Home | About | Donate

“What Harm Can Their Be in One Little Question?”: How the Horrific Grows in Small Steps

Logical fallacy fouls!:

Non sequitur

Ignoratio elenchi

Nobody, even Chancellor Hitler, was thinking of liquidating Jews, Gypsies, and gays in, say, 1935, either. It took him a few more years to come to the “realization” that a “final solution” was needed to address the “problem.”

You do know that a majority of Democrats in hte US congress are supporters of many of the items on your list, right?

And By the way, “open primaries” are a terrible idea. Do you really want your political enemies having a say in the selection of your own party’s (say, the Green Party) candidates?

In the better functioning democracies of the world like, say, Germany, party candidates are selected by party committees. Primaries themselves are a uniquely idiotic USAn thing.

You seem to misinterpret my response. When faced with a choice between a Democrat and a Republican I’ll almost certainly vote for the Democrat. When faced with a choice between a real progressive and a corporate Democratic, I’ll vote for the progressive. If I see a viable third party candidate aligned with my views, that’s where I’ll go.

You, on the other hand, will always vote for the Democrat, regardless of his or her positions on any given issue, provided he or she will support the Democratic power structure. You’re a party operative. I’m an issues person. Totally different.

Because I actually believe in having people have a say in our democracy, yes I’m happy to have the Greens vote in Democratic primaries. You, on the other hand, are a party hack, interested preserving the power structure. I’m interested in addressing problems with real solutions. That’s the difference between us.

If you honestly think that there is any path between deporting illegal aliens and the death camps, I feel sorry for your fevered imagination. You’ve allowed your disgust for Trump to override your intellect.

Hitler called for the elimination of the Jews from the 1920s on…

For us, this is not a problem you can turn a blind eye to-one to be solved by small concessions. For us, it is a problem of whether our nation can ever recover its health, whether the Jewish spirit can ever really be eradicated. Don’t be misled into thinking you can fight a disease without killing the carrier, without destroying the bacillus. Don’t think you can fight racial tuberculosis without taking care to rid the nation of the carrier of that racial tuberculosis. This Jewish contamination will not subside, this poisoning of the nation will not end, until the carrier himself, the Jew, has been banished from our midst.

From a speech by Hitler in 1920

Find me any place where Trump is calling for the destruction of illegal immigrants.

Trump’s an arse, but he’s not genocidal.

Gotcha!

Hardly.

Since Godwin himself has called the alt-right in Charlottesville “shitheads” and “Nazis”, I think he’d be on board with the kind of policies the administration is throwing as red meat to its base - which includes the “very fine people”.

I voted third party when a Democrat came within less than 1000 votes of knocking off my tea party congressman a few years ago. My independent moral superiority was so great, my conviction so strong, that I didn’t vote for the centrist Democrat in my red district. So, I’m represented by an asshole that keeps wanting to sell off public lands, voted for the Ryan plutocratic tax plan, doesn’t give a shit about the environment, and wants to wreck Medicaid. Good for me I guess, and the other third party voters in my district. We sure showed them neolibs, and I think it was one of the dumbest vote of my life.

By the way, the Greens have closed primaries here in California. The Democrats have a primary independents can participate in.

The Nazi occupation tried the same trick in Denmark requiring all Jews to wear a yellow 6 pointed star. The King and royal family of that time all donned 6 pointed stars as a signal to the Danish people to do the same thing. It worked and there were no mass deportations and exterminations from Denmark. Ms. Monroe is correct in her reasoning and assumptions.

Wrong on all counts. First off, there is no such thing as an “illegal” immigrant. There are just immigrants that migrate for any number of reasons. Some are undocumented and seeking asylum.

As to the “liquidation”, the USA was founded on the liquidation of the indigenous of this continent. And founded on slavery where humans were mere property to be used, abused, and “liquidated” at the whim of the owners, laws, and governments.

The USA is not a democracy of, by, and for the people. The USA is an empire run by oligarchs for the plunder and profit of the elite class. Doesn’t matter much what label we put on the beast - Fascist or whatever. In the end if we continue to support the status quo, no matter or creed or color, we will all suffer and die at the bottom of the elite run heap together. Not to mention the destruction of our only home that is soon to become uninhabitable for lifeforms on this planet.

Rebel, people who enter a country without authorization are there illegally. Every nation, including the US has the right to control their own borders, and determine on what grounds people are allowed to enter, and remain. Those that are “undocumented” are not in the country legally.

As I said to @yunzer, find me a quote where Trump has called for the liquidation of illegals.

Thank you. This whole one person/one vote thing under the duopoly is rigged in such a way that our votes can’t change anything no matter what the people of different political persuasions actually want and need. the Dems/Repubs are just two wings on the same corrupt bird.

Not sure how you got inside Hitler’s head and knew what he was thinking when. Neat trick you got there!

Thank you Dianne Moore for this history lesson. I’m reminded of the courage it takes to say “no.”