Home | About | Donate

We're Living a Constitutional Crisis

We're Living a Constitutional Crisis

Robert Reich

I keep hearing that if Trump fires Mueller, we’ll face a “constitutional crisis.” Or if Mueller subpoenas Trump to testify and Trump defies the subpoena, it’s a “constitutional crisis”. Or if Mueller delivers substantial evidence that Trump is guilty of colluding with Russia or of obstructing justice, and the House does nothing to impeach him, we have a “constitutional crisis.”

Well, I have news for you. We’re already in a “constitutional crisis.”

i keep wondering how far the american people will let this go. we have been in crisis for a long time now. those in power push the envelope to see how much we will take, well it is obvious we will put up with quite a bit. we should be in the streets. difficult to do yes but this is our country we are talking about. our childrens future. imagine losing our rights because of this man who wants to be emperor, king or whatever. i am tired of hearing him, the man who wants to be on our minds 24/7.

Robert:

Your Constitution was (and is) a document designed to create human crises as the status quo. It was a document designed by white supremacist patriarch slave and property owners and merchants for their benefit and remains a document designed by capitalist patriarchal white supremacists for their benefit.

Gotta admit - it works pretty well.

“A malignant megalomaniac facing no countervailing power will continue to expand his terrain until he is stopped” - exactly so Robert! The “opposition” is so entrenched in its own corruption, political machinations, and contempt for the whole truth, we are all now in a world of shite with little prospect of escaping before we are further diminished in fact and spirit…there are some bright spots, but the MSM has abdicated its responsibility to our republic and Constitution and Bill of Rights as envisioned in their intent, if not their actual words!

The potential to vote for a Congress that will constrain him is slim at this point given the failure of the DINO sellout party to mount anything like a cohesive progressive/radical opposition! Their de facto complicity, craven collusion, deafening silence or tepid mealy-mouthed words lacking intensity, outrage, or courage, coupled with betrayal of true progressive challengers to the political status quo work for more of the same…

We are living in an existential crisis! Environmental, societal, obscene for-profit war-machine funding, greed-driven health-care, corporate subversion and all the rest of the dissolution of everything America once claimed it stood-for, now made a mockery by the trump regime, and its malignant nutter trumpenfuhrer…make America care again!

If it were known, exactly how many of us, if given the chance to remove this megalomaniacal idiot from the position he holds would do so with extreme prejudice and without any hesitation, perhaps then, we would all begin to organize in ernest, ways and means to expel him and his enablers.

I still envision a synchronous shoe-tying skit served up by the Secret Service.

It’s of course a no-brainer that to stop Trump the thing to do is elected enough Democrats to take control of the House and Senate. Of course many conspiracy theorists on the left will not agree to this so there will be a need to get a lot of the independent vote to accomplish the task. But the biggest problem is that more and more Americans are actually choosing white nationalism over democracy. Trump represents the attitudes of millions of Americans and the spread of hate and lies which is so easily done on social media is a big factor in Trump;s support. The same thing is happening throughout Europe so it isn’t confined to the US. Vast migrations of people to western democracies and terrorism are pushing these countries to the right. Israel has taken this path and so recently has Hungary and Poland. Italy is rapidly heading that way and it appears France and Germany are also going in that direction. The Brexit vote in the UK was also a lurch to the right. Millions of people are giving up on democracy. That is the real crisis and it rapidly being accelerated through Facebook in particular and also other social medium platforms. And Russia is doing all it can to move this process along. This may be a time of radical transition form liberal democracy to authoritarian government. It is unclear whether the momentum of authoritarianism can be stopped.

Oh Mr. Robert Reich, usually I like what you say, but I am getting so sad at everyone declaring Russian’s invading and stealing of the 2016 election.
What is this "ALL of the intelligence agencies say so-----no they don’t. I haven’t read of any proof-----please tell me where I may find this information that “all " the intelligence agencies know.
YOU see, after that Iraq " Shock and Awe,” show by the ASSholes of Evil, I really need more information then to just take somebody’s word that the TRUTH is there.

Leave the intelligence agencies out of it. Just listen to Trump and company. If that isn’t enough for you, so long.

Synchronous Shoe Tying Skit?

Can you elaborate WiseOwl?

“… stopped dead in his tracks” is a phrase that occurred somewhere in the main article. Although generally used as a figure of speech, perhaps a literal interpretation and follow through would lead to a swifter fall into the chaos our political system, and country, really need(s) to move on and heal, as in “repair damage”.

We swallowed Trump to stop the neoLiberals.
And now you again say that we should swallow the neoLiberals to stop Trump.

Speaking of no-brainer thinking it reminds me of:

There was an old lady who swallowed a fly
I don’t know why she swallowed a fly - perhaps she’ll die!
There was an old lady who swallowed a spider,
That wriggled and wiggled and tiggled inside her;
She swallowed the spider to catch the fly;
I don’t know why she swallowed a fly - Perhaps she’ll die!
There was an old lady who swallowed a bird;
How absurd to swallow a bird.
She swallowed the bird to catch the spider,
There was an old lady who swallowed a cat;
Fancy that to swallow a cat!
She swallowed the cat to catch the bird,
There was an old lady that swallowed a dog;
What a hog, to swallow a dog;
She swallowed the dog to catch the cat,
There was an old lady who swallowed a cow,
I don’t know how she swallowed a cow;
She swallowed the cow to catch the dog,
She swallowed the dog to catch the cat,
There was an old lady who swallowed a horse…
She’s dead, of course!

One little quibble, he didn’t break a treaty. It was an agreement with Iran, otherwise the senate would have had to vote on it. Of course he threatens to break the treaty of NATO.
But consider we have Canada on our border poised to invade us with their beer and dairy. Then we have the whole country of mexico flooding our borders with their tacos. Don’t get me started with the germans and their cars. France with their chocolate. Montenegro and how tough they are to start a war with russia. How dare Montenegro threaten poor helpless russia?
No wonder our economy is the worst among the world and we can’t compete with anyone else. They are all against us, which is wht we need to stand firm with russia and n. korea. Dictators of the world unite.

Actually considering who they were, they gave us a document that can be used for good. It’s only when we stop using it, that evil comes into being.

Shouldn’t have swallowed Trump in the first place.

But they wanted real conservatism, not the neolib kind.

very true, and we should not have swallowed the neoLiberals either.

I agree that we did not want the neoLiberal version of conservatism but I do not see us as wanting the “real” conservatiism all that much. If we had a better choice than the neoLiberal version of conservatism I doubt that we would have swallowed the “real” conservatism in 2016. For several decades now neither of those systems has been good for the working class. What so many of us wanted was not conservatism but rather to actually be seriously represented, to have our views, needs and concerns addressed. And in 2016 it was Bernie Sanders and his neoNewDeal proposals that was generating the excitement.

But, you know, Sanders lost by 4 million real, actual, votes however you or I felt about it. That left one of two main choices, in reality. One would have given us decent court appointments, would not have signed onto the Ryan tax plan, and would not be wrecking Medicaid expansion etc. The other, well, we’re going to see the wreckage of his court appointments and tax plan for years to come. Oh well. The best we can do is change congress in 2018.

If the Secret Service is bending down at the same moment… (line of fire)