Home | About | Donate

What Trump's Doing Is Crazy and Dangerous—and It Ain't Over Yet

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2020/12/11/what-trumps-doing-crazy-and-dangerous-and-it-aint-over-yet

2 Likes

The Atlantic article by Zeynep Tufekci is a worthy read.

2 Likes

Trump will never leave unless it’s toes up. He’s dug in for the long haul with over 70 million armed supporters and all the GOP members of all levels of government. We’re looking at Civil War 2.0, because I sure as hell will resist to my dying breath this coup. I protested in 2000, in 2003 and 2004 at the various illegal gambits of the GOP. And I will resist, as in joining a resistance movement, any Trump federal coup.
Not that Biden is any help. Watch the Dems scatter like scared rabbits instead of standing strong.

7 Likes

And keep in mind that many of his base have lost what minds they ever had, are armed to the hilt and are in a blood-rage. It’s a dangerous situation that should have been dealt with long ago.

8 Likes

America has been practicing the acts of war for so long, it was really only a matter of time before it turned on itself, once again.

The silence of any means of checks and balances, of an effort toward civil order in our society, from any quarter, as this madness plays out is beyond frightening.

These are the days shadowed by the ghosts of the mid-19th century here in the States and the 1930’s in Germany.

4 Likes

Thank you sir, I’ve been watching for an article like this.

What is customary or normative has no legal standing and ultimately no influence on a power-hungry group of resisters. Who would remove a defeated president from the WH if he disputes the election results and his allies stand by him? It could happen here.

After Bernard Gellman published his Atlantic article, he got airtime on NPR and other media outlets. With the next step in the election process happening in a few days, Mr Isaac’s essay should be picked-up by the media and distributed widely. An informed public is necessary but not sufficient to stop an “autocoup”. Trump and his supporters are crazy and dangerous, yes, but also determined true-believers. This is their “plan B”. Unthinkable; obviously not. Impossible; time will tell.

3 Likes

“And it is definitely not over.”

No, not for Trump and all of his accomplishes.

Not until Satan opens the gate to Hell and says, "I’ve been waiting for you Donald."

2 Likes

Ted Cruz has stated that he will oppose every Biden cabinet pick on the grounds that the election was fraudulent. None of Biden’s picks are likely to be confirmed, he will not appoint any judges. Biden is a 4 year lame duck.

Trump will be gone, but nothing will change, because this was always a Republican power grab, not a Trump one, and in four years (if they wait that long) Republicans will take over the government for good, Trump or no Trump. Everyone who said that "first we have to get rid of Trump and everything will change for the better is just incredibly, undeniably stupid.

What these people are doing now is just stating emphatically that “We are your government, regardless of who you think you chose. We have the power and we are taking over. Try to stop us.”

This is the result of the decades of voting “lesser evil.” This is the result of the “Third Way’” or “reaching across the aisle” or “pragmatic cooperation.”

The Supreme Court is now fully a part of this takeover party, and I will be surprised if they don’t just take the Texas case, and declare the presidential election null and void, while declaring that the downballot vote can stand, because where Republicans won, there could obviously be no fraud. Trump will remain president and Republicans will just disband the House and declare martial law.

If you think that’s harsh and reactionary, just look at what is actually happening right now in real time. Pretending to use the law, 17 states and hundreds of elected Republicans are saying that this legal election must be overturned for no reason other than they want power. They care nothing of real law, they will not respect any legal decision which goes against them, and eventually they will just say “Fuck it!”" and take the government and the military.

Can’t happen here? Just watch them.

3 Likes

As William Rivers Pitt over at Truthout said yesterday with different (and better) words, the game is not over until the Hail Mary pass is blocked, intercepted or falls short.

3 Likes

Of all the things I’ve lost, I miss my mind the most.

3 Likes

I thought I was paranoid.

1 Like

Paranoid? Just read the headlines. It gets more bizarre every minute, and it’s not like this has never happened anywhere before.

3 Likes
  1. “What Trump’s Doing Is Crazy and Dangerous—and It Ain’t Over Yet”

Um, yes, it is over. Right wing as the Supreme Court is,

a) the legal and factual merits of the Texas case are so extremely weak that effectually overturning the election would blow apart the U.S.,

b) the S.C. will not be willing to be responsible for doing that, especially because

c) large parts of the business community and right are fine with Biden, whereas a political civil war would disrupt their profits and the transfer of power to the right by other means (including invalidating the Biden election and setting up a Trump 2024 revenge vote).

1. “Trump still threatens us, and discussing the election in the past tense is stupid.”

Translation: Isaac to progressives: SHADDUP, ya’ “stupid” lefties, and get your pom-pom’s ready for the January 20 Biden inauguration ceremony so you can cheerlead your hardest - or you’re a Trump-loving traitor to democracy…

…No criticizing Biden or any other establishment Democrat now. Or ever.

3 Likes

Tens of millions cold, hungry, homeless, viral vulnerable will not allow a squatter in the White House.

3 Likes

Some crazy bitch in Manhattan just ran down several peaceful demonstrators. If Trump is not implicated for fomenting his base in this attempted homicide, then he really can get away with shooting someone on 5th Ave.

So why are 117, and counting, members of the House supporting this case? Seems to me the ideological/religious fanaticism of SCOTUS Judges has free reign as they are lifetime appointees.

Oh no? I don’t see your logic and it is certainly evident that the most ultra conservative faction of the SC is incapable of logic.

Don’t the 117, and counting, House reps draw their bribes from these very businesses and count on support from these very people on the right?

What, in this piece, led you to reach that conclusion?

https://kpfa.org/episode/flashpoints-december-11-2020/

Today on the Show: Trump’s final attempt to void the 2020 election results and rule by decree rejected 7-2 by the supreme court. Also we’ll have a frontline update on the battle for the vote in Georgia

https://www.supremecourt.gov/orders/courtorders/121120zr_p860.pdf
(full text provided)

(ORDER LIST: 592 U.S.)
FRIDAY, DECEMBER 11, 2020

ORDER IN PENDING CASE155, ORIG.
TEXAS V. PENNSYLVANIA, ET AL.

The State of Texas’s motion for leave to file a bill of complaint is denied for lack of standing under Article III of the Constitution. Texas has not demonstrated a judicially cognizable interest in the manner in which another State conducts its elections.
All other pending motions are dismissed as moot.

Statement of Justice Alito, with whom Justice Thomas joins:
In my view, we do not have discretion to deny the filing of a bill of complaint in a case that falls within our original jurisdiction.
See Arizona v. California, 589 U. S. ___ (Feb. 24, 2020)
(Thomas, J., dissenting). I would therefore grant the motion to file the bill of complaint but would not grant other relief, and I express no view on any other issue.

CERTIORARI GRANTED
20 -222
GOLDMAN SACHS GROUP, ET AL. V. AR TEACHER RETIREMENT, ET AL.
The petition for a writ of certiorari is granted.

Jeffrey, your missing the forest for the trees. Capitalism is so disengaged from reality that stock values skyrocket as joblessness balloons, small businesses are decimated, and productivity chasms. But, instead of getting governance that addresses the concerns of the majority of humanity, the plutocracy has used Trump as a slight of hand, to distract the attention of the masses, as they launch their successful coup to install a government that is dedicated to ensuring sustained capitalist economics and anti-democratic decision making.

2 Likes

Yep, more bizarre…

Why the Failed Fascist Coup of 1933 Could Succeed in 2021

By Harvey Wasserman

~https://readersupportednews.org/opinion2/277-75/66649-rsn-why-the-failed-fascist-coup-of-1933-could-succeed-in-2021

3 Likes