Home | About | Donate

What America Can Learn From the World's Happiest Countries

What America Can Learn From the World's Happiest Countries

Ryan Cooper

Item: The life expectancy of the United States was recently found to have declined for the third straight year, something typically associated with all-out war, economic crises, or political collapse. According to the CIA, as of 2017 the U.S.

0 Likes

The rate of babies being born prematurely has increased too. Being concerned about this increasing rate, many health care providers suspect that its because pregnant mothers aren’t accessing social benefits WIC and Medicaid because right wingers shame them from doing so. The whole of society ends up paying the costs of these premature babies. Why do right wingers content themselves with letting costs spiral out of control when they could be contained - by social spending?

I know this discussion is going on because I’m one of those health care providers who are in on this national discussion- kinda sorta.

1 Like

America sounds so good—on paper, but —sigh—it doesn’t seem that proficient in actual action. This is truly amazing, because other mammals like elephants and wolves, and so many other creatures are so much more caring about their animal groups.Even creatures understand the Common Good…
To find that life expectancy in America is declining is sad, but not surprising as somehow, with all the benefits of a newly formed nation and in being so young a nation----I am constantly amazed at how money seems to have the most value of anything in America! : (

2 Likes

Excellent article.

A good deal of excellently gathered, clear, straightforward information on this can be had in the works of Richard Wilkinson (usually written in tandem with one or another author). Here’s a good 17-minute introduction at TED:

0 Likes

We have overpopulation- why are so many people determined to add to that problem?

0 Likes

Yes! I recently read about people whose friends dumped them because they couldn’t afford to vacation in Monte Carlo. I laughed my face off.

1 Like

America USED to sound good on paper. We knew because foreigners would tell us so. But now it is foreigners that are saying, hold on a minute, there are a number of things we no longer like. We the people can read those tea leaves without glasses. We will get the hint one by one as the system picks us off ten at a time.

1 Like

All the more reason for affordable access to birth control, and family planning clinics. Certainly not to discard them.
And agricultural engineering doesn’t hurt either.
Careful use of potable water.
The way it was done, in it’s time, by the native Americans.

1 Like

If you watch interactions on some of the youtube sites like comedy ones, you find that in Britain for example, peoples interplay shows ethnic and racial differences are cohesive. In America there seems to be a tendency of some people to hold on to separate cultures thereby putting friction on relationships and engagements.
We can share in relations, or we can hold out as separate and proud. I think the outcomes can have an effect on the happiness level.

1 Like

Hi Gandolf: --sigh—the Preamble is there to remind people of the goals----but sadly,
money and power rate higher. China and Italy are working together now, as the cooperation of many in the ME and EU look to another way of viewing the world----which doesn’t require America planting military base in other’s lands.
America has become a 21st century Hamlet—lots of potential but unable to answer ----"to be or not to be, " that IS the question. : (

0 Likes

Start in the towns and villages at the grass roots level- that’s how it usually is done.

0 Likes