Home | About | Donate

What About Armed Protest?

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2020/07/09/what-about-armed-protest

3 Likes

Remember that Boogaloo Bois get to vote, too, so be there on 3 November en masse.

5 Likes

“There’s battle lines being drawn
Nobody’s right if everybody’s wrong…”
For What It’s Worth, Buffalo Springfield

5 Likes

“When we go to war, nobody wins.”

If this were true, the colonists wouldn’t have sent King George III and his men home to England, and we would still be living under British rule.

3 Likes

I guess the author wants the left to be the unarmed group when a second Civil War erupts.
And actually, when we go to war, someone generally does win.
Ask The Confederacy, Adolph Hitler, and your local Viet Nam vet about that.

2 Likes

True, but do you really think we would be any worse off?

3 Likes

If nothing else, we’d already have a robust single-payer health plan and a multi-party parliamentary sytem. Is it too late to ask for a Mulligan?

7 Likes

We’ll never know now, but, let’s meet down at the pub, have a couple pints, and hash it out.

3 Likes

It’s not the gun

It’s the hand it’s in.

The use of armed force is a fearsome thing, and absent discipline and wisdom, can have catastrophic consequences. I have no doubt at least some of the armed anti racists lack those qualities.

Yet we do have a right to proportionate self defense. Rather than focusing on what folks are bearing, shouldn’t we be pondering ways they can do so that will avert a calamity, while providing the protection that is their goal?

1 Like

Protestors must not take the bait. They must eschew deadly forms of violence,
even though it may be justified. Otherwise, they will see the support that they now
deservedly enjoy, melt away like an ice cube on hot pavement.

I don’t want them to give TPTB an excuse for a Black Panther Party redux.

3 Likes