Home | About | Donate

'What Real Action to Stop Gun Violence Looks Like': New Zealand PM Announces Ban on Assault Rifles After Christchurch Massacre

'What Real Action to Stop Gun Violence Looks Like': New Zealand PM Announces Ban on Assault Rifles After Christchurch Massacre

Jake Johnson, staff writer

Just six days after a white supremacist gunman killed 50 people and injured dozens more at two mosques in the city of Christchurch, New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern announced Thursday that the country will ban all military-style semi-automatic weapons, assault rifles, and high-capacity magazines.

2 Likes

So, this is what it looks like when a government cares for its people.

7 Likes

Amazing what can be done without a f@#$ing Second Amendment and industry-run NRA, huh?

6 Likes

I would love to go to New Zealand and never come back to the political insanity that rules the USA.

2 Likes

“If we want to make sure globally that we are a safe and tolerant and inclusive world, we cannot think about this in terms of boundaries,”

Indeed, we are all on the same planet together. Due to tectonic plate shifts, “national boundaries” are arbitrary and nature doesn’t care where humans imagine those boundaries to be.

4 Likes

And when said government is run by adults.

4 Likes

I didn’t read the article. The headline is sensational and misleading. The ban is for ALL semi-automatic guns, including handguns, shotguns and rifles of all types.

I’ve been wondering lately about CD’s veracity in general. It’s why I do not donate.

1 Like

This is real Action that is done by Non Corrupt Govt, with the key word “Immediarley!” So they bypassed the red tape that we have and don’t have to wait years for this decision to take place. Wow!

3 Likes

I’m all in favour of the banning of assault weapons, whatever they are, but I object to any attempt to stifle freedom of speech to critcise Islam or any other religion, which could easily be smuggled in under the blanket of suppressing ‘anti-Islamic rhetoric.’ Who decides what that is?

3 Likes

It’s not just a difference in governments that explains why New Zealand can act so quickly but this country can’t. It’s also very much a matter of differences in cultures. Our gun culture in this country defines personal freedom and patriotism in terms of being able to own any kind of weapon with no interference from the government, all based on an inflated, inaccurate and fanciful interpretation of the Second. Even in the very unlikely event that this country passed a similar nationwide ban, it would not be enforced uniformly across the country. Witness what is happening in Washington state with law enforcement in rural, conservative areas vowing not to enforce Washington’s newly passed gun legislation. Two different countries, two different cultures.

1 Like

I abhor violence and have a general disdain for the military. I think it’s great for New Zealand that they have true leadership. We here in the United States do not, we have a wanna be fascist dictator, whom has a violent base. Just last weekend our orange overlord threatened the entire “left” with the cops, military and bikers for trump. Racist Rep Steve King also tweeted about a future civil war and how their side has all the guns… I know what happened in New Zealand was awful… I trust their government a bit more than my own and would move there in a heart beat… would gladly give up my 2nd amendment rights to live there… but again, New Zealand isn’t being run by fascists.

4 Likes

I’ve no illusions of stopping the government from sliding into overt fascism… it’s the crazy violent right-wing extremists that freak me out… here they’re all very much armed. This makes me feel very uncomfortable with sane decent people giving up the means of self defense.

Just wondering what your constant call to action consists of if you are in favor of gun controls and also claim that protests do nothing. Just curious what the options are.

Time for talking is over. If the Democratic Party Establishment doesn’t give the Republican Party and the gun industry an ultimatum as is warranted here, it’s time for the people to declare a State of Emergency in Washington DC.

If our s/elected officials will not perform for the people, We must call upon the Masses to remove them all.

This nation must purge the corrupt and the lawless.

Same question I have for Guitman. Specify options so I know how to pack.

2 Likes

klaatu barada nikto

1 Like

Believe me…their side doesn’t have all the guns.
Moot point anyway. Even a poorly trained Marine detachment could take all those right wing douche bags out in about 15 minutes.

3 Likes

Doode a shit ton of those fools are ex and current military… dream on.

1 Like

I hope and pray you’re right. Sorry to be so abrasive in my response… I can be a grumpy bastard when it’s coffee time.

And even more broadly, the US association of guns with “freedom” comes from its culture of psychopathological self-absorbed individualist worldview. Trump is a classical, even if a bit extreme, example of this worldview.

And, this psychopathic individualism seems to be rooted in the Ulster-Scot racist settler-Calvinism of its dominant white Protestant culture that is dominant in the US interior outside of the more culturally diverse cities.