Home | About | Donate

What If They Called an Election and Nothing Changed in the War State?

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2020/11/23/what-if-they-called-election-and-nothing-changed-war-state

2 Likes

The stock market told us everything we needed to know. When Biden secured the nomination there was a “not Bernie” bounce in all three major indices. War is good for business as it has always been. Helluva world we live in.

4 Likes

Excellent points. Good catch with Biden’s finale in his speeches: May God protect our troops.

a) this is a secular republic (at least in paper), God has no place in it
b) protect the troops from whom? from what? from the people and the sovrain countries that the troops are occupying? best writing on this ever, is Mark Twain’s “The war prayer.”
c) Jill Biden, in her twitter account, is first a “military mum”…and one of her books has some related title…

How could we not use the F…ism word in these contexts and reserve it only for Trump’s street level shenanigans.

4 Likes

Have you noticed yet that all the drug prices have gone up, in many cases actually doubled!?!.

3 Likes

What a lonely voice, DJ. The government that I was born into has been overthrowing democratically elected governments all over the
world all my life. I never voted for that. They were doing this stuff before I was born.

They seeded defense contractors in every congressional district a very long time ago, so that everyone would have an interest in feeding the pork machine, even before the invention of astroturf; you could call that “grass rooting” I suppose. Yes, helluva world, as noted above.

4 Likes

I agree with TMarx, what a lonely voice. My only hope is that you are wrong on most of your points, that we will see a more optimistic rollout over the next 6 months.

1 Like

$1.25 trillion / year = the military (war) budget – see the article at The Nation, magazine, May 7, 2019, by Hartung and Smithberger. More than half the world’s spending on arms and war is U.S. spending.

America’s Defense Budget Is Bigger Than You Think

Each year, Congress approves hundreds of billions of dollars for the US defense budget—but the real number exceeds $1 trillion. –

Let’s look at the federal budget, $4.5 trillion in 2019, $1 trillion to Social Security, and $1.25 to military. That’s half. Now add Medicare, Medicaid, social benefits, and regular government. The military has taken over - Biden is right in the middle pushing for more of the same.

2 Likes