Home | About | Donate

When Donald Trump’s Mini-Me Met a Rational Grown Up

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2020/10/10/when-donald-trumps-mini-me-met-rational-grown

3 Likes

All this praying Winship advocates hasn’t done much for us up to now. Don’t think it will in the future, either. That said,voting could make a difference.

2 Likes

Two points:

1. Trump’s cultish, armed followers, as shown by the plot to kidnap the governor of Michigan, are also far from “rational” or reasonable, and Trump-Pence-Barr have incited that irrationality and violence, which will not dissipate if Trump loses. In fact, it may get worse. Trump, Pence, Barr, and the rest of their criminal regime may be gone in January, but their deranged, violent followers will not simply disappear.

2. Harris’ flip-flop on Medicare for All and her & Biden’s stupid support for fracking in 2020 show how political opportunism, NOT “rationality”, still rule the Corporate Democrats like Biden, Harris, Pelosi, Schumer, and most of the rest.

Most Americans support Medicare for All and a Green New Deal, but the Corporate Democrats are much more beholden to their corporate sponsors. How is that “rational” in 2020, as more than 7 million Americans are infected by Covid-19 and in need of affordable health care, and more and more of us are being made homeless by the wildfires and extreme storms caused by the Climate Crisis?

Such craven, foolish opposition to desperately needed policies does not bode well for our future.

15 Likes

Dear Wayback Machine,
Forego Pence in 2016 and put Ivanka in the second slut.
Sincerely,
Concerned Americans

4 Likes

The single pragmatic adult voice was Pence’s fly, screaming “Save ME!” But exactly what kinda delusional morons were still watching by then? Throwing another unlosable election.

~https://louisproyect.org/2020/10/09/fascism-trumpism-and-the-left/#comment-417856

1 Like

Put Ivanka in the second slut? Is that a typo, a Freudian slip or something else?

2 Likes

My first thought on reading 'a rational grown-up" was that the fly was the only rational being on that stage. After all, it knows it has one reason for being-to make more flies by feasting on the waste of other species and then laying its eggs in it so that it nourishes a new generation of flies. Simple but complex.
Meanwhile, all humans do is brag how they’re the smartest beings on the planet, the man that knows he knows, trashing the joint to matter where they go, and fight each other at the drop of a hat. Show me the fly that starts a war with other flies.
As for the movie A Face in the Crowd. On my top ten list, one I watch at least once a month to remind me of the power of television to fuck with our minds.

8 Likes

It was done on porpoise!

5 Likes

“sanctimonious and smarmy voice, a tone reminiscent of some unctuous preachers and snake oil hucksters I’ve encountered in my life.”

Couldn’t this describe just about any politician? Reminded me of Hillary and Obama.

6 Likes

The problem with Winship is he is a DNC supporter no matter what and he simply glosses over just how bad Biden/Harris are as candidates. The “Rational grownup” that is Kamala Harris is a Corporate stooge and a Wall Street Champion.

That “she is more rational and grownup then Pence” means nothing if “Nothing really changes under my Presidency” . Nothing in the article articulates good reasons to vote for Harris other then she was not Pence.

9 Likes

Very likely, if Biden wins, they will be out for murderous revenge against blacks, liberals and Democratic politicians. On the other hand, if Trump wins, they will feel invincible and go out murdering blacks, liberals and Democratic politicians, feeling that nothing can stop them.

For most of them, nothing has stopped them, at least yet. Could’ve sent a message in Malheur with the Bundy klan. Could’ve sent messages many times and in many ways and now here we are with the inevitable chaos.

4 Likes

Hi Rakal: LOL, I thought it was meant to be "slut,’ ---- or maybe slot. BUT considering how the Trumps operate—slut seems workable. : )

1 Like

sigh. I keep hoping CD commenters are above misogyny. Not yet, eh?

3 Likes

I wait for the day when wise owls are above misogyny as a form of humour.

2 Likes

After four years of obvious turmoil suffered under the weight of a lying trump administration, any form of negative comment pointed in their direction is acceptable imo.
WiseOwl’s reference was a jab that needed no clarification or comment.

5 Likes

It is only misogyny if you discount the reduction of the office by Trump to political whoredom, or the level of slut-e-ness of the current office holder.

6 Likes

The bar has been lowered to the point that you don’t reach for it, you grab a shovel and dig it out.

1 Like

On learning from this article about Gates’ new book, I originally thought that perhaps Gates had come to realize how wrong DT and all the sycophants are. However, after seeing that he praises DT’s “love of family” and the virtue of “loyalty,” I am not impressed by anything else Gates might have to say.

The right wingers of the world have succeeded in trying to convince us that family, faith, and freedom are the highest values. All these “F” words fail to prioritize truth, love, and justice as being higher values, as I’ve learned from Christian social teaching which prioritizes the common good over selfish, individualistic good. The right wing so-called faith leaders have twisted Jesus’ teachings to prop up their own selfish ends of never-ending accumulation of wealth and privilege.

4 Likes

But hey, he’s the LOTE, right? And the LOTE is always the favorite candidate of lefties, because, as the party of the LOTE keeps insisting, they have nowhere else to go - and they keep BELIEVING them! and then wondering why we are in the pickle we are in …

3 Likes

I’m thinking that the fly stayed so long - so it could lay some eggs and the maggots will grow …

1 Like