Home | About | Donate

What Do Russian Analysts Make of the Charge Moscow Offered Taliban Bounties on US Troops?

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2020/07/03/what-do-russian-analysts-make-charge-moscow-offered-taliban-bounties-us-troops

4 Likes

Let’s just remember that whatever is going on over in Afghanistan, Syria, Iraq, etc. it has nothing to do with the citizens of the USA, only the corporations. War is a Racket, after all, as Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler let us know. When we feel compelled to wave the flag to “support our troops” (think tomorrow) we must remember that that would really mean bringing them back within the confines of our borders where they belong. “[False] Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel.”–Samuel Johnson

8 Likes

First of all, what in the hell is Common Dreams doing publishing a piece from a Serbian journalist who writes for . . . .Tsarizm!! (Immediately the question of whether Mikovic is a Russian tool should at least be considered.)

Second, this piece doesn’t even rise to the level of analysis. Putin is perhaps sending some sort of signal to the Trump administration, or to Biden, or is trying to sow greater chaos in the US. It might be one, two or all of these things. Putin is a grandmaster-level international geopolitical chess player, and the “analysis” here is completely unilluminating.

The more important point is that progressives have no stake in the ultimately infantile intrigues between the thuggish and rightwing Putin regime, his tool Trump (also a thug), the US Deep State (also thugs), and the Democratic Party and news establishment (also thugs). There are no “good guys” in this picture, and the victory of none of them are in progressives’ interests or that of the survival of humanity.

4 Likes

From the Russian perspective, the US media are accusing Moscow of what the United States did during the Afghan war against the USSR.

From Mikovic’s first paragraph, where he appoints himself (a freelancer living in Serbia) as eyeglass-holder of “the Russian perspective.” At which point I throw up my hands in consternation: I give up.

Mikovic’s absurd tit-for-tat frame only takes the general absurdity and wraps it in another layer of ersatz sophistication. Good lord, people, just look at the theory they (including Mikovic) are shoving at us. Those lazy Afghan militants – you know, the ones our young men and women in harm’s way have supposedly been fighting in the longest war anyone ever thought possible – our military opponents, that is, have so lost sight of the point of it all that Russians need to offer attractive rewards for bumping off US American soldiers? (Sounds like the Afghan scam what am, Sam, from a can of spam.)

What are the details of this arrangement? A free Ford Explorer for any militant taking out someone over the rank of corporal (for a PFC, a nice set of steak-knives)? And US Americans offered similar rewards for Russian heads on pikes, back in the day? Who is this weird columnist, and what is he doing here?

3 Likes

Both Russia and China obviously have justified interests in what happens in Afghanistan - certainly more so than the U.S. The Afghanis, in their depleted condition, could and should come together to leverage their position in extracting investment in their country from these obvious regional players and potential allies. Afghani interests would be better served by aligning with these more rational allies while escaping the clutches of their American pimps, whose only achievement so far has been to corner the world’s heroin market.

7 Likes

CT and AN IMO are off on tangents. Why wouldn’t, in all of this, we want views from a little more to the east? If the arguments are valid, let’s get’em from anywhere. But no, the arguments have to be wrong from the get-go themselves. Absurd. When Loud & Clear examines the thing they have one guy sitting in DC talking to another guy sitting in Russia (John Kiriakou and Bryan Macdonald respectively)
over…perish the thought…a thing called electronic communications. Check out the show they put up on 6/30. The salient reality is that Putin wants us there. If people write here and don’t acknowledge this reality in the whole crap-mix of this flap, man I’m almost at a loss for words. But the-state-of-no-words to describe a lot of stupid narratives floating around these days is a state I seem to be passing in and out of more and more often.

And I’ll answer John Kiriakou’s question too while I’m here. A partial answer. Yes, probably this insane hullabaloo was put out there to justify staying. But also MICIMATT has such irrational and inflated faith in Russiagate that they believe for example they can pull it out at a moment’s notice, and it’ll blow something like concern over George Floyd off to the four corners. Seems pretty obvious to me.

(Military-Industrial-Congressional-Intelligence-Media-Academia-Think-Tank)

3 Likes

Yawn…

1 Like

Loud and Clear is a great show. Incredible guests and knowledgeable hosts.

1 Like

If an analyst says anything less than that these charges are bullshit and made to sabotage detante and peace talks and to further the new cold war against Russia then that analyst shouldn’t be taken seriously ever again.

8 Likes

When Trump visited the USSR to make a real estate deal during the 1980s then KGB agent Putin took advantage of a great opportunity to make Trump his bitch. It was Putin’s ability to infiltrate the USSR’s, subsequently Russia’s arch-rival that enabled Putin to achieve and maintain the pinnacle of power in Russia. Trump has always owed Putin and always will.

2 Likes

Who says the piece has to be analysis to your satisfaction?
As the headline and piece make clear, its objective is to report what Russian analysts say.

Usually I think of right-wingers refusing to even consider other points of view.
Do a lot of Common Dreams readers share your apparent head-in-the-sand perspective?

3 Likes

I think it was the Russian mob more than Putin that dRumpf is in debt to – they rescued him
out of bankruptcy several times (no wonder he doesn’t want his taxes made public).
And of course that gives Putin some leverage.

But the Russiagate conspiracy – basically the DNC distracting us from its disastrous 2016 campaign and its sabotage of Bernie’s this year – is not behind everything. Sorry.

6 Likes

This bounty story is way overblown even if it is true.

• Don’t the Taliban have enough incentive to kill Yankee soldiers without Russian gold?
    (And if they’re on that take, why are they killing fewer than in previous years?)

• How many greenbacks did Uncle Sam pay the mujahideen to kill Ruskies and their allies?

• How much did Uncle Sam pay – illegally even under U.S. law – the contras to kill Nicaraguans?

• How much is Uncle Sam paying mercenaries and Venezuelan traitors to kill and displace Venezuelans? (Oops – Washington is using money it stole from Venezuela to pay its corrupt political impostors and finance their invasions and sabotage.)

8 Likes

So , what - we stick fingers in our ears to any other perspectives because because?..
Well I have no idea what your ‘because ‘ is…
It seems to be the view that everyone Is bad except your little ‘progressive’ view so nothing matters and we listen to nothing … ?
Yeah, no…

Agree… it’s almost funny that the outlets pushing this As an ‘outrage story’ are completely ignoring our long Illustrious history of doing the same thing…

6 Likes

I think the bigger question is being completely ignored. Whether or not the wonderful, beautiful Russians, that you all seem to love so much, offered a bounty on US troops is not the big question. The big question is why did Trump ignore the intelligence? If one, say, a President, received such info, wouldn’t you think he would want more investigation into the matter? The fact that Trump doesn’t seem to care that Russia MIGHT be offering a bounty on US troops is the outrage here. Russiagate. You Russia apologists need to get a grip. Btw, the fact that we’ve “done the same thing” or “worse” is not an excuse. If you murder someone it is no defense that someone else has murdered someone before you, so now you can’t possibly be guilty of murder. What kind of logic is that?

2 Likes

And they wonder why people don’t take them seriously when they warn about covid19

This really doesn’t make the smell test for me.
1 - The “information” from the CIA/NSA/??? directly to the NY Times reporter. I got “leaks” too years ago and they were often from officials with someone to attack by using me, often while claiming to hate me (a claim which allowed them to pretend the information didn’t come from them)(
2 - the information is from agency people whose entire job is to lie
– now more practical considerations
3 - I can’t imagine the GRU being dumb enough to leave either electronic or paper trails to the money because …
4 - for operations like this you dole out cash, in person, on the ground, directly and not …
5 - leaving a “trail” (any kind of trail for something like this) smells more like a clumsy way to leave someone else’s fingerprints
6 - through some third party (Azizi) who supposedly rolls around in new wheels and probably other personal bling (suddenly, after getting the “distribution” to pay out) and who …
7 - is probably more liable to abscond with the money (such as those billions of dollars on pallets in Iraq for distribution by the Paul Bremer regime and after, following the “Iraq war” in 2003)
8 - not to mention that this is provocative in a way which tends to overturn peace talks or other arrangements and work arounds, which it seems to have managed (goes to motive, maybe to keep the war going with shipments of goods and just plain war business)
9 - (item: concern and interests) - hard to imagine that Gina Haspel (CIA), if she were that interested in the welfare of US troops, would put the item in one PDB (presidential daily briefing) and then let it just go on by, especially knowing what a non-reader and non-worker Trump is.
10 - therefore surely Haspel would have put it in one such PDB after another or if truly concerned would have taken her self right into the White House (hereafter known as Bleach House) and stuck herself in Mango’s face to make the point, right then and there and persistently, insistently and …
11 - hard to imagine that the CIA would wait until sometime this year to even get around to the “bounty danger” again, and to do it with mainstream media which …
12 - because it is mainstream media will just take dictation and write the story (rather than media with former intelligence professionals or others who will do the real footwork on this and really check it out)
13 - which leads me to think this is designed to undermine both any working arrangements with Russia, etcetera, and to undermine Trump. I’m all for undermining Dumps so I hate giving Bunker Boi any leeway, but this just has too many problem points in terms of timing, narrative, motive, non-follow up and so forth for me to give it much credit.
14 - But, of course, lame-stream media just eats it up because it is a free meal, already on a plate SRR (stories ready to roll, like MRE, meals ready to eat). Lazy and juicy.
15 - It also works right in with CIA/NSA/etc methods for using and compromising media as a tool as well as a discrediting device (yes, they are contradictory)

1 Like