Home | About | Donate

"We're Back": Greta Thunberg Kicks Off Third Year of Fridays for Future Protests in Germany After Meeting With Merkel

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/08/21/were-back-greta-thunberg-kicks-third-year-fridays-future-protests-germany-after

4 Likes

We should all feel great about what these kids are doing.
It’s a shame that it’s way too late.
Hopefully we won’t turn into Morlocks in our underground bunkers in the next few hundred years.

5 Likes

But BigB:
Remember the Olympics in China… and how peopIe could not see through the poIIution?
But then—remember when China actually acted— and when the cars were stopped the bIue sky returned! There has to be a way to recreate this for the worId. Since the worId, except for TrumpAmerica is in lockdown-----maybe this is the time to restart the American pubiIcs beIief—that doing nothing = suicide! Maybe AngeIa and Germany can rise above the DonaIds of the world, who beIieve in profit— and not in Life.

5 Likes

Merkel should take advantage of Trump’s abdication of international leadership by becoming the new leader of the Free World, starting off with ushering in a new world of renewable energy, greatly improved energy efficiency & drastically reduced emissions.

6 Likes

Hi yunohu:

YES! YES! YES! AngeIa would be wonderful----- and Trump can just fIoat in the water until the barnacles drag him down----- Pompeo, and Kushner are some of the barnacles, oh and the White House press secretary—she is definitely a barnacle too…

5 Likes

Reminiscent of the 1212 Children’s Crusade.

4 Likes

"As a physicist, [Merkel] does understand the science. As a politician, she well understands the political complexity behind that struggle. The question is now how to fill that gap."

Well, Greta and company are growing up, have already grown up it would seem - out of a great necessity.

So be it. I can only hope Merkel can find a way - but I doubt she can. Merkel and the generation now in charge of the world may just not be able to see a way. It took a global pandemic, quite literally, to return the blue skies, as @stardustIBID has pointed out.

It may take other existential threats, perhaps much worse than Covid19 - right up in our faces - before we react.

4 Likes

Personally, I don’t think we have that much time.

2 Likes

Since when has Merkel become the saviour of the European Union ??? L.O.L. The ignorance of the folks believing such crap, is displayed for anyone who wishes to see it. Merkel is PART of the hidden Government and will do absolutely nothing to upset the apple cart otherwise her days would be numbered. Time the juveniles of Europe wised up to that FACT. Secondly, it would seem these young folks are unawares there is a virus running rampant and thousands of people have succumbed as a direct result. Now these same juveniles wish to gather folks together in mass groups allegedly to protest, but at the same time, allowing the virus to spread further ??? WOW, what a way to save the world, by destroying the folks living on it.

Agreed. I think Brian is being over-optimistic.

1 Like

You got me there. I’ve always been a cup half full guy. But boy, it’s getting really difficult to maintain that level optimism.
I’m sure one of these days I’ll accept that Soylent Green is people. But I’m not going to like it.

4 Likes

I may have finally, in the entire world, stumbled upon a couple of adults in the room. The City of Helsinki, Finland, is at least making all the right noises that they want to pay solar/geothermal inventors in exchange for work done to help them decarbonize their current coal-fired heating system by 2029. Pay for work? And, if you don’t accomplish some work they don’t pay you? What a wonderful (and rare as hen’s teeth on this planet) application of economics! In the old Soviet Union, the joke was, “They pretend to pay us and we pretend to work.” That’s the same recycled joke in the entirety of the United States with zero point zero zero percent exceptions. So please stop asking why your politicians in both dominant parties are failing once again and they are promising to continue to fail in 2021. In my opinion Helsinki most likely isn’t going to fail, if you need a role model.

4 Likes

I remember our simply showing up at her Battery Park rally, where just about 250K locals gathered (including Greta) and another NY 350org parade with 430K attendees. Both times thinking: this is mindless virtue kvetching. Greta with bridge fuel/ all of the above Obama… is understandable: you have to appeal to frigging yuppies, who gavaged us Teflon, Gore Tex, ubiquitous jet travel, GE monoculture Bt maize, CAFOs, mountains of toxic toss-away rare-earth electronics, miracle microfiber & stacked-traits Soya; as their parents gave us concrete coated suburban sprawl, 11-mpg 91-octane cars for each kid, thousands of 250’ Foster-Wheeler coal-fired and fracked methane powerstations, 97 decaying fission reactors, trillion dollar a year forever wars and military equipped Israeli trained police subjugation. So, seeing her with Harris (since no sane DNC hack would put a rightfully beloved, universally respected teenage, female, Swede in breathing distance of Biden) will piss folks off, in Michael Moore’s next movie? “It’s OK, Greta and Joe will rescue us! Hand me another POM, Fiji Water & Wonderful Pistacios.”

~https://degraw.substack.com/p/obscene-pandemic-profiteering-largest

~https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/2020/08/wildfires-burning-through-california/

~https://www.npr.org/2020/08/21/904928113/as-wildfires-continue-to-spread-in-california-its-governor-seeks-outside-help

~https://www.sfchronicle.com/california-wildfires/article/As-fires-race-out-of-control-Big-Basin-redwoods-15506097.php

~https://carlbeijer.substack.com/p/you-cant-trust-the-media-on-evo-morales

1 Like

We find ourselves with more needed protests than there are protesters to attend.
We need a universal protest on the do nothing republican senate and of trump himself of course.
If we split into all separate protests there will be only a handful for each.
But trump has the virus on his side, and I don;t mean the ones in the senate.
Distancing doesn’t favor protesting.

4 Likes

Well, the warming trend got going at least 17,000 years ago. It melted the mile of ice over north America, and raised sea levels by 400 feet. So, there is, since all this was before the industrial revolution and its hydrocarbon pollution production, an ongoing trend, probably not going to be stopped by humans, no matter what. Surly we are, speeding up the warming process with our thoughtless philosophy of using nature rather than working with it.

Now is the time for everyone to commit themselves to striving for clean energy in every way. Alas, you can’t even get the dumb clucks, like President Trump, to wear a face mask

2 Likes

Reminiscent of the 600 kids who stood up to Public Safety Commissioner Bull Connor’s police dog attacks and fire hoses in Birmingham, Alabama. They eventually won.

3 Likes

A bit off the wall, perhaps just enough to make it stick!

1 Like

I think that is precisely his point.

2 Likes

Ultimately we have to do both, but it does seem like the most immediate threat after fascism is climate collapse (the “crisis” having been mostly ignored by those in a position to act).

1 Like

Please be aware that there’s still reason to keep on hoping for a progressive party. There’s a new “political home” available to you and me and the millions of other progressives who are longing for a government truly intent on improving our lives rather than keeping us down, a government that’s not bought off and controlled by big the oligarchs and the big corporations.

Can we have a government that’s not controlled by the neo-liberals and unduly influenced by the military-industrial complex? The answer is yes, if we’re prepared to support and fight for a political party that’s willing, in turn, to fight for something better.

From 4 p.m. until 6 p.m. Eastern time on August 30, a mere 8 days from now, that upstart Movement for a People’s Party will conduct it’s virtual convention. Please, please, please do not let it take place without your presence, for that would be a crying shame. You can attend simply by registering and logging on at the designated time.

Here’s a brief excerpt from the Movement’s website:

“ The People’s Convention will discuss plans to build the largest party in America in the next four years, including building local hubs and state parties, sending representatives to Congress and local office in 2022, and winning the presidency in 2024. We will discuss why we must finish the political revolution in a major new people’s party and how we can do it. ”

Now, I don’t know how it’s going to turn out but this, I do know. It will only work if enough progressives and others hoping for a better future for themselves and those they love finally come together to make it happen. And if sufficient numbers participate, that progressive political party with meaningful impact on the quality of our lives and the lives of our loved ones will become a reality and a force to be reckoned with. Go to their website, register for the convention scheduled for August 30 and show up!

1 Like