Home | About | Donate

Whatever Happened to Antitrust?

Whatever Happened to Antitrust?

Robert Reich

Last week’s settlement between the Justice Department and five giant banks reveals the appalling weakness of modern antitrust.

Here is a blast (of hot air) from the past:

"Competition is a sin." --John D. Rockefeller

Here is blast from the not so distant past:

"It is not enough for me to win, you must loose"
Larry Ellison, billionaire Oracle founder and CEO

Right on, Robert Reich! And the passages below are just the warm-up to TPP and TIPP:

"We’re now in a new gilded age of wealth and power similar to the first gilded age when the nation’s antitrust laws were enacted. But unlike then, today’s biggest corporations have enough political clout to neuter antitrust.

Conservatives rhapsodize about the “free market” and condemn government intrusion. Yet the market is rigged. And unless government unrigs it through bold antitrust action to restore competition, the upward distributions hidden inside the “free market” will become even larger."

Yet the pig of a judge in Atlanta sent teachers to jail for racketeering ..... but he is still a judge. This is why the whole system needs to be metaphorically "burn to the ground". There are already enough laws on the books but they can only seem to enforce them on poor people. We need a brand new French Revolution.

Metaphoric New French Revolution?

I'm pretty sure Theodore Roosevelt just rolled over in his grave.
So, who out there is up for speaking softly and carrying a big stick - to use against these monopoly wannabes?

Only where it pertains to executing the execution of the obvious 1% criminals, I mean it literally....all else metaphorically.