game. But they do this by leveraging the seed provided by government - and passing on the real costs to the non-investor class. By definition and in practice a publicly traded corporation is inhumane.

Now, with the almost complete capture of governments worldwide - governments have lost their credibility - precisely because they are inhumane now - no longer functioning as governments of, by and for the people - but as part of inhumane corporate culture.

Pathological in other words - and - as Livy of Rome put it - “in love with death”.

1 Like

Manysummits- Limits to Growth- same here, that was my awakening. Too bad humanity did not pay attention and raise the alarms at that time. Our children and grandchildren (?) will pay the price for this as we are destroying their future by leaving them hell on earth.

2.) The Upside of our Predicament… is that this hell on earth will force change in the way that humanity will live on this earth. This planet does not have the carrying capacity to withstand any longer the consumption patterns and the population of humanity. This is not my belief, (yes it is), but this is a law of nature. Our Way of Living is the problem multiplied by the population. The Earth will not end, but our way of life will and we will take down many species of the Natural World, plants and animals.

1. The core problem which started at the dawn of the industrial age is the way that humanity lives on this planet and does business…It is the business of business to make money…this money is extracted from the labor of humans & animals, and from the planet’s natural resources amongst other factors…Everyone is responsible. If you make money from your investments, you are responsible. It is not just Corporations, although they are the tip of the spear, but everyone who living today…It is the system that must change and is being forced to change…

2. Manysummits,… a book that may resonate with you… “Great Waves of Change”- Marshall Summers…

1 Like

I am not religious Paul - not even a little.

On the other hand - the secular world is lacking in many respects - depending too much on rational thinking, when even Einstein himself believed that the intuitive mind was far more important.

But then I am not a great fan of Einstein.

For me -necessity works - almost always.

And it is becoming more and more necessary to find a new way that works.

We humans muddle - that’s pretty much it. There is a rapidly growing awareness on multiple levels of consciousness that this just isn’t working - but the solutions are not at all clear.

I spent a significant portion of my life outside climbing mountains and exploring deserts - that’s what worked for me - that and burning bridges - becoming a person who lives day to day - very little of this saving for the future.

I have a following of one - three if you add my small family.

But the natural world has a following of eight billion - they just are in various stages of understanding.

The States is in big trouble right now, a culmination of lots and lots of muddling.

We should remember that we just walked Out of Africa recently - we are still just following our DNA.

Once the survival instinct kicks in, as it will - we will be looking for new ways of living.

We will need, in addition to our smarts - to be lucky.

Every mountaineer still breathing knows the contribution that luck and serendipity has played in their survival - a priceless lesson learned the hard way - like in a war.

Manysummits: very good detective work, impressive… If you can guess my age, that will really blow me away… I would say I am not religious either, but learning to become very spiritual. Learning to listen to listen to nature, the Earth, to the world and where it is going, and to listen to my spiritual teachers as well… spirituality, goes much deeper than intuition, but if one learns to listen to it, one can gain great guidance…each of us has this capability, called Knowledge, or Knowing Intelligence…much more powerful than one’s Thinking Intelligence…in fact one’s Thinking Intelligence, one’s Mind, serves this Knowing Intelligence, one’s Knowledge…and this Knowledge is connected to the intelligence of the World,of the Universe of the Creator of all Creation.

Humanity has acted very unintelligently. Humanity will now have to re-learn the Laws of Nature, the hard way. People must remember that we live on a planet that is very responsive to change. And now the planet is responding very rapidly to a change catalyzed by humanity…Humanity is under the impression that it lives on the Moon, a dead, non-responsive body, no, it lives on a very responsive planet… if you stepped on the tail of a very large Lion, it would respond, but if this creature were dead, it would not respond… Humanity must now learn how to adapt to a new world, a new situation…

2 Likes

Well said !

. . . and, just as O’Bummer replaced The Lying Son-of-a-Bush in 2009, Tweetle-Dumb will be replaced by a Presidunce that is at least one percent – maybe even two percent – less onerous, and at least three percent less embarrassing to our ambassadors to other nations.

And, while I agree with you 99.44% of the time, Ray, I really wish you would be more honest and replace “GOP” in your posts with “USA”, or at the very least “the RNC / DNC Duopoly”.  It wasn’t the GOP who had control of BOTH houses of Congress AND the White House in 2009-2010, and yet allowed Eric Prince, Gina Haspel, Steve Mnuchin and SEVERAL other scumbags to walk free without even any formal investigations, much less any prosecutions or trials.  And who gave away MILLIONS of OUR tax dollars to Fat-Cat banksters instead of bailing out all the bilked homeowners???   O’Bummer was just a smooth-talking stooge of the Fat-Cats, and Biden is his protegé.

The election of Joe Biden to replace Donald J. Trump – if it isn’t torn apart in the next few days – will at best only slow the whirled’s inexorable descent into Korporate Feudalism.  It might even help bring it about, since Tweetle-Dumb had turned up the flames under the pot, whereas sleepy/creepy Joe will turn the heat down just a smidgen so that most of the frogs alarmed by events of the past few years will settle down and not notice the now more gradual warming . . .

1 Like