Home | About | Donate

What It Will Take to Actually Fight Climate Change

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2019/09/11/what-it-will-take-actually-fight-climate-change

1 Like

Just a little handful of Ryan Cooper’s garbage:

There is just one problem: Neither premise is true. The science on tipping points is very unsettled

Unsettled? More like undefined. I’m starting to think the lack of specifics here is intentional, so that the argument can persist well past… the closing curtains. Franzen, as well, invokes the scientific consensus about when “we’ll pass this point of no return.”

Excuse me? Can we close the books a moment, step outside, and take a look at 2019’s Arctic, in which the icecap is manifestly dying, as we speak? Among Earth’s most threatened vital organs, the most immediate are the icecap, Greenland, and Antarctica. But the icecap is now so frayed by bottom-melt from a warmer ocean, there’s no possibility of keeping it around. Going soon.

What in the name of Jehosephat are these pseudoscholars talking about? It makes me want to scream.

4 Likes

It is absolutely necessary to understand that we MUST break through the stasis squeeze by the financial sector. It is lying, stealing and manipulating…because that is all it knows.

Keiser report takes a look at the cult mind set of the ongoing “financial valdalism”.

2 Likes

What it’ll take to fight climate chaos is simple.

Mass human death.
Refugees by hundreds of millions.
Wars over water.

And even then there’s no guarantee.

4 Likes

Tipping points are predictions. Actual events will almost certainly play out differently. Your approach just leads to paralysis – doing nothing.

All is not necessarily lost.

2 Likes

My approach is just truthful, and exclusive of delusions, especially common delusions. If your reaction to truth is paralysis, that’s your own mental illness, not mine.

Please hear me, friend: We do not get to choose which world to live in. We’re stuck here. For my part, I think there might be enough grownups remaining, here and there, to deal with it compassionately, intelligently, and honestly. But I don’t have much confidence in these two authors, or in you.

Consider Earth. She’s making up her own mind right now, while (believe it or don’t) we’re cutting the most vital weather-observation systems to the bone. Insitutional, willful blindness. Another feature of cultural rot reaching everywhere, consuming everything.

3 Likes

I stand by my prediction that we will ‘Nuke’ Mother Nature to try to save our collective sorry a$$es.

The idea that it’s “too expensive” to successfully combat climate change (and the other environmental ills that threaten us) is bullshit. We haven’t even begun to try. Meanwhile we in the US are pouring close to a trillion dollars a year down the Pentagon bunghole and corporations are making $ hand over fist.

The reality is that the people who own and operate society don’t want to spend what it takes to fix the problems even if doing nothing means that their own grandchildren will live in hell.

As Mr. Hightower says in another of today’s CD articles, the plutocrats can’t be trusted. I say it’s time to dethrone them.

3 Likes

Mass human deaths just occurred in the Bahamas: by Paul Beckwith’s review of the misleading and sketchy reporting over 40,000 people died during hurricane Dorian. The response has been silence!

If one goes to “News Floods and Flooding”, there is a headline deserving flood every day now. Silence.

Over a thousand undocumented farm-workers are now dying every year from heat exhaustion in Texas and California. Silence.

The news handling of the now daily deadly extreme climate events is silence.

It keeps everyone quiet and full of hopium.

Your Dorian death count figure is dubious. You’re talking about 10% of the population. Nope.

And by mass death, I mean a million people. I mean even more than that.

1 Like

We agree on that. Where we disagree is on what “it” is. I say I don’t know what “it” is. This leaves open the possibility for action to make a difference. You seem to insist that “it” is already determined to be doom, hence the paralysis.

I wonder if those who believe overpopulation to be one of the main factors of climate change would actually welcome this. In either case what you are saying will come to pass. It is more of a question on how total and fast the collapse will be. Industrial civilization as we know it now is going to come to an end this century. The question is will there be any civilization left after it.

2 Likes

Why the hell would “doom” mean paralysis? That’s a mental illness, not a valid assumption. Let me spell it out one more time, on the off chance your rock-solid fixation on “paralysis” can be penetrated. If you knew for sure you couldn’t survive, but your efforts could help preserve what’s left of Life on Earth, do you mean to tell me you’d certainly turn into a useless, frozen stump?

Have you sought a cure for this condition of your pathetic person? It’s not necessary to cower like that: “If reality is too awful, I can’t stand, I can’t help. I’m afraid I don’t have the strength.”

1 Like

It’s not my estimate of the deaths in the Bahamas, it is Paul Beckwith’s estimate. Pleasde watch his video and respond to it.

Technoutopian, feckless lies = this article.
What it will REALLY take to fight climate change:

• Dismantle petroindustrial grid
  • Free, safe, legal contraceptives, abortions, vasectomies worldwide
  • Dismantle consumer capitalism
  • Corporate death penalty for biosphere-destroying corporations
  • People only use fossil fuels when they absolutely have to. No more jet skis, leaf blowers, weed whackers, ORVs, monster trucks, NASCAR, cruise ships and other polluting toys.
1 Like

The science of positive feedback loops is understood well enough to know that we’re all set, on the current path, for a massive drop in worldwide food production.

A “tipping point” is when you throw the lit cigarette butt on the ground and the cigarette is touching a dry dead leaf. The size of the forest fire is determined by how quickly the firefighters respond, the size of the response and weather factors. Sometimes only an acre burns, and sometimes a town or two burns up, so response is critical.

In the case of climate change, the Arctic is already melting down and bubbling up lots of methane. That particular tipping point is old hat now. We’re in planet-wide fire response (or lack thereof) mode now, and both promptness and the size of the response are going to make a huge difference. I’ve seen a Sunrise Movement shirt that says “12 years” and I want to respond, “I wish”.

As for novelist Jonathan Frantzen’s sense that we’re doomed, well, art works in the realm of the possible. I can’t say for sure that he’s wrong. However, as an inventor I recommend that we move tail. We should respond directly to the Arctic meltdown and to other tipping points, we need to get our worldwide agricultural carbon sequestration act down ASAP, we need to flip the Amazon savanna back into rain forest, we need extinction prevention zoos and we need to displace approximately 100% of the worldwide fossil fuel industry, at a minimum.

1 Like

Doom means paralysis because if you don’t think anything can be done to prevent catastrophe then you don’t do anything to prevent it.

We’re all mortal. None of us will survive long term.

I’m doing what I can (yes, I could do more and I work on that every day). I don’t participate in the consumer economy any more than absolutely necessary (I voluntarily got rid of my last car in 1995) and I support politicians who pledge to work towards a solution. I’ve been arrested demonstrating against the Keystone XL pipeline. I do this for future generations.

What are you doing – other than telling people online that we’re screwed and nothing we can do will prevent that?

Was that really fucking necessary?

It is necessary to call out cowardice when it shows its ugly face, as when thick-headed lunks insist, over and over and over, practically everywhere, that we can’t be too truthful about bad news – that could lead to paralysis. I have never suffered from this weird syndrome everyone’s terrified of. I am not an oppossum.

Marsupials amongst us are hazardous for children and other living things.

Are cowards due some measure of civility, or is it more constructive to confront them? I don’t know. I experiment with different approaches. I seldom give up on anyone. Your paralysisphobia is diagnosable, friend. It makes no sense, because it will not serve you or anyone else in our collective struggle to survive.

Predictions aren’t news. They haven’t happened yet and probably won’t occur exactly as predicted. Tipping points are a theoretical construct that can be used to make predictions. They aren’t news.

Predictions can be useful if they motivate action to ward of the worst. They don’t seem to have motivated you to do anything but spread doom all over the internet.

This is no prediction. It’s ice next to the North Pole, today, when refreezing is supposed to getting underway. Scant mention of it, though. Evidently many (especially M$MBS) prefer to look away.

So long as our perceptions are governed by vain speculations about how others might perceive our perceptions, there can be no honesty, compassion, or effective action. The honest inquirer is compelled to start with what is, not “How am I going to gild the lilly?” That’s a liar’s question.