Home | About | Donate

What Those Who Want Gun Control Can Learn From South Carolina

What Those Who Want Gun Control Can Learn From South Carolina

Walter Shapiro

Dawn came early to South Carolina on Thursday.

Shortly after midnight the lower house of the state legislature voted 94-to-20 to remove the Confederate battle flag from the statehouse grounds. The emotional turning point in the 13-hour debate came when Republican Jenny Horne, a descendent of Jefferson Davis, declared as she fought back tears, "I cannot believe that we do not have the heart in this body to do something meaningful such as take a symbol of hate off these grounds on Friday."

Which government are you referring to, dubet? Do you think that citizens keep guns to protect themselves from their local police or sheriff department? Or from the U.S. Army? Citizens are outgunned by all of those.

"But it reflects an attitude (which I personally share) of total incomprehension over the passionate attachment of many Americans to their guns." Here he is saying that he doesn't understand the country's love affair with guns. Then, he says "It is anguishing to witness the carnage from gun violence but to be powerless to do anything to limit it."

We all ought to be concerned about the social cost of the carnage; the cost of the medical care that victims receive. The widows and children of victims pay a terrible price. One thing that I have seen discussed is the contribution of alcohol to the problem. Frequently friends and neighbors are shot, because we drink with them.