Home | About | Donate

What's Not in the Latest Terrifying IPCC Report? The "Much, Much, Much More Terrifying" New Research on Climate Tipping Points

What's Not in the Latest Terrifying IPCC Report? The "Much, Much, Much More Terrifying" New Research on Climate Tipping Points

Jon Queally, staff writer

If the latest warnings contained in Monday's report by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC)—which included pronouncements that the world has less than twelve years to drastically alter course to avoid the worst impacts of human-caused global warming and that nothing less than keeping all fossil fuels in the ground is the solution to avoid future calamities—have you at all frightened or despondent, experts responding to the report have a potentially unwelcome message for your already over-burdened heart and mind: It's very likely even worse than you're being told.

It’s likely over. And I’m generally loathe to the lazy appeal of giving up. But this is a done deal.

Nonetheless, survival for the species is still possible, but leftists need to position themselves for that moment. The world will breakdown into increasingly smaller communities as remaining resources allow, so it’s probably a good idea to get on better footing vis a vis the nutter with guns you know will be salivating at finally arriving at their Mad Max paradise.

“only if you love something will you inconvenience yourself to work in it’s behalf” Barbara Kingsolver

Panic is a survival instinct.

Survival of the species–the species who, in the aggregate, is noted for its short memory, inclination to dismiss the long term ramifications of its actions, and its tendency toward greed–is a dubious goal.

I say that the least the species responsible for the sixth extinction can do is go down with the ship.

And I say that as someone who lowered his carbon footprint dramatically, but still burns 100s of times more than the average resident of Mozambique.

It is discouraging that no modern country has figured out how to reduce emissions fast enough. Everything is going too slowly, whether it is making buildings more energy efficient. replacing cars and trucks with poor gas mileage with cars and trucks with better gas mileage or with electric vehicles or plug-in hybrids, making more solar and wind energy available, closing down coal-burning power plants, etc. There is nothing close to a WWII effort and in many cases there is no effort at all and in some cases even an effort to increase the use of fossil fuels. Stopping deforestation is taking too long. Nothing much has been accomplished to limit the methane emissions from ruminants or prevent methane leaks from oil and gas drilling and in the US regulations to curb such leaks have been rolled back. After almost 30 years of trying the international community still does not have a handle on this problem.

We have to heat our houses without natural gas. We know that solar heat can be stored.

We have to generate electricity after dark without natural gas. We know that stored solar heat can generate electricity.

We have to replace our car-strangled freeway system. 90% lifetime energy savings per passenger-mile is a good target. I’m looking for something above-grade where there’s almost nothing to hit for the automated system, probably with cars hanging from cables like ski gondolas, Yes, you can have private cars on such a system and they can affordably park in your garage or even in your apartment building’s elevator shaft.

We have to stabilize the Arctic. Snow making machines would restore the Arctic’s natural albedo on land. We could develop and build wind powered snow making machines.

We have to stabilize the Arctic Ocean’s pack ice. Pumps would bring seawater above the pack ice in midwinter, where below zero Fahrenheit air would create new ice crystals and any residual salt brine would soon find its way back down under the ice.

Now, who on Eaarth (I shouldn’t say who in Hades, this is getting too sensitive an issue now) will fund this work?

1. How about the Dutch government? They’re not stupid. Right? I can hope.

2. How about a progressive state or a regional coalition that wanted local jobs enough to stick its neck out?

3. How about a billionaire who either doesn’t want his great-grandkids starved to death or else he wants to cash in on a trillion dollar market? Take a guess which one gets his/her attention.

4. How about a foundation with more hammers in the box then 1-877-Kars 4 Kids? People would actually contribute to this foundation.

Now, who will volunteer to do the development work, said Henny Penny?

I will, said Harvard University, as soon as you send me a million dollars. We don’t actually have to lift a finger, do we? This is all about spending the money to find out what everybody else is actually doing, a survey paper, right? Then we can move on to hydrogen fusion reactors and clean coal. We’re not actually going to offend the Koch Brothers by putting them out of business, are we? Well, are we?

So, in the end I’m not half as terrified of runaway positive feedback climate change as I am of the people who are basically ten cent allies.

I’m not a nihilist on that score. There are wonderful humans everywhere that could be even more wonderful with the opportunity to be so.

Most of our shortcomings are a result of persistent social conditioning designed to preserve the power of the moment, such as the flaws you cite which are nearly historically and culturally specific.

There are ample examples of human cultures that don’t conform to the western predatory model you refer to. And we can be that again with the dissolution of power when capitalism can no longer exist.

And millions of trees need to be planted across Mother Earth.

Who needs cars? At least the technology used in designing bicycles to be lighter in weight has improved. This means faster bicycles. Watch these videos to see how much of a speed improvement this is: https://www.lucasbrunelle.com/

Just keep having more children. Go shopping. It’s all fine. They will adapt. Don’t forget to recycle.

This article confirms what I posted yesterday on another IPCC article; the IPCC is a very conservative organization. Their figures are low-balling the disastrous projections. Nonlinear warming and destabilisation of ecosystems and the collapse of the food chain is underway.

I wouldn’t put scared money on our chances of survival

But we have no choice but to bet our lives on them

Ignorance is bliss! Sometimes I would like to be an ignorant Trump acolyte that believes climate change is a Chinese hoax. Not terrifying at all!

unfortunately trump & his “advisors” are not paying attention to the dangers. Everyone should heed these warnings, starting with the US Government and Corporations who impact the earth’s riches. Money should NOT be the deciding factor in heeding the warnings that we are being given, the health and safety of the planet and all who live on it are paramount.

Whut th’ – EVERY modern country knows exactly what must be done to reduce emissions fast enough, and that it will be several times as hard and as costly to do it now as it would have been even ten years ago, much less thirty years ago when the problem was first introduced to the public at large. You yourself have outlined most of it! The problem is not the science or the technology, but the greed, denial, and lack of will and integrity of our national and global misleaders in both the private and public sectors.

If human institutions are to play a role in our survival, China will be among them and quite possibly the leader, for better or worse.

The authors’ take on the role of fear is reasonable and measured. Here is FDR’s version, from his First Inaugural Address, famous because of his masterful use of thought and rhetoric:

“So, first of all, let me assert my firm belief that the only thing we have to fear is fear itself—nameless, unreasoning, unjustified terror which paralyzes needed efforts to convert retreat into advance. In every dark hour of our national life a leadership of frankness and vigor has met with that understanding and support of the people themselves which is essential to victory. I am convinced that you will again give that support to leadership in these critical days.”

Note that he implicitly commits to trust the people, even as he asks them to trust in his leadership.

Right now pretty large swaths of the Amazon rain forest are being cut down for soybean and livestock production every year. Planting millions of trees sounds good in theory, but “real” would in general be a useful operating word.

Let us not forget to call out those who retarded a credible response to this pending catastrophe.