Home | About | Donate

'What a Life. What a Remarkable Remarkable Life': Nation Mourns Passing of US Literary Icon Toni Morrison (1931-2019)

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/08/06/what-life-what-remarkable-remarkable-life-nation-mourns-passing-us-literary-icon

1 Like

The Bluest Eye…one of the hardest books for me to read, because I became that little girl, and the black cat with blue eyes, and all the racism and hatred surrounding them. I hope Maya Angelou meets Ms. Morrison beyond the Veil, leading her to the place at the Welcome Table.

2 Likes

This morning, CNN told us that she said she was the only black person in first grade and the only child who could already read.
Harrison grade school because Boone school, a few blocks away did have black children attending.
This also places her childhood home on 20th street, west of Oberlin Avenue. There was a doctors office on the corner. He is in one of her books. I was given as a christmas gift and read three chapters, got nightmares. I know this guy and his portrayal by Chloe is wrong.

Lorain was and is integrated for housing, work, education. also a place where run-a-way slaves arrived (1830’s thru 1860’s), were hid, and then sailed north across Lake Erie to Ontario.