Home | About | Donate

What Does War Generate?

What Does War Generate?

Kathy Kelly

At an April, 2017 Symposium on Peace in Nashville, TN, Martha Hennessy spoke about central tenets of Maryhouse, a home of hospitality in New York City, where Martha often lives and works. Every day, the community there tries to abide by the counsels of Dorothy Day, Martha’s grandmother, who co-founded houses of hospitality and a vibrant movement in the 1930s. During her talk, she held up a postcard-sized copy of one of the movement’s defining images, Rita Corbin's celebrated woodcut listing "The Works of Mercy" and "The Works of War."

War generates Death and Human Suffering.

And, big profits for the industries that thrive off of it.

Powerful, Kathy. Every American needs to read this!

Regarding the quotes of the Generals above, such as "..not terribly interested..., " wasn't necessarily concerned" when asked about unnecessary casualties, I can think of a simple two word reply: "war criminal".

War Criminals get awards and promotions. Their victims get a grave, if enough pieces can be found and identified.
What's wrong with this picture?
;-})

John Lennon & Yoko Ono: WAR IS OVER! (If You Want It)

Too bad not enough people seem to want it...

abolish war!

live together!

War has a very specific purpose in our economy. It has nothing to do with freedom, democracy, or the rights and welfare of those on whose behalf we ostensibly fight. It has everything to do with the shock doctrine: make a profit when you blow it up; make a profit when you rebuild. Externalize collateral damage. Suffering is irrelevant. Soldiers are expendable; mere cannon fodder. To the military-industrial complex, a profitable war is a just war.

"War is a racket. It always has been.

"It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives.

"A racket is best described, I believe, as something that is not what it seems to the majority of the people. Only a small "inside" group knows what it is about. It is conducted for the benefit of the very few, at the expense of the very many. Out of war a few people make huge fortunes.

"In the World War [I] a mere handful garnered the profits of the conflict. At least 21,000 new millionaires and billionaires were made in the United States during the World War. That many admitted their huge blood gains in their income tax returns. How many other war millionaires falsified their tax returns no one knows". - Marine Maj-General Smedley Butler

Just think how many fortunes made and trillions wasted on war today! A crime of such vast proportions our entire world and all societies everywhere pay for the robbery by a relative few.

https://www.ratical.org/ratville/CAH/warisaracket.html

My heart breaks but Kathy Kelly and other heroines in Afghanistan and abroad must be broadcast across the western world and not just in the USA. NATO is the operation at hand. This article should be pushed to NATO countries. I well recall images I will never forget and have spoken about to other people of that bulldozing in trenches of Iraqi soldiers left in the desert by Sadaam Hussein, comprising overwhelmingly of Shiites without provisions and scared stiff. When American forces eventually began rounding up prisoners of war, those who had survived, those poor wretches were paraded on network televisions surrendering, being captured and in truth being saved. Somebody in the army must have realised and called a stop to the atrocities I imagine? Whatever happened, most looked distinctly like kids. That is children and ragged remnants of what was left over from Storming Norman's desert storm. Recollect the scenes? It was a lightning bolt across the desert in four days with almost no casualties?

Media had it primed for tv. It was a highly organised operation involving many countries and forces. They were we were told facing a desperate enemy well entrenched defending the front lines with Republican Guards in armoured divisions to the rear? Recall too we were reliably informed that the enemy had one million defenders ready to die for Sadaam? That was all nonsense. Those front line trenched faced the might of the allied armour divisions hiding deep in first world war trenches with small arms and no provisions. They immediately wanted to surrender. They were not allowed to do that. In front of those about to be buries alive pleading arms and cries were entirely ignored and the policy was to bulldoze all and everything again and again into those trenches with desert sand. Out of sight and out of mind? Well, not from my mind. It was impossible to eve forget. It was unbelievable! There was a pair of commentators having a discussion with a big screen of ongoing events during desert storm. It was being transmitted on that screen. I think it may well have been the BBC. It was jaw dropping realisation of what was happening. It never appeared again anywhere to my knowledge. Anybody who saw ti would never forget it. I'd often followed and been aware of the horror of any war. But honestly this whole charade to punish Sadaam wasn't a war. The allied forces owned the skies, there was no opposing threat. It was a show and one of many massacres. Without any doubt whatsoever a war crime. When the air force then had their Turkey shoot at retreating vehicles to Iraq from Kuwait on a congested highway or two, some pilots called a halt too. There are always some with a conscience.

The entire show was a charade and mass killings are estimated to have resulted in tens of thousands of deaths. Sadaam in his heyday couldn't have approached the number of casualties inflicted by the great allied coalition for the international community to feel secure from Sadaam. Then the Shia were left to their fate having been encouraged to revolt as Sadaam's few air craft operated against them. All in all another brutal repression in the South of Iraq. The Kurds as always had been forced into a no man's land. All in all a great victory for freedom and democracy? Norman when asked said eh estimated about one hundred odd Iraq casualties?

People from the military know what happened. Some were there doing it or witnessing it. Somebody was obeying orders because it was an organised unconscionable act of mass murder of other human beings who posed no threat to the tanks and armoured forces with them. All those soldiers deserted for weeks in their posts were left to die and tried desperately to appeal to humanity and to surrender to the storming troops converging on their poorly
defensible lines. That particular unconscionable action was recorded on tv live. We know well the results of the air force Turkey shoots. That is something people should know about their armed forces being let loose abroad.

Thank you, atelios, for posting this ageless, timeless reminder of what is truly important! It is true and powerful! It will be 37 years this December since we lost this man, and I miss him every day! We must continue to strive to accomplish his mission!

One thousand likes, IMO, for posting this! War crimes without any doubt! It seems that the "Exceptional" nation can just ignore the Geneva Convention whenever it chooses to!

Many of the criminals have their names enshrined on buildings for all to (supposedly) revere. Statues too, as has been throughout history.

Thank you for this article. I had one point of confusion: I could not find the identification of the acronym APV, the program that provides a small amount of food to families. Perhaps I missed it.

In the Works of War, I couldn't help seeing that many of these actions are being taken by the United States against itself.

The United States of America is also at war with itself, destroying water purity, forcing GMO and pesticide in foods, imprisoning protesters, ....

It looks to me like a return to the Dark Ages.

It's not right to respond to terrorism by terrorizing other people. And furthermore, it's not going to help. Then you might say, "Yes, it's terrorizing people, but it's worth doing because it will end terrorism." But how much common sense does it take to know that you cannot end terrorism by indiscriminately dropping bombs?

HOWARD ZINN, Terrorism and War

Yes, I would agree-extreme economic inequality. Generally the years 500-1000. Chaucer signals the beginning of the renaissance, or end of Medieval Period. In fact, the Black Death occurred in 1348-50, 350 years after the end of the Dark Ages.

Actually, the more I think, those ages appear a bit brighter than today in retrospect . . .

Thank you. Because of this, I'll clean one of my near mint copies of Double Fantasy tonight, and spin sides A and B on a vintage Thorenz TD160, still spinning flawlessly since the mid 70's, when John was still alive.

That's one Christmas tune that always brings a tear of joy, mixed with a tear of sadness, mixed with another one of remembrance, and one of hope.

Put it in the window . . .