Home | About | Donate

What Role Were you Born to Play in Social Change?

What Role Were you Born to Play in Social Change?

George Lakey

Bill Moyer was a street-wise, working class white boy from rowhouse Philadelphia, who — in the turbulence of the 1960s — went to Chicago to work for an anti-racist housing campaign. He wound up joining Martin Luther King Jr.’s national staff as an organizer. I played tag football more than once with Moyer, catching his grin as he mercilessly overwhelmed his opponents through daring and smarts. He might have been the most joyfully aggressive Quaker I’ve known.

We at repeace like to create new roles, because the roles you described are cliches we can't identify with. The very misnomer of war&peace implying that peace is the absence of fear is part of the problem activism is so emasculated and inefficient. The true peace movement is social change because the higher purpose of social change is to solve social and environmental "conflicts". But the shift the world needs is very much stuck in this fallacy of war and peace and the fact that no matter what an activists wishes to change, he's not doing the driving, but some institution does or some among the left over authors who carry all the power of their grievances, mostly to sell their own books, we would add.

Great article. The one thing that bothers me about organizing however is that we are giving the enemy a target.
Direct Democracy