Home | About | Donate

What New Hampshire Tells Us

What New Hampshire Tells Us

Robert Reich

You will hear pundits analyze the New Hampshire primaries and conclude that the political “extremes” are now gaining in American politics – that the Democrats have moved to the left and the Republicans have moved to the right, and the “center” will not hold.

Organized people can sometimes overcome organized money. The Wobbly slogan comes to mind: "Educate, Agitate, Organize."

I read somewhere that it was 85% at or near poverty level. (Maybe with debt figured in?)

How did Hillary get less than 40 percent of the vote but the majority of the delegates? Super Delegates! The fix is in.

I think there's a very high percentage of citizens who are 3 paychecks away from homelessness or something along those lines. In other words, the savings of most Americans is minimal.

Ted Cruz, Scott Walker, and the right wing cabal will insist that the individual is at fault for poor planning or life habits. But the reality, of course, is the reduction of wages across the board coupled with increases in all of life's genuine necessities (minus gasoline, at the moment, which has gone down).

With less than 4% of Democratic Party State delegate apportionment completed thus far, I think it's a bit premature to judge any success or failure of any "anti-establishment ground forces." By the end of March, we'll see 60%. Let's talk ground forces then.

Reich's analysis cheerleading also ignores the establishment forces currently in line with Clinton. The superdelegate count is 45 to 1 against Sanders thus far. (The nomination requires majorities in both delegate categories.) The Congressional Black Caucus is poised to endorse Clinton. Clinton has 39 current Senators in her pocket. Bernie has none. Clinton has 157 current Representatives in her pocket. Sanders has none. Clinton has a $45 million dollar strong SuperPAC that she hasn't even unpacked yet. Sanders? Yeah. Clinton has 43 current and former State governors in her pocket. Sanders has Jesse Ventura.

It appears Sanders' campaign is inspiring young and new voters to participate in the caucus and primary processes. That's a good thing. It also appears he's scaring the shit out of the Clinton Camp. That's also a good thing. But we're a looong way from midsummer in Philly.

If the superdelegates and insiders force a Hillary nomination against the people's vote, they'll be committing suicide in the general election. The last time the party was that stupid was 1968, and it lost. Indeed, that year marked the beginning of the end for Democratic Party dominance in government ...

List of Democratic Party Superdelegates 2016

What a lousy system. I was just looking at how that super delegate thing worked and it looks very much like an apparatus to ensure the establishment is guaranteed undue influence when selecting the next Presidential Candidate.

What "the people's vote" turns out to be...there will be no actual trend visible until the end of March...doesn't determine the nominee. Delegates do that. Democratic Party delegates are not legally bound by caucus or primary preferences. Superdelegates control convention politics, and they represent Democratic Party establishment.

Bernie's got a long row to hoe to get to the nomination.

That's what we call "representative democracy."

You're ignoring my point. IF the superdelegates buck the people, they'll commit suicide, as in 1968, which I clearly remember. It doesn't work ...

I suspect the Black Caucus may think twice about endorsing Hillary right now too ...

I have a bumper sticker that says, "When millions of people stand up and fight, they win. Bernie Sanders 2106." (or pretty close to that) I love it. and i have Feel the Bern. Get quite a few comments (positive).

Fine, but watch the videos of the street action in Chicago in 1968 first, and don't make the same mistakes they made. They exposed the corrupt Democratic and Chicago establishment completely, but lost the war that round. Street demonstrations should be nonviolent, and well coordinated, and prepared for a "police riot" as occurred in Chicago.

I still remember the old Phil Ochs song about where were you in 1968 when Chicago went down. The last line was, "I was in Detroit", actually probably an indictment of those that didn't show up ...

I have posted this article link before but given this conversation and in case any have not seen it........

http://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-blog/presidential-campaign/10-reasons-delegates-will-choose-bernie-sanders-over-hillary-clinton

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

"Pledged" isn't quite correct. Superdelegates are officially uncommitted until the convention. They've publicly endorsed Clinton 45 to 1 so far, but those minds could, theoretically, change at any time. A huge count...I mean yooge...of regular delegates strongly committed to Sanders could make that possible. But it would have to be YOOGE!

It's a completely different system now. After Humphrey's nomination, (despite having won no primaries or caucuses), the rules were changed. (Humphrey lost the general by a pubic hair. Remember?)

In 1984 the number of superdelegates was expanded, among other things, to secure Party establishment control over the convention in order to protect mainstream candidates from "insurgents" like Gary Hart and Jesse Jackson.

In 1988, the rules were amended again. The number of superdelegates was expanded again, among other things, to reinforce Party establishment control over the convention.

In 1992, the superdelegate count was expanded again. Why?

There's really no valid contemporary comparison to the Democratic convention nomination process back in 1968.

If the Party vanguard feels the need to flex some muscle to get Clinton the nomination, (which I doubt they'll have to do...Bernie is a team player, after all), all they'll have to do is play the Electability Card and point to whatever is wearing the GOP colors after that convention. (Donald Trump is a dream come true for Democratic Party strategists. Nobody...not even Bernie...will turn out Democratic party electorate like The Donald.)

And I don't know what people you're saying got bucked. The Democratic Party was badly split long before the 1968 convention. Johnson and his machine were absent. Kennedy got murdered. The anti-war movement was inspiring Party moderates in the electorate to Nixon's law and order message. Enter McCarthy, who split the vote even more. And don't forget Wallace, who was siphoning off labor votes deep into northern territory.