Home | About | Donate

What the 'Fossil Fuel Economy Looks Like': Demands for Climate Justice After Explosion Rocks Philly Oil Refinery

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/06/21/what-fossil-fuel-economy-looks-demands-climate-justice-after-explosion-rocks-philly

1 Like

The one to really watch out for is a liquid natural gas explosion. The world’s first LNG tank farm was in Cleveland, and in 1944 during the U.S. invasion of the Phillippines it went off in a two kiloton explosion. It destroyed a square mile of Cleveland – factories, homes, businesses – and left 10,000 people without homes. Manhole covers were shot several miles away through the air.

It was extreme luck that caused only over 100 people to die. The first small explosions caused many local homeowners to flee in terror, and the big bomb hit before schools let out.

Since then the world has seen a few other LNG explosions, but often the LNG facilities have been sited well away from populated areas. Not so in some American cities.

No engineer with any sense of pride or shame would ever store a nuclear bomb in the heart of a crowded city where it might go off. This leaves engineers with no sense of pride or shame. If you happen to be living near one of these bombs, close it down or it might close you down.

8 Likes

Hey! This is been going on for Decades and Now it’s an Emergency when the timeline is too late? Every time I read any complaints against the damage the Fossil Fuel Industry has or is causing, consider me very pissed off!

9 Likes

It’s better to be “pissed off” than “pissed on,” Guitman.

And the decline in air quality attributable to the Fossil Fuel industry, as well as water contamination from the industry as well indicates these corporations are basically relieving their wastes on all of us.

4 Likes

Apparently that plant makes jet fuel. Jet fuel still has TEL (tetra-ethyl-lead) in it. They could have spread a very dangerous form of lead all over the region.

6 Likes

Here in Richmond, CA, a series of spectacular toxic plumes from the local Chevron plant resulted in Chevron eventually losing total control of city government. People living near the plant are still coping with the continual airborne health hazards. There’s a cluster of asthma and kidney disease around here. Tough on kids.

8 Likes

“I believe that there is room for improvement, both in the operation of the refinery in light of two fires in as many weeks, and in the communication to residents,” Philadelphia Mayor Jim Kenney said in a statement Friday.

OMG how lame! What an understatement by Phila. Mayor.

5 Likes

We need to offer the oil gods more sacrificial tax subsidies and pray for their forgiveness. Let’s all promise to burn 10 gallons a day. Maybe then they will have mercy on us.

1 Like

Pony… We Are getting pissed on with their own waste… as you said…

2 Likes

Nothing, nada, will be done until we reign in the corporate own media. It is not just about fossil fuels however important that is, it is about justice for we the people, it is about our private prisons, inequality, racism, women rights, education, war mongering budgets, AI and we can no longer call facebook, twitter and other platform social media they are oversized monopolies as is Amazon and Google.

The corporate media including NPR does not seriously address these problems. Sometimes they are hardly mentioned and certainly not the problem of our current environment.
I appreciate Common Dreams and other sites where I get more of the real news but we 99% cannot afford to maintain these sites or Congress and Presidential Elections. We need to get the money out of politics but the rich have a iron hand on the levers of government who could do something about these problems.

2 Likes

Of the 3 basic EV drivetrains - all-battery BEV, hydrogen Fuel Cell FCEV, plug-in hybrid PHEV - which offers the most potential to reduce fuel/energy consumption, CO2, pollutants and traffic? The correct answer: Plug-in hybrid. PHEVs offer the most potential to direct development whereby more trips become possible without having to drive. PHEVs are the ideal match to rooftop photovoltaic arrays and neighborhood mini-grids. PHEVs are especially applicable to heavy trucks and utility vehicles. A basic rule of thumb goes like this: We can devote battery and charge resources to 1 BEV freight truck with a 550kwh battery pack, 6 Tesla BEV sport sedans with 85kwh packs, or 110 PHEV Prius/Ford plug-in hybrid rated at 100-200mpg (the shorter the distance driven, the higher the effective mileage) with 5kwh battery packs matched to smaller, simpler rooftop solar arrays. When the 5kwh PHEV battery pack needs replacing at 100,000 miles, its use can be extended for years as stationary low-power household use; not so easy to do with giant battery pack of the Tesla.

do you think it will ‘get done’ in the 2 years or so that we have left on Planet Earth?

don’t these people want to drive and fly? That can’t be done at this point without refineries. That we all want them somewhere else is the way things are, but moving the refinery is unlikely. Best to walk more, drive, fly less.

Who cares if a few people and buildings blow up? We’re the leading oil exporter in the world, right? Money always Trumps human life.

1 Like

Meanwhile, electric vehicles continue the monstrosity trend. I heard that GM is planning an electric Hummer. The general expectation seems to be that there will be so much alternative energy available, we can get to zero carbon if we make everything plug-in. Dream on.

Unfortunately, the dream of carbon-neutral personal transportation leads to the nightmare of charcoal forests and sterile oceans. At some point, perhaps, humans might come to understand that Life itself is more important than your latte cupholder.

Public transportation is the only way, folks. Either get used to commuting in the company of others, or continue poisoning your children.

1 Like

I’ve been an advocate for light rail, better buses and transit systems since the early 1990’s, so I’m with you on that. Sadly, the standard 40’ municipal bus does not convert very well to BEV nor PHEV. Transit agencies want us to believe cheap conversions at twice the price ($800k vs $400k) is money wisely invested. Hah! At best, they’re only good for Express and BRT (Bus Rapid Transit) with higher speeds, least stops and sharp turns. The household EV, (especially PHEVs), offer the means to more closely monitor and reduce energy consumption for driving and household use. In an emergency grid failure, the household EV will keep the lights on, food cool, communication devises working. PHEVs are also more portable than BEVs. A large battery BEV if not matched to a large rooftop solar array, is dependent upon a regional utility grid. The Silicon Valley jet set want everyone to believe self-driving cars is the way of the future. That bold lie should become the basis of a class action lawsuit:
The People vs Jeff Bezos.

1 Like

Nothing new for Pennsylvania. In the early 60s, when I was a young 'un, the Quaker State Refinery in Emlenton, PA, was essentially demolished by numerous explosions. In 1995, an explosion and fire ripped through the Pennzoil refinery in Rouseville, PA.

The whole industry was started in Titusville, PA when, on August 28, 1859, Edwin Drake struck oil at the first oil well. School kiddies like me used to be taken on field trips to the Drake Museum. Growing up in Northwest PA, it was not unusual for farmers to make their money from an oil pump running on their land not from cultivation. When people think oil, they think of Texas or Oklahoma, but PA has a huge “seneca oil” industry.

1 Like

…a hell…of a lot leas…