Home | About | Donate

What Baton Rouge Can Learn from New Orleans About Bringing Flood Victims Home

What Baton Rouge Can Learn from New Orleans About Bringing Flood Victims Home

Danielle Baussan

In the wake of the nation’s worst natural disaster since Superstorm Sandy, flood recovery efforts are now underway in Baton Rouge: Electricity is operating in certain neighborhoods, damaged floors and walls are being removed from homes, and homeowners are beginning to deal with emergency assistance and insurance—or a lack thereof.

First, if you don't have to come back, don't. Second, if you do, that flood washed cancer causing agents, and other dangerous materials all around Baton Rouge, it is a very high level danger zone, be careful. Three, get rid of those politicians who voted against Sandy Aid, they are not out to help you, they are not your friend. Forth, Go Green Dr. Jill Stein,M.D., Ajamu Baraka!

The exodus from Katrina was but the first of many in this country alone. There will be more, such as the residents of Shishmaref, Alaska who are fleeing inland and away from their traditional shoreline lifestyle, where they practiced sustainable fishing for the bulk of their nutrition. Prolonged droughts will ultimately cause more displacement. Around the globe, climate-induced diaspora will be much worse, as North America is not on the prime-time list for anticipated climate effects, though it has contributed the greatest to the problem. No one said life was fair.

During my college days it was required that students student-teach before obtaining degrees in Education.

I did my student teaching in upstate New York and the teacher whose class I taught experienced a trauma that no parent would ever wish to experience: the murder of her daughter.

I came to know her family which consisted of two surviving sisters and when I established a bond, I began to probe a bit.

Along the lines of the Monk studying the lives of those who died in the sudden bridge incident in Lima, Peru (The Pulitzer Prize winning, "Bridge of San Luis Rey"), I wanted to confirm my own belief that events of this nature seldom happen without prior warnings.

I found out that the murdered girl had been in a prior car accident. Also, that on the night of the murder she'd had a fight with her boyfriend and was walking home late at night.

I even inquired into the prenatal era trying to find out if anything significant happened to the girl's mother (the teacher) during the pregnancy.

I found data in all arenas.

This in NO way justifies the murder. What it explains is that nothing happens of a fierce nature without earlier events leading up to it.

I have shared this material to serve as Cautionary Tale because I view New Orleans and many of the low-lying parishes as the "individual" receiving the warnings.

So far, this area has been hit hard twice and if one counts the Deep Sea oil debacle in its "watery backyard," that would mean 3 strikes.

This area is NOT destined for long.

Computer models that seek to track global warming factor in patterns that were true in the past. These linear models CANNOT process the exponential rise in so-called "tipping points."

Bottom line: These are warnings to the residents of that area to get out.

I have friends who live in the Florida Keys and one jokes with me that she'll stay as long as she can and sell the house to a Republican who doesn't believe in global warming.

The scary thing is that none of us knows how much time we've got left.

There are some very interesting stories on You Tube pertaining to our sun having a twin star... and that this planetary body is coming closer and this explains the sudden surge of volcanic and earthquake activity, and some of the sink holes and other really strange anomalies.

The point is--for those living in areas quickly consumed by fires or floodwaters or earthy debris, End Times have arrived. And for the rest of us, living at or below sea level hardly seems like a viable place to rebuild.