Home | About | Donate

When Being Pro-Palestinian and Pro-Israeli Is the Same Thing

When Being Pro-Palestinian and Pro-Israeli Is the Same Thing

Robert Shetterly

While I agree with nearly everything in this article and join the author in celebrating the work of Dr. Rothchild, I am forced to note that this piece is as much a rehash of zionist sins as a tribute to humanitarian work.

That's fine with me even though I would like more details about the subject's life and work. For example, what happened in 1997 that inspired her to examine the Palestinian situation? I would also like to know if she still considers herself a zionist.

There is one point that needs some clarification.

When Netanyahu said recently that he had no intention of allowing a two state solution, many people in the US were shocked.

This sentence seems to imply that the "shock" concerned the policy when it was really in response to Netanyahu's willingness to state it publicly.

mcp

People were shocked he told the truth. Now he's back to prevaricating.

This is a very good article, whose title, especially, imho, tells it all: Israeli Jews and Palestinians both have the right to, and need self-determination in the form of their own independent, sovereign nation-states alongside each other, for normalization, as well as self-determination, due, at least in part, to the severe oppression that both sides have suffered.

What was left out of this articla, however, was the fact that both sides have a long history, even in the not-so-distant past, of inflicting horrific suffering on each other, and yet it's agreed that Israel must do its part by evacuating their troops and rightwing Israeli Jewish settlers out of West Bank, Gaza Strip and East Jerusalem, in order for an independent, sovereign Palestinian nation state to emerge alongside Israel, and to stop the humiliating treatment of innocent Palestinian civilians, as well as the destruction of Palestinian families' homes, and deprivation of food, water and medicine, etc., to the Palestinians.