Home | About | Donate

"We're Stepping Up—Join Us": Climate Leaders Answer Youth School Strikers' Call for Global Action

"We're Stepping Up—Join Us": Climate Leaders Answer Youth School Strikers' Call for Global Action

Jessica Corbett, staff writer

As more than a million youth poured into the streets worldwide on Friday for the weekly #SchoolStrike4Climate demonstrations, well-known adult climate activists answered a call to action from school strikers with a pledge to join global protests in September.

3 Likes

I like the creative sign — There is no PLANet B

But, unfortunately, There is a PLAN E for the elite’s EMPIRE

2 Likes

Oh yeah? Where they going?

Right Fucking ON! A call for a global one-day general strike! Friday September 20, 2019. Put it on your calendar now! Talk to your friends and family about it.

If i’m not mistaken, i believe the youth strikers are demanding that “our leaders” declare a Climate Emergency. i believe we need to work on stating what it is that we are demanding as we strike. What is a Global Green New Deal? What is a Just Transition? What are your demands? What are our demands?

3 Likes

For myself, one demand is:
End War, de-fund war, stop preparing for war, eliminate nuclear weapons, stop all development and deployment of advanced weapons systems, and re-direct all war moneys into ecological restoration, Green New Deal and Just Transition.

4 Likes

Plant trees. Fall is the perfect time to plant trees. Now is the time to gather and start seedlings.

I. remember the first Earth Day in 1970, my high school planted a tree for each class, today they are huge. Perhaps now, we should plant a tree for each person! It can make a difference.

1 Like

…Along with fu_cking Biden - TO FIND THE MIDDLE GROUND
lololol

The youth climate action organization Plant for the Planet has a goal to plant 1 trillion trees. We need it!

1 Like

Bullshit. You think Chomsky, LaDuke, Mann, Atwood, Shiva and the other signers of this call for a one-day global general strike are seeking “the middle ground”? You’re nuts.

Organize meaningful action for September 20. Or, sit on your middle ground and take pot-shots.

No.
I support this.
I was referring to getting stuck with Biden and him killing things like this by ‘finding middle ground’

Sorry I wasn’t clear (excuse: first cup of coffee)
But nice pounce!

2 Likes

Thanks, sorry!

2 Likes

lol - I think you did the right thing, under the cirumstances

True, and Trump’s persiflage that climate change is a " CHINESE HOAX" is the plan of the 1%.

1 Like

For me, it means, what webwalk said… PLUS… rearranging our economy with LAWS… almost no flying… The rich are not allowed to fly all over kingdom come any more…like 1500 private jets to the Superbowl… and many many other unnecessary and frivolous industries that we do… like, no more Disneyworld… etc… no more manufacturing of a bunch of crap we do not need… but, you know what ??? this won’t change… all they are planning on doing is switching out renewables to reduce fossil fuels… not get rid of them… and even if they did… can anyone hear, imagine the INDUSTRIAL DAMAGE… from making all those renewable equipment pieces.??? Uh, we are in the SIXTH MASS EXTINCTION… due to ripping up habitat… right??? how is this going to help anything… ??? … So, are we addicted to oil? or are we addicted to electricity and a waster filled life…

1 Like

i agree, thanks for writing, but also yes “they” are planning (at best!) to switch energy sources and keep the giant waste machine running, but we have to make our demands and keep pushing them and try to spread our recognition of ecological awareness as widely as we can, to create pressure “from below” to take more necessary steps. Almost no present “leaders” will say for example that we need to END WAR and remove that funding, but i will keep promoting that reality (and other basic truths). Because it’s just true, it’s reality, and what else am i going to do with my time here? i always appreciate your posts.

i live right next to Boeing Field, the number two local international airport after Seatac. All day long, “private jets” take off and land, super rich individuals and executives going wherever the fuck they think it makes sense. Absolutely ridiculous, and they think it makes sense. And i live in the flight path from Seafac, a giant airplane every minute all day long. They seem to have no idea that that has to stop! More than 1200 international airports are in operation. Shut them down!

1 Like

WTF HAPPENED TO THE RESISTANDPROTEST DATA BASE OF ALL DEMONSTRATIONS, MARCHES, AND PROTESTS???

The most important resource for mass demonstrations to get Faux-EMPEROR CAESAR TRUMPIUS I out of the way toward real democracy is for MILLIONS of American People to fire a loud, public, sustained, ‘IN THE STREETS’, but totally non-violent “SHOUT (not shot) HEARD ROUND THE WORLD” to Ignite an essential PEOPLE’S PEACEFUL POLITICAL/ECONOMIC & SOCIAL “REVOLUTION AGAINST EMPIRE” — a continuation and completion of our first American “Revolution Against Empire” [Justin du Rivage’s new, deeply-researched, and definitive history of our FIRST ONE]

‘We the American people’ only need an effin data base of where to RALLY, DEMONSTRATE, MARCH & PROTEST ‘In the streets’ and by the MILLIONS every EFFIN DAY to:

DUMP
EMPEROR
TRUMP

because,

“We can’t be an EMPIRE”

If I don’t ever hear the term “Arctic meltdown” or something similar, with the recognition that the Arctic can reportedly release 1.7 teratons of greenhouse gases, then I want to know, who are these people and what have they done with my leaders?

1 Like

Right, so, to me… real actions is… Marching >…in your own home town. for this type of action… shutting down airports… nuclear power plants (decommissioning them)… etc… stopping manufacturing of stupid sh*t… no more cutting of lumber for furniture… yeah, right… who to hell needs more furniture… we have enough in the world… go find a dead tree. ….and cut a big stump and sit on that. Damn… we are so stupid…when will people realize, we need to start BUYING SECOND HAND… make due with what we already have… oh, wait… some people actual get ill at thinking of using other people’s stuff… I have seen it… talk about an inability to adapt…

1 Like

Your spot on …humans have used more resources in the last 40 years than 40 000 and we are not slowing down.Some call this progress ,it’s progress to our own demise.
Change from a power and possessions economy to a Use and Access economy .
You don’t necessarily have to own your own copy of everything like we are taught to in the West , just have Use of the stuff of life through cooperation .
When you have Access to the things you think you need this is called happiness.
Just share and share alike .

This new model will have to be taught …

1 Like