Home | About | Donate

What Did Deepest Submarine Dive in History Find in Mariana Trench? Plastic Garbage

What Did Deepest Submarine Dive in History Find in Mariana Trench? Plastic Garbage

Eoin Higgins, staff writer

Four new species of crustaceans. Samples of rock from the seafloor. Plastic pollution.

That's what American explorer Victor Vescovo found when he descended seven miles underwater to the Mariana Trench in the Pacific Ocean—the deepest dive in human history. The plastic Vescovo found at the bottom of the trench is a grim reminder that human refuse is everywhere on the planet.

If that plastic had been made from HEMP, it would have biologically decomposed before it reached the ocean floor.

2 Likes

Humans, either wantonly, ignorantly, or haplessly, treat the planet like a garbage dump.

It’s gotten to the point that I’m actually looking forward to the dead humans who will pileup when nature has the last laugh and climate chaos reigns. Let’s call a spade a spade: We humans can’t stop ourselves – the system is overwhelmingly huge – so nature will do it for us.

2 Likes

What a sad commentary about our species. Maybe in a few years, we’ll find cigarette butts on Mars as well.
Mr. Blair M. Phillips
Canada

1 Like

Modern humans are getting very proficient at creating their own extinction. Cockroaches, ticks and rats will rule the day feasting on our reeking hubris.

2 Likes

I consider humans an STD hell bent on killing its host. I’m always amazed at the people who say there is still hope despite all the evidence to the contrary. Before the end of the century there will be 15 billion people, double the current population, before it peaks. Think of the damage we do now, then double it. While much is made of the growth of solar and wind as a percentage of the global energy market, the total electricity demand is expanding much faster. We’re doomed folks.

Rats, roaches and ticks are too complex of life forms to survive the heat, acid and lack of oxygen. The earth may sustain some Thermophilic bacteria and dormant spores.

Maybe in a thousand or two thousand years from now someone will be mining for plastics to convert back into fossil fuel energy of some sort. How nice of us to pile it up neatly in many places.