Home | About | Donate

What Makes a Poison?

What Makes a Poison?

Genna Reed

The chemicals that we’re exposed to in our daily lives are often approved by the government under the assumption that they’re safe in small doses, even over a long period of time. For years, regulators relied on the old adage “the dose makes the poison” to try to explain their logic. While that might have appeared true for certain chemicals for many years, we now live in a world where exposure to a large variety of chemicals is unavoidable and it’s finally becoming clear that we can’t evaluate these chemicals in isolation.

Human and animal life are just so much collateral damage to the profit-is-all warrior mindset of today's corporate overloads, those who dominate in agriculture and everything else.

They ARE poisoning us but relying on both a community of (chemical) trespass and the quaint "presumption of innocence" to bypass accountability.

Meanwhile, "finding a cure" and/or "the fight against Cancer" constitute multi-billion dollar institutionalized medical models... and while those suffering the biological blowback of these chemical disasters must pay phenomenal sums to medical interventionists or Big Insurance for help, those who DID THE HARM continue to use their bloated profits to purchase more politicians to do not just their bidding, but also to enshrine into law their lethal and undemocratic practices.

...And they call THIS progress!

It sucks to be in the know, now doesn't it.

It's one of the chief purposes of existence.

It's not bad enough that corporations are trying to poison us all. As I write from my wireless connection, I just read that plants die if placed next to a modem.

Wi-fi and radio waves are everywhere. More and more devices emit such signals.

I know someone that still uses wire connections.

"We swim in an electromagnetic ocean, are made of electromagnetic waves."

Was ist ein Gift? "Alle Ding' sind Gift, und nichts ohn' Gift; allein die Dosis macht, daß ein Ding kein Gift ist." -- Paracelsus
What is a poison? "All things are poison and nothing is without poison, only the dose makes that a thing is not a poison."

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

All too true. Anyone have an Action Plan for changing it, or any of the problems now reaching the acute stage? Pollsters tell us that a very large percentage of the people of the western industrialized nation states agree that conditions are bad and worsening, but the empowered political and institutional deciders stay bought and the systemic damage goes on and on.

Dow and Monsanto must just love you!

I like your post until you get to the "we just need to imagine..." as if the same corporations that just finished twisting the arms of Congress and Senate to pass odious locked-in treaties that disallow ANY public resistance to what the corporations will be doing, serving, and exploiting are going to allow in what WE imagine. The rest of the fantasy is nice.

Jeez, I sleep next to my modem, though it is not wireless. I won't use a wireless device at home, because of risk uncertainties. I've never had a mobile phone, I just use a land line at home and work. My utility company installed a wireless device on my house, against my will, for their convenience in reading my meter.

This statement is questionable: “because each of these chemicals disrupts different pathways and mechanisms in people, the authors hypothesized that interactions between different chemicals and pathways could elevate the risk of cancer.”

We would be more concerned if they shared the same toxicological endpoint because then the effect would be more likely cumulative.

When worrying about the carcinogenic effects of parts per million of a pesticide like glyphosate, keep in mind that even if every molecule you ingested caused a mutation, it wouldn’t be a rounding error on the background rate.

It is conservatively estimated that reactive oxygen species generated by normal cell metabolism cause ~ 20,000 mutations per cell per day. In a normal human being of 10.9 trillion somatic cells with nucleus, this is 218 quadrillion mutations incurred as a direct result of eating food and breathing oxygen. Of course the repair rate is almost perfect. But at that large number “almost” means that aging and cancer are inevitable over a long time (as the defensive mechanisms suffer tiny impairments the error rate will grow in kind).

The biggest risk factors for cancer are smoking, drinking and obesity. If pesticides are adding to that risk, it’s apparently within a range of background noise.

Read Heinlein's Waldo if you haven't already.

What an amazing man he was.

Paracelsus was a smart man, for his time and place. But we've probably gone a bit further since then.

and a wicked humor, I think he'd have had a good laugh about the Wifi comments.

Mostly backwards.