Home | About | Donate

What the Trump Victory Means for Standing Rock

What the Trump Victory Means for Standing Rock

Jenni Monet

Less than 12 hours after Donald Trump walked onto a New York City stage as the newly elected president, the stock price for Energy Transfer Equity shot up 15 percent. Among that company’s holdings is Energy Transfer Partners, operator of the controversial Dakota Access pipeline. Protesters near the Standing Rock Sioux Reservation continue to fight completion of the $3.8 billion project. But the jump in share price indicates an immediate pro-energy confidence in Trump.

And that confidence is not unfounded.

“In this time of uncertainty, President Obama still has the power to give our children hope,” said Standing Rock Sioux Tribal Chairman Dave Archambault II.

What about it, President Obama? Is the plight of the water protectors not dire enough to rouse you from milquetoast mode to help them?

Why don't you just pretend that they're whistleblowers? You know how you love to go after them.

Instead, in your Now This interview, you went as mealy-mouthed as is humanly possible, while offering nothing. Always the fancy talker. More "hope" and "change," right?

What a "legacy!"

Yes, President Stonewall Jackson, AKA "The Indian Killer".....
Fk. you Rudy Giuliani!

Traitors like the mealy-mouthed Obama are deserving of our enmity.

Hey, dude! How yah doin'? Did you get my email about the honey? It is delicious, BTW!!

"Wednesday, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers once again called on the company to stop construction and leave the area.": If they had a spine they would join the indigenes at Standing Rock to stop this pipeline.

Yes I did and apologize for not answering-
Had A couple of deaths in the family and couldn't even go to Alaska for their funerals because my wife has been laid up-
Anyhow, good to hear from you, glad you liked the honey and hope all is well!

"According to his Public Financial Disclosure Report, Trump disclosed
between $500,000 and $1 million in investments in ETP. He also disclosed
$50,000 to $100,000 in investments in Phillips 66, which would own
one-quarter of the Dakota Access pipeline once complete."

Is there not a rule that the POTUS must get rid of these interferences to his job description??

I agree. He dithered each time, and has done little to support any environmental initiative,

Obama only plays the milquetoast role. In fact he is ideologically with the oil industry just as he is with Wall Street, the Neocons and Neoliberals.

If I'm not mistaken, there is an even more ominous historical echo in the Jackson reference. Wasn't he the one who said, "Chief Justice Marshall (?) has his ruling, now let him enforce ity" meaning the Supreme Court said what he wanted to do was illegal--I think it meant the Indian removal--and he just ignored it and got away with it. Trump is obviously inclined to the same attitude, may create a crisis by insisting on policies that SCOTUS or international law says are illegal.

The election results mean more asthma, more lead and benzine in the water, more sulfur dioxide, more cancer, intensifying drought and floods, more racism. The new president will not pretend to care and the children will understand that the regime does not care about them. My hope lies in the heart of every child that will look up at the soon-to-be posted portrait of President Trump on his or her classroom wall and vow "never again."

On this, as on many other issues, it's the same old, same old. Obama and Hillary have shown absolutely no interest in stopping the Dakota Access Pipeline (DAPL) and haven't lifted a finger to protect the water protectors at Standing Rock from the aggressive militarized "police" that keep attacking these nonviolent, unarmed people.

Many of us saw the election as a choice between someone who didn't pretend to care and someone who did pretend to care.

You're right about that. I guess it's the role-playing that annoys me so much. He's so into the gravitas of the office, and being so eloquent. And it's all so fake.

Apparently I'm suffering from fake-fatigue...

"The Sioux tribe is facing a pro-oil president-elect with personal investments riding on the completion of the Dakota Access pipeline."

What is different about the presidents they have been facing since Andrew Jackson?