Home | About | Donate

What I Learn When I Have Lunch at Cook County Jail

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2019/10/15/what-i-learn-when-i-have-lunch-cook-county-jail

4 Likes

From the article:

“These are citizens who have the right to vote.”

I would argue that nobody should lose the franchise for any reason (well, I might make an exception for treason). People serving custodial sentences are just as much affected–if not more so!–by political decisions, as those who have never seen the inside of a cell.

What say you, Reverend? Is there really any public benefit to disenfranchising people who have already lost their freedom?

3 Likes

I read a statistic that some 30000 children under the age of 10!! had been arrested by the Police and charged under juvenile crime laws over the past half dozen years. They are arrested for things like having temper tantrums in a classroom or schoolyard fights.

2 Likes

Sometimes they get out after years of waste youth, pull themselves together, and do really well like my late brother-in-law.

2 Likes

Very few brain surgeons commit burglaries. Is that because they are morally superior, or because burglary could possibly make sense only if you are poor and desperate? Maybe poverty and its resultant desperation, with ramifications into drug abuse, is the problem.

3 Likes

All to often our fates are determined by how much justice we can afford.

5 Likes

I’ve met a handful of evil medical practitioners in my life. It is harder for a patient to remove the practitioner, much easier and less stress to remove oneself and one’s family as quickly as possible. Just sayin’.

Well more then a few Doctors have been charged with medicare fraud, double billing or receiving kickbacks from Corporations for forcing various drugs and “cures” on patients that those Corporations want to see distributed.

Now a person stealing because he hungry is very different then a person stealing just because they want more and has far as the LAW is concerned it that poor person stealing because he hungry that is going to do jail time.

The message from the State could not be more clear. Poor is evil , greed is good.

4 Likes

Private and public hospital doctors also sometimes seek to fill hospital beds and fill out their schedule with surgeries. Virtue is not a necessary requisite to becoming a doctor. Yeah, I know the Hippocratic Oath. But practice is a variation of.

1 Like

Thank you Jesse, for excellent perspective.

Yes, here in the Land of The Free and Home of The Brave, we spend more on prisons than we do on education.

2 Likes

Jesse, this is true. But here at CD, you are preaching to the choir. Can you say this to NYT, Fox, MSN? I have a picture of Johnny Cash sitting down and saying this to Nixon. And prison percentages have only gone up since then.

1 Like