Home | About | Donate

What President Obama Didn’t Hear or Smell at El Reno

What President Obama Didn’t Hear or Smell at El Reno

Carl Takei

From several years of touring prisons, I’ve learned they all have a distinctive and oddly similar smell: sweat, human misery, and grime — sometimes overlain, but never hidden, by the acrid odors of chlorine and other cleaning products.

The sounds give you a sense of the different parts of the institution. Dorm-style general population units are a constant murmur of activity, with TV programs blending into the sound of people talking, playing cards, microwaving overpriced cups of noodles—anything to pass the idle hours, days, months, and years in custody that lay before them.

Like a schooled attorney, whenever I come across criminal activity I look for pattern, motive, and opportunity.

This intriguing opening sentence has its counterparts:

"From several years of touring prisons, I’ve learned they all have a distinctive and oddly similar smell: sweat, human misery, and grime — sometimes overlain, but never hidden, by the acrid odors of chlorine and other cleaning products."

The few that spring to mind--to establish pattern--are:

1. That an entire well-funded PR field has sprung up to GREEN WASH toxic products. A cheery veneer is placed over the agony of what these products actually do to persons, places, and living beings.

2. The emphasis made on order, cleanliness, and neat uniforms inside military operations. These routines are also veneers placed over the obscenity of killing, i.e. mass murder: the ostensible purpose of a military machine that answers to a corporatized (i.e. fascist, and anti-life) state.

3. The pretty boxes used to sell "foods" that are now full of toxic chemical additives, oils that make human guts leak, & gen-tech monstrosities that go unlabeled

Then, too, there's the repackaging of things as odious as torture... into "enhanced interrogation," and wars of aggression into "spreading Democracy," and turning the U.S. into a Stasi state as "fighting terrorism," and "free trade" which leaves no civilian free of corporate plunder... and the list goes on.

Add in the marketing of things like war (Andrew Card) and Presidents (the Obama team previously winning the Advertising of the Year Award), etc.

Every Truth is now under deliberately sanitized layers of cover!

OBAMA’S PRISON VISIT IS AN EMPTY GESTURE

title of article from the intercept on the prison visit

article begins with two people who have gone in different directions

Ten years ago, Barack Obama visited Detroit and delivered a speech to the city’s NAACP branch, which was celebrating its 50th annual “Fight for Freedom” dinner. He was introduced by the city’s then-popular Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick. While Obama went on to become president, Kilpatrick’s career ended after he was convicted of multiple corruption charges. And in October 2013, the former mayor was sentenced to 28 years in federal prison.

On Thursday Barack Obama became the first sitting president to visit an American prison — the same prison where Kilpatrick now sits. The highly scripted visit allowed Obama to meet with prison officials, with six non-violent drug offenders, and to tour a cell. In remarks afterwards, Obama repeated his call for reforms while stressing he had no tolerance for violent criminals

University of Pennsylvania professor Marie Gottschalk wrote about the shortsightedness of reforms like Obama’s in her recent book Caught: The Prison State and the Lockdown of American Politics. “But the limited sentencing reforms enacted so far,” Gottschalk wrote, “have been directed almost exclusively at the non, non, nons — that is, the nonserious, nonviolent, non-sex-related offenders.”

Opponents of the carceral state, like Gottschalk, argue that any serious attempt to dismantle it has to go beyond non-violent drug offenders like those whose sentences Obama commuted. Even if all of those people were released from prison, America’s incarceration rate would still be high. Instead, some violent offenders, those that spark the most outrage on television news, will also have to be released. The same is true for sex offenders who, over the last twenty years, have seen their rates of conviction and incarceration skyrocket. According to Caught, “convictions for sex offenses increased by 400 percent between 1993 and 2000.” And between 2000 and 2010, “incarceration rates for sex offenses continued to climb steadily,” while dropping or stabilizing for robbery, assault and drug crimes, among others.

here is link to intercept article