Home | About | Donate

Welcome to 2018: Another "Non-War Year" in Oblivious America

Welcome to 2018: Another "Non-War Year" in Oblivious America

Tom Engelhardt

A "non-war year"? Tell that to the Afghans, the Iraqis, the Syrians, the Yemenis, the Somalis, or for that matter the parents of the four American Green Berets who died in Niger last October.

Tom, as always, thank you for doing the heavy lifting on this deliberately obscured topic. Most of our citizens are disconnected from this reality. Saddening and appalling both.

It’s really too bad that the military draft isn’t still in place.

If it were, perhaps the parties of the Duopoly would be a little less popular at election time.

And Trump wants another $100 Billion for the military for the next two years.

Mindless Zombies, welcome to 2018, another “Non-War Year.”

Support your local, state, and federal Warmongers.

Tom is quite right–the average American is blissfully unaware that this country has been at war for 16 years.

Just yesterday in the waiting room at my podiatrist’s office 6 or 8 of us were talking, and I posed that question–how long have we been at war? Only one other person knew the answer, another old timer like me. The others were all amazed to hear the number. They just had not thought about it.

Maybe the draft should be brought back…

Not sure what an old-timer means, but at 55, I would not be subject to a draft myself, but I would NEVER support any referendum or politician who wanted to bring it back.

We solve this problem by electing pro-peace politicians and protesting existing wars. Modern US warfare doesn’t require that many troops to do incredible damage to other countries and I don’t think anybody high up in the military would even want a draft - they’d probably push back on it. It’s all a waste of time in my opinion to even ponder it.

I can see both sides. The upside to the draft is that the citizen gets first hand experience in the workings of government. He gets to see with his own eyes how wasteful and arrogant and inefficient the government is. In many cases he is forewarned about the government and its excesses, things that cannot be known unless one serves inside the Borg, if you know what I mean.

However in general terms I am against the draft. The downside to the present system is that we have mercenary armies hired by the government, outfits like Black Water and many others.

Your argument that “many troops” are not required to destroy countries today is very close to a slippery slope. With the draft we still had My Lai, but under today’s system we have been slaughtering innocents as they sit at a computer terminal in the US.

Thanks for the input.