Home | About | Donate

We're Talking About Human Life Here. Unsafely Reopening Schools Is No Solution at All

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2020/08/03/were-talking-about-human-life-here-unsafely-reopening-schools-no-solution-all

4 Likes

A very common sense article with all the idiotic reasons to start school in-person refuted.

2 Likes

Important, good article.

The one question I have for the author is regarding this statement that I put in bold:

But it makes more sense to keep the buildings closed and provide what we can on-line.
Unless perhaps you live in some secluded county that has had extremely low infection rates for a prolonged period of time.

As much as I dislike Birx (and mistrust her) I actually agreed with her yesterday when she said no rural location is safe----it will happen there too.

This is why I believe unless we have a national, coordinated effort to stop the spread it seems dangerous to open schools even on “a case by case basis”.

As Birx (stomach lurches again) stated: “people move about”.

I can’t imagine how a case by case school opening is going to work safely given the current political chaos and the fact that people do not stay home, they travel and move from county to county, state to state.

It seems that it has come down to each state. . . or actually each county or city/town will have to fend for themselves.

With the result of that being continued massive spread and thousands of deaths.

I’ve brought up trump’s “task force” numerous times here and I’m going to bring it up again for those who continue to think that Fauci has been helpful with stopping the dangerous trajectory this country has taken regarding covid.

I will preface this as I always do: I am NOT a conspiracy theorist, not an antivaxxer and I follow the science and data.

With that said----I think it has been very harmful for Fauci to repeatedly—since last spring---- push for the re-opening of schools when asked about it by reporters.

There are articles from last April where he was pushing for opening schools in the fall.
That was harmful, imo. He should have been pushing for a COORDINATED strategy to stop the spread at the national level----then we can talk about opening schools.

He should have stated repeatedly and with authority that at the current rate of infections and by the FACT that we do NOT have a coordinated national level of response to this virus we cannot safely open schools.

As of last week he said this:

Dr. Anthony Fauci says schools should ‘try as best as possible’ to return to in-person learning----
“I don’t think there’s going to be a one-size-fits-all here,” said Fauci, whose daughter is a teacher. “There are going to be parts of the country where there is so little viral activity that you don’t have to do anything different. … There are other parts of the country where there’s enough viral activity where you want to make some modifications.”

h-ttps://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Family/dr-anthony-fauci-schools-best-return-person-learning/story?id=72062898

My take from the above quote from Fauci and then from what Birx (stomach turns) said yesterday as well as common sense is I believe we will likely have the virus in areas where there is now little activity if we open schools. I hope I am wrong about this.

h-ttps://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/fauci-country-should-be-in-good-shape-to-reopen-schools-in-the-fall/ar-BB12i76p

Fauci: Country should be in ‘good shape’ to reopen schools in the fall

Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said Tuesday that he thinks the country will be in “good shape” for reopening schools by the start of next school year in the fall.

Dr Fauci says US schools should decide for themselves whether to reopen or not

Updated / Wednesday, 15 Jul 2020 07:46

Asked his views in light of Mr Trump having urged schools to reopen as quickly as possible, Dr Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said, "We should try, as the default, to get the kids to stay in school.

Fauci says it’s time to think about reopening schools

h-ttps://www.cnn.com/2020/06/03/us/fauci-schools-reopening-coronavirus/index.html

2 Likes

In a normal society there shouldn’t be a need for this article. As it is basic common sense - beneficial not only to the individuals involved, but to the public health of the whole community - that schooling be conducted online. But in a society where 30-40 million of unemployed and hungry are neglected, where the aged were ignored and disposed off, where the undocumented and the institutionalized were left to linger, where part of the population believes this is all a hoax, where opening gyms and churches and massage places was a priority, mass experimentation with children’s health is to be expected. Quo Vadis USA?

3 Likes

"However, our government has almost completely abrogated its responsibilities to working class people."

“Almost”? Have you been living under a rock for the last few decades? The republiCon party (& their democratic collaborators) have been screwing over working people for decades now. While I agree with you regarding re-opening schools - it shouldn’t be done. There are far to many people in this nation who don’t believe in facts, science, reality or “human life” unless it is en utero. Many of them are out without masks, demanding their “freedumb” and a return to life as they knew it. And wasn’t it the Lt. Governor of Texas who said that grandparents needed to sacrifice themselves to reopen the economy - that is the unchecked ignorance of bigotry and plain resistance to facts that WE are all dealing with! Those people don’t care until it their grandparent/parent/child/themselves who either get ill or add to the death counts, but by then it’s too late. Until WE can get the virus under control with masks, social distancing and sensitization - we can’t reopen much, especially not the schools.

2 Likes

Does the fact that so many pols have no children of school age, or do have the income and influence to better protect them if they do, play a role in how this is being handled?

Is that a rhetorical question?

3 Likes

I’ve been talking to a few local parents, younger friends with low income jobs (now cut hours or laid off completely) who have been struggling with this for months. One of the snowboarding moms I know I took a box of food bank veggies & fruit to last Friday said that she is NOT going to send her kids to school (6 yr old girl & 7 yr old boy, 16 yr old daughter). RJ came up to my truck when I pulled up very happy to see me, and watched me put on my N95 before I got out to get the boxes from the back. He asked if I was sick and I told him no, that I was just being careful because it’s a bad sick that people are catching and he nodded his head. His mom has been talking reality to them, and they get it though Danielle ran up behind me to give me a huge hug because she only gets the ‘from the front mask’ thing. The older daughter came out to help and she was masked up, so at least some of the little kids are getting this from both mom and big sister! Danielle just turned 6 and she was too excited to see me I guess.

sealintheSelkirks

2 Likes

One thing has become quite clear. In today’s United States the value of human life is measured in its normalcy. Nothing to see here folks, move along, just move along. Not with a bang but a whimper.

And this is just the tip of the iceberg. This pandemic is bad and without a serum to protect us from a virus so lethal that we don’t even now fully know its deadly potential we will continue to have losses to it. But understand even if this virus took one third of our global population we could still maintain our civilization. It would be stressing and we might not recognize what we had become but we would survive. Climate Change offers no indication that it will be so benevolent. I realize that the squeaky wheel gets the grease but shouldn’t we at least pay attention to all the wheels before they freeze up? .

4 Likes

In the US, more than 150,000 people have died from COVID-19. [That’s 3.4% of cases that have lead to death.]

Help me out Mr. Singer:

1. What % of these deaths are people under the age of 25?
  2. What % of all coronavirus cases are people under the age of 25?

Unless I missed this, your article did not include these stats.

One would think this would be important to know, right?

Mr. Singer, thank you for yet another cogent contribution to the national debate on education in the US. Your articles are always a “must read” for me, because you are not only a passionate and vetted voice, but also, you know how to write. To me, you’re kinda like a politically (more) active Louis Sachar. A bold Rafe Esquith. I am also a teacher, as are many of my family and friends. I also have a niece (genius-level young lady ready to cast her first vote as an adult) and nephew (sweet-sixteen love-bug struggling to maintain focus in this modern world) about whom I am deeply concerned, living here in an entirely-not-relatively Taiwan: we freaked out at the announcement of 7 new cases this past weekend because one of them might be a local transmission, while America “leads the world” with ten thousand times more EVERY DAY.
I very much appreciate your continued passion and education. I am a biological sciences major, yet you’re still “taking me to school.” No critique here, just thanks.

Wow. I guess your grocery store is out of its entire supply of Kool-Aid after you shopped there. Nothing but malingerers. What are you doing mal-lingering here? Nothing constructive to do?

Just supply those items yourself. That would be a contribution, as an add on to the article.