Home | About | Donate

What I Learned From My March With Democracy Spring

What I Learned From My March With Democracy Spring

Frances Moore Lappé

This past Monday was the most important day of my life. I walked up to the Capitol building and sat on the steps with more than 400 people. When asked to move, we refused and were arrested. We committed nonviolent civil disobedience together to protest the power of money in politics and support the restoration of real democracy.

I was arrested in the afternoon and didn’t get out until midnight.

The 60s mantra to "never trust anyone over age 30" that FML highlights sheds some light on the media's strategy to characterize Sanders' base as being limited to those under 30 when nothing could be further from the truth.

This is just one of many examples of the media and the Clinton campaign rolling out obsolete and inaccurate information since neither have anything of substance that makes Sanders look bad.

So what is the racial mix like in Democracy Spring? Or is it all just white folks?

"Have you ever been to jail for justice? Then you're a friend of mine." Marching for justice; getting arrested for standing up against injustice is a true feeling of citizenship that is unbelieveably soul fulfilling.

the zionist media NYT, Wash Post etc wants eternal wars for profit, apartheid Israel and a divided America to distract from the bankster extortion of the financial system and the illegal expansion of 'eretz Israel'. AIPAC rules congress and the White House. All candidates must appease AIPAC each election cycle or they will be demonized.

Ms. Lappe, this may be the only chance I'll get to say thank you for all your years of work on our behalf.

Does it matter, since we are all in this together.

It does matter because the folks like Lappe have the means to retain counsel and post bail and her notoriety as an author has its benefits...not to take away from what she has accomplished over the years. Others who may not have the means and are non-white just may have to sit in jail longer, pay bigger fines, and have an arrest record that may follow them into perpetuity thus interfering with their employability.

Granted, we are all in this together but some can afford to be arrested more than others....

I sat with Frances on the Capitol steps. We chatted briefly. I read "Diet for a Small Planet" in the first year it came out and have admired this brave and visionary lady ever since. Transformation starts in the minds and hearts of individuals. Some among us see farther faster, and she's one of that breed. Frances is exactly right that good things happen when average people are able to exercise the power to govern their own lives and effect positive change at home and in their communities. When enough people come to recognize that they can accomplish great things by working together democratically, nothing can stand in their way. Democracy Spring is the spark that is going to ignite an entire nation of working and middle class men and women to rise up and in a single voice demand that our government work for us and not just for millionaires, billionaires, and transnational corporations. Brava, Ms. Lappé!

We didn't post bail. We were handed a citation that required us to pay a $50 fine within two weeks either in person at the Capitol Police HQ or by mail. There is an arrest record but no conviction. Our records would not present any difficulty for someone seeking employment or in traveling. In fact, the police imposed no "Stay Away" order, and any of us could have gone back and gotten re-arrested without any risk of incurring a stiffer penalty.

There will never be democracy unless the following questions can get answered:

Why does the USA pay compound interest to privatists of Private Sector Privatism when the USA has unlimited public collateral, USA National public wealth and USA National labor, Latent Supply and Demand, to fund a USA Public Money Supply that is not indentured to privatists of the Private Sector of Privatism to pay compound interest for money to fund the USA Government?

Privatists of Private Sector Privatism initiated and institutionalized a Criminal Scheme to obtain compound interest on the USA National Debt that goes all the way back in time to June 5, 1890 and before, and was addressed by John Sherman on the Floor of the U.S. Senate, an institutionalized Criminal Scheme of Privatism's Private Sector to obtain compound interest on the USA National Debt by creating USA National Debt when USA National Debt was unnecessary, USA National Debt was, is and continues to be unnecessary, due to the fact that the USA had, has and continues to have unlimited Public Collateral, USA National Public Wealth and USA National Labor, Latent Supply and Demand, to fund a USA Public Money Supply that is not indentured to privatists of the Private Sector of Privatism to pay compound interest for money to fund the USA Government; the USA Government did not, has not and does not require Private Sector Debt because the USA Government has unlimited Public collateral.

The making and enforcing of institutionalized criminal legislated law and order has empowered a Privatist Scheme of USA National Debt that by way of compound interest on unnecessary USA National Debt has indentured the Public Sector of the USA to the Private Sector of the USA unnecessarily by way of compound interest payments by the Public Sector to the Private Sector on an unnecessary National Debt.

Again, the USA always has had unlimited public collateral to fund USA public currency. The USA Private Sector, Privatists of Privatism have engineered USA Law and Order to require the USA Government to "Borrow Money" from the USA Private Sector and pay compound interest to the Private Sector, principal and interest, that has now mushroomed into a Nineteen Trillion Dollar National Debt. During the time that privatists of the Private Sector engineered and effected the Nineteen Trillion Dollar USA National Debt, the USA had unlimited USA public collateral to fund a USA Public Money Supply, a USA Public Money Supply not indentured to privatists of the Private Sector of Privatism to pay compound interest for money to fund the USA Government.

Is the USA population as a whole expected to be responsible for the making and enforcing of unnecessary institutionalized Criminal legislated law and order by privatists of the Private Sector of Privatism in the USA that by compound interest on a USA Nineteen Trillion Dollar National Debt obligates the entire population to pay for debt they did not need. The USA population as a whole have had, and continue to have unlimited public collateral, USA National Public Wealth and USA National Labor, Latent Supply and Demand, to fund a USA Public Money Supply that is NOT indentured to privatists of the Private Sector of Privatism to pay compound interest for money to fund the USA Government and therefore did not, do not, and will not require DEBT.

It is time for a change.

It is time for an end to Privatism and Privatist Parasites that worm their way into govrnment and infest the institutionalized making and enforcing of legislated law and order for self serving benefit of privatism.

It is time for the American People to "WAKE UP!!!"

The American People have been charged Nineteen Trillion Dollars Principle and Interest by Privatists on loans that the American People did not need and loans for which the American People had the collateral to fund the American People's own Public Money Supply, so that the necessity of borrowing money from the Private Sector was an unnecessary obscenity.

It is time for the American People to WAKE UP and realize the American People's best interest is not the greedy self interest of the Private Sector that indentured the American People unnecessarily to an obscenity of Nineteen Trillion Dollars of unnecessary Principle and Compound Interest as USA National Debt.

Stupid question, those steps being public property, are there signs saying you can't be where you were? Like, you can't trespass on these steps, Public Property, No Tresspassing?

I have to disagree that having an arrest record "...would not present any difficulty for someone seeking employment or traveling." Teachers are at risk as are applicants for jobs in the public sector. As for your assertion that being re-arrested would come "without any risk of incurring a stiffer penalty..." that may work if the person(s) arrested is/are white but not so much for African-Americans or other minorities.