Home | About | Donate

What Tim Kaine Actually Got Wrong About the Iran Nuclear Deal During the Veep Debate

What Tim Kaine Actually Got Wrong About the Iran Nuclear Deal During the Veep Debate

Ali Gharib

An exchange about Iran during this week's vice presidential debate is getting a lot of attention from mainstream media fact-checkers. The discussion about the Iran nuclear deal came as Virginia Democratic senator was listing the national security bona fides of his running mate, Hillary Clinton. “She worked a tough negotiation with nations around the world to eliminate the Iranian nuclear weapons program without firing a shot,” Tim Kaine boasted.

Thanks for that Mr. Gharib. I'd bet the Iranian leadership is still laughing about what infantile nonsense the American politicians and media routinely discuss as if it reflects reality. Weapons of mass destruction and babies thrown out of incubators, Oh My!

Peace
Po

The Democrats and GOP need to push the voters' fear buttons as hard as possible. Using the tried and true cold war strategy of exaggerating threats from designated enemies is a key component of keeping the voters scared.

The "fact checkers, in all their wisdom" have been instructed not to reduce fear by questioning falsehoods, while Kaine has been instructed to not let facts get in the way of any story crafted to scare voters.

Vote Green and deprive Wall Street's military industrial complex of the added revenue a restarted cold war with Russia will bring along with all the other occupations and wars planned by the next POTUS regime.

There's an old saying that wars sometimes start because politicians lie to journalists and then believe what they read in the papers. I agree with you about the scare factor but I suspect that a significant part of the political class and the faux journalists have actually indoctrinated themselves even though they made this stuff up in the first place. Our "movers and shakers" are not lit by a very bright bulb (just look at the neo-cons; they've been wrong about everything for decades).

Peace
Po

Corporations rely on the media they own and the politicians they own to execute their profit plans.

As Mark Twain said "Those who don't read newspapers are uninformed while those who do are misinformed".

Hopefully some, will remember what this, “event” is actually about and it’s true level of importance. This "scare", this "fear" this so important (and distracting) diplomatic endeavor, this shining triumph of Obamic legacy stuffing or what ever you want to call it; calls for a quote from the Bard..., or maybe several... since the "facts" are “not”! This has all been “Theater” and in reality has been, “Much Ado about Nothing”.

It was; as I told my friends when all the fuss started; “There is no there, there.” Iran does not now, nor have they ever had a nuclear weapons program…, not even under the Shah.

“But, why Uncle Mikey?

Oh, I didn’t even know you kids were listening. “Well, it’s simple kids. The Iranians are not stupid, they love their children and they do not want to all die in a nuclear conflagration!

“Why would that happen Uncle Mikey.”

Well kids, they know that even if they managed to build a nuclear bomb in secret, to use it, first they would have to test it and then they would have make a deliverable version and make a delivery system and it would take even more testing to make a thermonuclear bomb worth delivering. It would take years, decades even.

Well when they tested their first bomb, successfully or not, everyone would know! And the Israelis, who are as trigger happy as American cops and have over 200 deliverable modern thermonuclear weapons, would blow up Iran 10 years before they could make a deliverable bomb.

So, like I said, The Iranians who are not stupid, love their children and don’t want to die have no use for a nuclear weapons program because it would not protect them. They would in fact die because of it.

“Wow, Uncle Mikey, I see. But why did the Iranians go through all these negotiations if there was no there there?”

“Optics, m’boy, Optics.

“You’re funny when you do that W.C. Fields impression, Uncle Mikey, even without the bottle of Scotch. Optics, huh?”

“Yup, Optics. Play acting. Because the Israelis and the Wing Nuts couldn’t un-believe their own propaganda so Obama and whoever had to do some theater to stop a crazy Israeli attack…, over nothing. Eventually, the Iranians caught on and went along with the Bull Sh…, uh Bull hockey and acted out their own part.”

“But, Mr. Mikey, my Uncle, the Grumpy Republican in our family (my mom hates him) says the Iranians are crazy and are building a bomb in secret anyway to blow up Israel.”

OK, Ralph, your mom is way cool by the way. She doesn’t want the war that your Uncle and the Israelis want to start, and that’s what they are really trying to do. Well there was a real smart guy named George Orwell that was always saying smart things. He may have been a Prophet but don’t tell your Uncle…, Anyway George Orwell once said, “Every war when it comes, or before it comes, is represented not as a war but as an act of self-defense against a homicidal maniac.”

Anyway, these warmongers always try to demonize their enemy and set aside any idea any reasoning that he is not a homicidal maniac because they want every excuse they can get to make war on someone. OK, Ralph?

Yeah, I get it. If these mean guys wanted to make war on a fuzzy caterpillar they would say Fuzzy was like Jabba the Hutt. Right Mr. Mikey?

Right Ralph! Although, as bad as Jabba was, I’ll have to give him one thing, he really knew how to dress a woman…

What Mr. Mikey?

Oh, wait, never mind, I was thinking of a fashion designer, Jambeau d’Ut

Jabba the Hutt bad, fuzzy caterpillar good. Now you head on home before I get in trouble…END

So, it was all theater and all the world was a stage even if it was much ado about nothing. Too bad it is now in re-runs.

I think I’ll let the master magician manipulator Prospero finish this segment of the eternal conflict between the Calibans and the Posperos. “Iranian Nuclear Deal” – The Play

Prospero?

Prospero:
Our revels now are ended. These our actors,
As I foretold you, were all spirits, and
Are melted into air, into thin air:
And like the baseless fabric of this vision,
The cloud-capp'd tow'rs, the gorgeous palaces,
The solemn temples, the great globe itself,
Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve,
And, like this insubstantial pageant faded,
Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff
As dreams are made on; and our little life